Monitor Audio B4s, Aegis Evo 3s, or Mission M34s?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lostinapc, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm looking at getting some new floorstanders.
    I have around 300 for them and i will be getting the matching centre as well (about 130£s)

I have seen the B4s for 315 and Aegis Evos for 280, while the M34s are 230.

I've demoed the B4s and Evos, but didn't have my own cd for the Evos and there's no where near that sells them.

What do you guys think of them? I'd like something with a bit of punch and that are good for music. I like the B4s but did think they were lacking a little in the midrange. Is this view shared?

What hifi liked both the B4 and the Evos, saying that the B4s was slightly too bassy, which I am not going to complain about :)

Also the B4s are 6ohms, not many other speakers seem to be. What are the advantages/disadvantages to this? The matching centre will be 6ohms and I think my rears will be 6ohms too. Is it good to keep it matching?

Thanks for any info!
    Robert

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    what amp are you going to be using the speakers with losinapc??

3. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, thought I said.
    probably the denon 1705, i put a thread in the other forum about an amp :)
    Thanks

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Have you thought about second hand?
    Monitor Audio s6's would be my choice. You should be able to get them for £300- £350 these days.

5. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm any ideas as to where? i just had a quick look on ebay and couldn't see them

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Check classifieds. Cheeky I know.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evo3B pack is available new @ £670 and would be my choice from your original options at that price. At full prices it would be a throw up between them and the monitor audios!

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I know they're not on your list, but have you considered the Mordaunt-Short brand? I was in the same position as you and went for the new Avant 906 (maple finish) - Got them for £280, normally £350. If you look at their website in the Avant section, you will see whether theyre styling is for you or not. I first went for the smaller 904s which were good, but like you I wanted a little more low end punch, so upgraded to the more powerful 906 version. I am over the moon with them. As soon as I unpacked them, I knew I had made the right decision. The main thing obviously though, they deliver a hell of a sound! I use them for movies and music, and they fit the bill with both. Here I am waffling on and for all I know u might hate the damn speakers! If this is the case, I can tell you I have heard the Acoustic Energy Evos in action and theyre not short of a bit of clout either. I would imagine the B4s are similar.
    Greg

9. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I was originally thinking of the 914s, but was put off by just the one bass cone.
    My main problem is finding places to hear these speakers.
    I have listened to the B4s, and the aegis briefly, but i'd want to hear them again, but not the MS. I'd also really like to hear the missions.
    Is there much difference in the MS old ones and new ones?
    280 sounds appealing.
    What amp are you running it through?
    I'm trying to keep that around 250, 300 tops.

10. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, forgot to say Thanks!
    You too bobbypunk, that is a pretty good buy.
    is the sub good in that package?
    I don't really need the rears.
    I am leaning towards the aegis at the moment because of the price and reviews, it is just tough to demo them.
    Thanks,
    Robert

11. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a quick look, bobbypunk, can you recommend somewhere selling them at that price? it definitely looks interesting, i was thinking of getting a sub, and although i don't need the rears, it'd be nice if i was getting the other 4 speakers!
    I've found them for 700 here:
    http://uk.onino.com/home_cinema_speakers/acoustic_energy_aegis_evo_3b.html
    but not been able to take 30 off.
    Thanks,
    Robert

12. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U can demo any of the Mordaunt-Short Avant range at Richer Sounds, just ring them before you go incase theyre not in stock. I am running mine with a Yamaha DSP-AX640SE and they do very well indeed. If I had the choice I would probably go for something with a bit more power, a bit higher end - something like a Pioneer AX3, or even better the Yamaha 2400 (£650 at Superfi at the moment!)

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Where do you live lostinapc that you cant get to a shop to get a demo of anything? Superfi have them in at £700. They also do a price match scheme and deliver for free! :devil:
    www.superfi.co.uk
    I would happily demo mine for you but you probably live in the outer Hebrades or something equally far out :)

14. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that I would rather go for the MS309 sub, people seem to like it more (inc you), and skip the rears so I'll probably not go for the package.

Did you audition the Missions and Monitor Audio B4s?
    What made you pick the EVOs?

I'm in Rugby, nr Coventry
    A fair distance from you
    I shall do some phoning around next week when I finish work and am back from holiday, try and find a decent place with some speakers to audition.

Robert

15. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avant 906s all the way! You know it makes sence! While youre at it, get yourself the matching 905c centre (its only £120). This is the setup I am using and, not being biased, it really is quality all round, especially when ran in! All I want now is the 309 sub... if only I had the cash!

16. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would be more tempted to look into them if i could find them for the 280, or even 300... i've only found them at 350 though.

17. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres an internet company called hificonfidential.com, who do them for £290 (although these speakers arent actually on their website). Richer Sounds have a price beat policy, they will knock £10 off whatever price theyre beating. This is how I got mine, I assume it will work for anyone.

18. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool thanks, I'll look into it. And I was so pleased when I had my choices narrowed down to 2 options...

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I liked the look and the sound they produced. I was tempted by the MS but I couldnt afford to stretch to £300 or so for the main. I also looked at the missions but couldnt find anywhere to demo them so i gave them up and went for the evos. Especially when i heard them in action:D

20. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've found the evos for 250 now on hispek.com, for that sort of price i can't not get them!
    i don't think the monitor audios will be 65£s better. the centre is only 110 from there as well.
    is a sony amp (795) a good pairing with these?
    what about a denon (1705 or the 1905)?
    i've also found the harman kardon 505LE @ hificonfidential.com (thanks ms-yam) for 250

which do people think is probably the best.
    i'm probably going to be sticking with 5.1 for the forseeable future.

i'm also looking at the ms309 sub to pair with these, it isn't important to keep the sub the same make is it?
    Thanks!
    Robert

21. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just get tham at that price :D

No it doesnt matter who manufacters the the sub in most cases. The 309 compliments the Evo's very well.:D Although a SVS would be better:devil: