Monitor audio bronze 1 or new Bronze 50

Adziadam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the Monitor Audio Bronze 200 floor standing speakers on order with richer sounds due end of May/Jun which is the latest series
I am looking to get some Monitor bronze book shelf speakers I am torn between the old series and the new series as below:

Monitor audio bronze 50 £260
Brand Monitor Audio
Colour White
Bi Wireable Yes
Weight (KG) 5
Freq Response (Hz) 40 - 30,000
Speaker Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 166 x 265 x 281
Sensitivity (dB) 85
Impedance (ohms) 8
Power Rating (Watts) 80
Speaker Enclosure Type Bass Reflex

Or i can get cheaper Monitor audio bronze 1 (old generation) £126
Brand Monitor Audio
Colour Black
Sensitivity (dB) 88
Impedance (ohms) 8
Power Rating (Watts) 70
Weight (KG) 3.5
Black Yes
Freq Response (Hz) 55 - 30,000
Speaker Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 165 x 205 x 260

The problem is not many people have heard the new series but i could save some money at the same time and get the old ones not sure what the best thing to do any help would be appreciated.

Also my system is as follows:
Denon x2600h
Cambridge audio sx120
Tannoy centre speaker << Probably going to replace
Wharfdale diamond 9 << looking to replace with the above
Wharfdale diamond 9 height speaker for atmos

Thanks
Adam

Hi all,

I have the Monitor Audio Bronze 200 floor standing speakers on order with richer sounds due end of May/Jun which is the latest series
I am looking to get some Monitor bronze book shelf speakers I am torn between the old series and the new series as below:

Monitor audio bronze 50 £260
Brand Monitor Audio
Colour White
Bi Wireable Yes
Weight (KG) 5
Freq Response (Hz) 40 - 30,000
Speaker Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 166 x 265 x 281
Sensitivity (dB) 85
Impedance (ohms) 8
Power Rating (Watts) 80

Or i can get cheaper Monitor audio bronze 1 (old generation) £126
Brand Monitor Audio
Colour Black
Sensitivity (dB) 88
Impedance (ohms) 8
Power Rating (Watts) 70
Weight (KG) 3.5
Black Yes
Freq Response (Hz) 55 - 30,000
Speaker Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 165 x 205 x 260

The problem is not many people have heard the new series but i could save some money at the same time and get the old ones not sure what the best thing to do any help would be appreciated.

Also my system is as follows:
Denon x2600h
Cambridge audio sx120
Tannoy centre speaker << Probably going to replace
Wharfdale diamond 9 << looking to replace with the above
Wharfdale diamond 9 height speaker for atmos

Thanks
Adam

Hi! I assume you meant surround speakers either Bronze 50 or 1, as you have ordered the 200 floorstanding speakers already. Correct? I would rather put the money in new centre channel first if possible! For movies it would make more sense if the Tannoy is from cheap range then you would have even better reason to swap it right away. Bronze 200 & Centre shares identical drivers.

Regarding 50 vs. 1 no one knows yet with direct comparison to old range how much the new has changed. I have owned the B1s as surrounds and they do fine job, but still i would be curious with the new one. If you get buyers remorse easily, don´t make rushed decisions. Wait until the new range is out and go listen both models head to head at RS. :)

The 149£ subwoofer could be on upgrade list later on aswell, but you might need bit larger budget for that (350-600£).

Yeh I meant surround speakers, as the floor standers are on order due to be delivered at some point in the future. As it stands I have 4x diamond 9 speakers which I am looking to replace.

I am going to upgrade the tannoy eclipse centre for the monitor audio bronze c150 which is due to release soon as centre audio as it stands isnt that great.

The temptation and price is the tempting and a fact the old range is discontinued I am worried about waiting.

I guess I should hold fire on the bronze 1s

Yeh I meant surround speakers, as the floor standers are on order due to be delivered at some point in the future. As it stands I have 4x diamond 9 speakers which I am looking to replace.

I am going to upgrade the tannoy eclipse centre for the monitor audio bronze c150 which is due to release soon as centre audio as it stands isnt that great.

The temptation and price is the tempting and a fact the old range is discontinued I am worried about waiting.

I guess I should hold fire on the bronze 1s

No issue then if you buy both about same time . If you were to choose then center channel first. Lot more important than surround channels. Notice the new Bronze 50 are good bit larger than B1, taller and deeper so they are also more capable but that is not issue for "rears" in typical lounge cinemas. They have new drivers and the waweguide is similar to Silver range for wider dispersion. And then you need to remember the finish is different too, which may or may not matter. I hate the waiting too mate, but good things happen those for who wait, haha. If you buy all speakers from the same range then you would basically have identical drivers all around (200, C150, 50) which would be quite nice. Not requirement, but definitely won´t hurt to have perfect tonal match (almost as the center is horizontal). :)

Yeh thanks for your help, I guess i should stick to the new range, damn expensive though, I am managing to get RS to knock some money off considering I am buying a few units before release.

Yeh thanks for your help, I guess i should stick to the new range, damn expensive though, I am managing to get RS to knock some money off considering I am buying a few units before release.
Would you be interested in a pair of old model bronze FX's as rears? I'm looking to sell mine. They are fab speakers, designed to be mounted on either the side walls (ideally) or rear wall behind MLP. They provide a fantastic surround sound experience imo. Only reason im selling is because im upgrading to MA Silvers!

See some pics for condition etc. Looking for £100 - delivery not included. I don't have original boxes, but do have the manual etc.
They are only 20mnths old too. From a smoke free home. The grilles have never been removed.

Let me know if you're interested :)

Attachments

• 20200627_163950.jpg
    20200627_163950.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200627_163946.jpg
    20200627_163946.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200627_163945.jpg
    20200627_163945.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200627_163936.jpg
    20200627_163936.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200627_163934.jpg
    20200627_163934.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 108
Would you be interested in a pair of old model bronze FX's as rears? I'm looking to sell mine. They are fab speakers, designed to be mounted on either the side walls (ideally) or rear wall behind MLP. They provide a fantastic surround sound experience imo. Only reason im selling is because im upgrading to MA Silvers!

See some pics for condition etc. Looking for £100 - delivery not included. I don't have original boxes, but do have the manual etc.
They are only 20mnths old too. From a smoke free home. The grilles have never been removed.

Let me know if you're interested :)
Thanks for the offer but I'm getting 6th gen bronze speakers which are coming next week which will have the new fx line up.

Thanks for the offer but I'm getting 6th gen bronze speakers which are coming next week which will have the new fx line up.
No worries. If they're as good as the old gen fx's, you're in for a treat mate!

I hope so setting up 5.1.2 with the new series with a diff sub so hopefully big difference than previous setup
What sub you using?

I went for a Xtz 8.17 sub didn't really want to spend £500 on a sub yet considering how much all the other speakers cost
Nowt wrong with that sub. Should be a good setup.

I know what you mean though. I've just dropped some heavy dosh on a Samsung Q95T TV! 🙊

Expensive hobby :) costs never seem to end
In the last 6mnths ive bought/upgraded:

My AVR
4x Atmos Speakers
BK P12-300SB-PR Subwoofer
Stereo integrated amp
The Samsung TV.

Now in the process of raising funds to upgrade my 5.1 base layer to Monitor Silvers!

In the last 6mnths ive bought/upgraded:

My AVR
4x Atmos Speakers
BK P12-300SB-PR Subwoofer
Stereo integrated amp
The Samsung TV.

Now in the process of raising funds to upgrade my 5.1 base layer to Monitor Silvers!
I was keeping an eye out on those bk subs seem really good quality to add to my expense i also picked up a C9 55inch :(

I was keeping an eye out on those bk subs seem really good quality
I've no complaints about the sub at all. I was lucky I got in before the pandemic kicked in. 😊

Expensive hobby :) costs never seem to end
Tell me about it. Went from MA Bronze to MA Silver albeit when the last generation were being discontinued so managed to get a great deal on the silvers. For a long time thought I’d never need to upgrade. Bought a MA Gold centre this week - will probably be the start of a slippery slope!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom