1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monitor audio asw100 sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by adox, Dec 9, 2002.

1. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone have any opinion on the monitor audio asw100 sub? i need a sub to finish off my h.c. set up, and this one is available at my local rs(dublin) for 400 euro, about £250 sterling. that`s as far as my budget can stretch and i can`t seem to find a sub that is well thought of for this price. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

my setup:
    marantz sr4300 receiver
    mission m73 fronts
    mission 77c1 centre
    mission m70 rears

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would surgest you don't get one at that price, it was £150 at hifibitz a while ago.

That sub would not be much improvement over your M73 front speakers anyway.

£250 is a tough price for good sound, are you any good at DIY if you are?

For approx ~£270 you could build: http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_sw2_active_subwoofer.htm

Or even better for just above £300: http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_sw3_active_subwoofer.htm

I use the SW2 with my M73's and it sounds so much better than most low-mid priced subwoofers.

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wouldn`t have a clue on diy to be honest.
    since posting the original thread, i have ordered a paradigm pdr10 from rs dublin. still waiting to see if they can get me one. it seems to be the best option for the price. any thoughts on that?
    otherwise i might have to consider spending alot more, maybe on a velodyne cht-10 from the power buy section,but ideally would like to stay within my budget. the paradigm(if they ever get me one)will cost about £180 sterling. if i go for the velodyne, it will be twice that. i know the velodyne is far better,and everyone will recommend it, but a budget is a budget, and i don`t want to overstretch myself.
    anyway thanks for the response. i would be interested to hear your views on the paradigm.

4. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do these compare to say the Q100e and the Velodynes?

5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Mr Bigglesworth,

I havent heard the Velodyne or the REL Q100 so I could not say for certain with is the best, there are posts about the IPL SW2 in the forum, if you search I am sure you can find them.