Question Monitor Audio Apex Set up - What ATMOS ceiling speakers

graymattor

Hi All,

I have a Monitor Audio Apex and 5.1 (1 x A40 and 4 x A10) plus a BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR, coupled up to a Denon X3600H.

I am looking to take my set up to the next level and introduce ATMOS ceiling speakers (i assume this is the next step and a worthy one), what would you all recommend, what manufacturer is either best or best suited to match what i have? would you go 4x or 2x ceiling speakers? budget wise I've not really thought about it, i don't want cheap cheap but don't want bank breaking so somewhere in the middle of the road would be good.

For info, not if it makes any difference but i will in the future also be looking at adding an additional P12-300SB-PR

This is my first 'proper' audio set up, absolutely loving the Apex range, the only thing i may change is the front A10's to A40's (its a shame they didn't make stands for them, may have to look at fabricating something) for a bit more oomph, but other than that it suits be just great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi mate!

I think you had couch against rear wall. That often means 5.1.2, so just one pair. If you can however push it forward then add another pair instantly!

This model is what MA recommends for Atmos:

KEF could be another great option, the better QR model:

Also cheaper option with enclosure if sound leaking could be issue. CP range has more models if money isn`t issue.

If you can go with .4 and don`t want to break bank, RS has exclusive KEF model quite cheap.

graymattor

Hi mate!

I think you had couch against rear wall. That often means 5.1.2, so just one pair. If you can however push it forward then add another pair instantly!

This model is what MA recommends for Atmos:

KEF could be another great option, the better QR model:

Also cheaper option with enclosure if sound leaking could be issue. CP range has more models if money isn`t issue.

If you can go with .4 and don`t want to break bank, RS has exclusive KEF model quite cheap.

Hi Gasp,

How are you doing? long time no speak, its been a crazy busy year!!!! i hope you are well..

Thank you for the pointers, always appreciated,

As it stands i have the couch about 1m away from the back wall, so, its close but not up against, i guess with you saying this if you go with 4 speakers you would have 2 behind and two in front rather than all 4 in front/just above you?

Sound bleed could certainly be an issue, i was regardless going to fit covers over the speakers which is extra cost but i think a worth while one.

The price of all your links are acceptable if only going with 2 speakers, if going for 4 i would probably want to go the mid to cheaper of the ones you have specified. the MA ones are interesting with them using the same gold tweeters as the Apex.

I assume ATMOS is the next step rather than a 7.1? (or 7.2)

What should i be looking for in ATMOS speakers? i have heard KEF mentioned quite a bit (someone local has a second hand set of KEF CI3-80QT (x2) and CI130QR (x4))

I am looking at this now due to in the new year i will be starting to decorate the bedroom above the living room so i can lift the floor for cable routing. Another quick question are there any issues running speaker cables down an outside wall in conduit?

Thanks

gibbsy

As it stands i have the couch about 1m away from the back wall, so, its close but not up against, i guess with you saying this if you go with 4 speakers you would have 2 behind and two in front rather than all 4 in front/just above you?
You want the rearmost Atmos speakers to be behind rather than above. The correct placement will ensure that the bubble of sound will be taken back behind you and they should be outside the surrounds. You should certainly not have the four speakers in front of your MLP.

5.1.4 Overhead Speaker Setup - Dolby

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp,

How are you doing? long time no speak, its been a crazy busy year!!!! i hope you are well..

Thank you for the pointers, always appreciated,

Sound bleed could certainly be an issue, i was regardless going to fit covers over the speakers which is extra cost but i think a worth while one.

The price of all your links are acceptable if only going with 2 speakers, if going for 4 i would probably want to go the mid to cheaper of the ones you have specified. the MA ones are interesting with them using the same gold tweeters as the Apex.

I assume ATMOS is the next step rather than a 7.1? (or 7.2)

What should i be looking for in ATMOS speakers? i have heard KEF mentioned quite a bit (someone local has a second hand set of KEF CI3-80QT (x2) and CI130QR (x4))

I am looking at this now due to in the new year i will be starting to decorate the bedroom above the living room so i can lift the floor for cable routing. Another quick question are there any issues running speaker cables down an outside wall in conduit?

Thanks

The link Gibbsy posted has the placement from up and from side so you see the angles you should aim for.

Neither of these has the same exact tweeters to Apex. They don´t need to be from same brand so keep on eye of good deals. The KEF CI130QR with the better tweeter would be very intresting if low price. It´s a step up from the ER i linked.

Also some CL-2 rated speaker wire 14AWG so no issues later with insurance if something happens.

Also some speaker hoods check where you can find cheapest..

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom