Monitor audio bronze 5 Vs Dali Oberon 5 Vs Monitor Audio Silver 6

JJHook

Standard Member
Hello.
Has anyone experienced these speakers in a comparison?
I'm interested in the difference in detail. I own the Oberon 5s and can confirm the large soundstage and reasonable bass (for the the size of them). They have a generally good sound but to my ears lack fine detail in the higher frequencies, though this does improve a little with higher volume. The treble is there, but the detail could be better.
How do the MA Bronze 5s actually compare on detail in the higher frequencies, particular at lower volumes?
How do the Silver 6 compare to the Bronze 5 or Oberon 5 on upper frequency detail clarity?
Much appreciated.

Orobas

Hello.
I'm interested in the difference in detail. I own the Oberon 5s and can confirm the large soundstage and reasonable bass (for the the size of them). They have a generally good sound but to my ears lack fine detail in the higher frequencies, though this does improve a little with higher volume. The treble is there, but the detail could be better.
How do the MA Bronze 5s actually compare on detail in the higher frequencies, particular at lower volumes?
How do the Silver 6 compare to the Bronze 5 or Oberon 5 on upper frequency detail clarity?
Much appreciated.
We're gonna need a fair bit of additional information on this one..

1.. What amp and source are you using..
2.. Size and shape of room
3.. What music (or av use?) are you using

JJHook

Standard Member
We're gonna need a fair bit of additional information on this one..

1.. What amp and source are you using..
2.. Size and shape of room
3.. What music (or av use?) are you using
Hello.
Cambridge 851a
Smsl m500 DAC ESS 9038 pro
I listen to mainly rock, metal, extreme metal. Sometimes 80s pop, occasionally classical.
AV is secondary.

JJHook

Standard Member
I don't want to waste anyone's time regarding room conditioning etc. I have a previous thread and have been involved in other discussions about this. I really am just asking if anyone has had more than just a quick listen experience comparison of these speakers as I'm considering a change. Obviously a listen in advance may not be possible as they are only available on the used market.

Orobas

Hello.
Cambridge 851a
Smsl m500 DAC ESS 9038 pro
I listen to mainly rock, metal, extreme metal. Sometimes 80s pop, occasionally classical.
AV is secondary.
The MA's will be better suited to the Cambridge than the Dali will be.

The Dali is too polite for that style of music also! it will play it of course but it is a much more refined listening speaker. Plus the Dali often needs a sub reinforcement to help with the lower end due to its dinky size :)

The Silver is the better of the 2 MA's obviously.. but it also needs alot more room to breathe.. if you have a good half decent sized room (30sqm or more..) the Silvers are the best bet i would say.

Now shops are reopening ... if you have a Richer Sound near you.. give em a call and they will book a 1-2-1 session for you to demo. It's well worth the effort to check out before you take the plunge.

password1

Distinguished Member
The MA's will be better suited to the Cambridge than the Dali will be.

The Dali is too polite for that style of music also! it will play it of course but it is a much more refined listening speaker. Plus the Dali often needs a sub reinforcement to help with the lower end due to its dinky size :)

The Silver is the better of the 2 MA's obviously.. but it also needs alot more room to breathe.. if you have a good half decent sized room (30sqm or more..) the Silvers are the best bet i would say.

Now shops are reopening ... if you have a Richer Sound near you.. give em a call and they will book a 1-2-1 session for you to demo. It's well worth the effort to check out before you take the plunge.
Impossible to demo unless they have old stock.

The new bronze 200 have gone up in price and are now £625 which makes them almost as much as thqa concept 40s at £699 which are on a par with the £999-£1099 silver 200s.

Helix Hifi

Hello.
Much appreciated.
I can’t say my Oberon 5 is shy in the treble. All the Dali speakers have a bold treble, linear midrange, punchy deep bass. Fairly neutral, but also some warmth in the lower midrange/bass. But since the treble response is quite liquid it should not sound like you describe. I’d try experiment with speaker placement. Or perhaps they are not the correct speakers for you. If you want more treble energy I’d check out Tannoy XT F6, XT F8 speakers. Tannoy in my view have bright treble response. A bit too bright for me. But I don’t know if Tannoy makes the XT-series anymore. Good luck.

toon10

I'd be wary of the MA Silver 6 and CA combination. I have the Silver 6's and auditioned your amp along with the 851N streamer with my speakers at Richer Sounds. Coming from a cheap Yamaha RN-602, I was expecting a lot more but the combination just didn't work (for me at least.) I don't think it's the CA amp but the combination sounded pretty flat and lifeless. I know the speakers are impressive as I'm still using them with my Naim Uniti Nova, I just don't think they pair that well with the CA kit.

JJHook

Standard Member
Thanks much appreciated. I can believe it. My brother has an Arcam SA20 paired with some old 3 way AE aegis Evo 3s which are similar material drivers to MAs but with a silk dome tweeter. It sounds good, actually really good. With my amp those speakers sound flat too but the Arcam amp with my Dali's sounds remarkably similar to the way my CA amp sounds. The CA actually sounds a tad better in terms of speed and rythem. Before buying the Arcam, he trialled a CA cx81 at home with the Evo 3s and that combination sounded truly awful.
obviously, it's probably nonsense but it makes me wonder whether the rigid ceramic / composite style drivers are a little more fussy at amp matching than maybe wood pulp / paper / Kevlar etc

JJHook

Standard Member
Hello. I was at Richer Sounds yesterday for a demo. Unfortunately they didn't have any Oberon 5s to compare but I did compare some MA silver 200, 300 and Focal Aria 926 on my Cambridge 851A and on a Marantz 7000n. I've posted my findings in a separate post. I was surprised that on all three sets of speakers sounded very similar on the Marantz and Cambridge in terms of tone, balance, air and soundstage. The Marantz sounded just a little bit drier than the Cambridge but not in a bad way, just very slightly different. I wouldn't say one sounded brighter or warmer, more forward etc. Having said all of this, previous demonstrations of the Cxa81 to me did have a brighter sound than the Azur851a, which was one of the reasons for my purchase of the 851a in the first place. I wonder if this applies to other brands too i.e. as their models increase in spec and cost, the sound just becomes flatter and more transparent and loses some of the brand's sound signature which is apparent on the entry or mid level equipment.

Orobas

Hello. I was at Richer Sounds yesterday for a demo. Unfortunately they didn't have any Oberon 5s to compare but I did compare some MA silver 200, 300 and Focal Aria 926 on my Cambridge 851A and on a Marantz 7000n. I've posted my findings in a separate post. I was surprised that on all three sets of speakers sounded very similar on the Marantz and Cambridge in terms of tone, balance, air and soundstage. The Marantz sounded just a little bit drier than the Cambridge but not in a bad way, just very slightly different. I wouldn't say one sounded brighter or warmer, more forward etc. Having said all of this, previous demonstrations of the Cxa81 to me did have a brighter sound than the Azur851a, which was one of the reasons for my purchase of the 851a in the first place. I wonder if this applies to other brands too i.e. as their models increase in spec and cost, the sound just becomes flatter and more transparent and loses some of the brand's sound signature which is apparent on the entry or mid level equipment.
Well.. thats a surprise for me and i'll make a mental note on the MA/CA combo.. Cambridge have always tried to get their amps to work alongside the MA series!
One of the reasons i did mention to go demo at a RS :) to physically hear for yourself.. Goes to show that spec and promotions dont always work together :)
Huge thanks for the update @JJHook

JJHook

Standard Member
Well.. thats a surprise for me and i'll make a mental note on the MA/CA combo.. Cambridge have always tried to get their amps to work alongside the MA series!
One of the reasons i did mention to go demo at a RS :) to physically hear for yourself.. Goes to show that spec and promotions dont always work together :)
Huge thanks for the update @JJHook
Hello.
I have to say though, the 300s were a big improvement on the 200s with the 851a.

Helix Hifi

Hello.
I have to say though, the 300s were a big improvement on the 200s with the 851a.
From understanding you have the Cambridge and don’t like it. Correct? I have to say I agree with @Orobas. Listing in your own environment makes all the difference in the world then at your local dealer. That being said I’m very surprised you didn’t hear any major difference between Cambridge and the Marantz amplifier. Marantz is very detailed, but rolled of in treble. The midrange is laid back and is also very airy. It gives the sense of wide soundstage that is a tad soft compared too other brands. The bass is precise, but slower then others. It is sound you either love or hate. Cambridge is completely different. More attack in the sound. Emphasis the treble and so. But both brands are very good. Try some amplifiers at home.

JJHook

Standard Member
Hello. I have the CA851a with Oberon 5s. Some upper mids and treble detail goes missing when the music gets busy. I listen to metal and the issue doesn't seem to exist on slower and less complexed music.
The idea behind trying out new speakers and an alternative similarly priced amp was to try to discover if I can rectify my issue with the replacement of one or the other amp or speakers. Unfortunately the Oberon 5s weren't at the store for a direct comparison but I did listen to others as outlined in my previous posts. I didn't hear the significant difference you describe between the CA851A and the Marantz 7000n on the speakers tested. To my ears, they both carried similar tone, detail, drive and presence on the speakers tested, other than the Marantz sounding very slightly drier as previously mentioned, which I suppose some may perceive as softer.
Agreed, nothing is going to test a setup better than at home but in this case I simply needed to satisfy myself that other combinations with or without my amp might solve the issue and I think they can. Both Amps sounded great with the silver 300s and the Focal Aria 926, not so much with the silver 200s. It's worth noting I tested at reasonable and realistic everyday volume levels.

It may be simply that metal music is better with 3 way speakers to help seperate out the busyness in the mids and trebles.
The next step is to find and test some B&W 603s and Focal Chora 926, then choose one to test at home. Unfortunately, the Aria 926 may be out of my budget, but they were superb to my ears.

Helix Hifi

Hello. I have the CA851a with Oberon 5s. Some upper mids and treble detail goes missing when the music gets busy. I listen to metal and the issue doesn't seem to exist on slower and less complexed music.
The idea behind trying out new speakers and an alternative similarly priced amp was to try to discover if I can rectify my issue with the replacement of one or the other amp or speakers. Unfortunately the Oberon 5s weren't at the store for a direct comparison but I did listen to others as outlined in my previous posts. I didn't hear the significant difference you describe between the CA851A and the Marantz 7000n on the speakers tested. To my ears, they both carried similar tone, detail, drive and presence on the speakers tested, other than the Marantz sounding very slightly drier as previously mentioned, which I suppose some may perceive as softer.
Agreed, nothing is going to test a setup better than at home but in this case I simply needed to satisfy myself that other combinations with or without my amp might solve the issue and I think they can. Both Amps sounded great with the silver 300s and the Focal Aria 926, not so much with the silver 200s. It's worth noting I tested at reasonable and realistic everyday volume levels.

It may be simply that metal music is better with 3 way speakers to help seperate out the busyness in the mids and trebles.
The next step is to find and test some B&W 603s and Focal Chora 926, then choose one to test at home. Unfortunately, the Aria 926 may be out of my budget, but they were superb to my ears.
Yes, I see your point. I use the Oberon 5 with PM8006 (Marantz) and I’m pretty happy with the sound stage I get. The 603 are in my opinion warmer sounding the Oberon 5. They don’t have the same mid bass slam which the Dali speakers deliver. But the 603 have leaner bass, but of course deeper. So it depends on what sound you like. But all in all the Dali speakers sound more exiting then the B&W speakers. Of course both are great speakers, and to be honest sometimes I miss the fuller midrange of the 603 speakers. Sadly there isn’t any perfect speaker. Perhaps also try and see if you listen to the Oberon 9. Good luck .

JJHook

Standard Member
Thanks for the notes on the 603s. I've seen seemingly contradictory views on the 603s, some saying they are warmer, others saying they are colder & accurate. I'll look forward to finding out!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom