Monitor Audio Apex Owners Thread

Hi,

got my apex just some weeks ago and very satisfied at the moment. (also got a new yamaha a2060) What do you use as the crossover frequency? At the moment i use 80hz for all of them. (4xa10, 1xa40).

Frequency on the sub is set to 120hz.

You guys have similar settings for the crossover?
Best way forward on this is to try an increase in xover, have a critical listen and then try again if need be
I would set the xover to 100Hz, providing your sub is good for that, have a listen, and in my world listening for two elements, not isolating the sub so you can position it as the sub needs to be blended fully with the sats, and secondly listen to the voicing (in my experience the lower the xover the more muddled voicing becomes as you drop down the frequency register)
Final point, if you like your system loud then I believe conventional wisdom says set your xover higher........I have pretty much always set my speakers around 100Hz, even my M6s
But, as always, this is a very individual setting, and when you get to the point that you like then that's the one

Agree with this and tend to up the frequency on the centre if the voicing is hard to understand. Although this is very at the volumes we watch films which is around -25.

Thank you a lot guys, will test it on the weekend. :) (especially the 100hz which looks like the way to go for most of you)

@Rick84: -25 to -20 is also our volume for movies.

Thought I'd throw a pic up of the setup as it is now. Last addition to the setup was the Rotel RMB-1555.

IMG_1477072681.776532.jpg

Hi Steve,

I was worried but I needn't be, they work great. I got some Silver FX up and running in. Initially I was disappointed with the rear sound stage but they seem to be opening up more & more. The manual states they need around 60-70hrs of playback for running in which they've had less than half.

I sent Monitor Audio some pics and dimensions of my room and they suggested the placement of the FX.

Hey Rick, thats good to hear. As for the fx, yes they did take a while. But as your running them with a pa all the better. I have found they can take 90hz crossover at above ref with no signs of strain. I have mine about 1.5ft above ear level. (1.5ft from ear to about centre of driver) and they are pretty spot on.

Mine are on back wall

Mine are higher than that I think, would need to measure. I place them at ear height when standing which a little over 6ft.

I'll have a play and lower them slightly next week before channeling the wires.

Coolio, See if you can try them a bit lower, as we both sit pretty much on the back wall. I found that slightly lower and sofa out by about a foot, maybe less was quite a good sound.

Thought I'd throw a pic up of the setup as it is now. Last addition to the setup was the Rotel RMB-1555.

View attachment 775620
Nice socks!!!!
Oh, and nice painted toe nails if I am allowed?

Great set up, need to shoot for 2 x A40s as L&R if you can, angled in to your MLP slightly, same position and you will be amazed!

Thanks, the toe nails are mine and the sock are the wife's :)

I spoke to the wife about about two A40s and she replied "it looks stupid" so that was that :-(

Contemplating 2 things......

1, Swop out the Audiolab for an Anthem, just for ARC.

2, keep the Audiolab and utilise the 5.1 analogue outputs on my CA 751bd into the Audiolab's Multichannel inputs.

I tried it briefly with just the front 3 channels and the sound is better. The sound is more spacious with loads more detail.

Thanks, the toe nails are mine and the sock are the wife's :)

I spoke to the wife about about two A40s and she replied "it looks stupid" so that was that :-(

Contemplating 2 things......

1, Swop out the Audiolab for an Anthem, just for ARC.

2, keep the Audiolab and utilise the 5.1 analogue outputs on my CA 751bd into the Audiolab's Multichannel inputs.

I tried it briefly with just the front 3 channels and the sound is better. The sound is more spacious with loads more detail.
Or add a dirac unit? Then you still get the audio quality of your audiolab?

Considering this too, not cheap though. Just measured Silver FX, they're sat 175cm from the floor to the centre of the driver l.

I might widen them too. What distance are yours from the side walls ?

I have mine set 2.4m apart (driver to driver) approx 50cm above ear again driver centre. The left is 70cm from wall and the right has 1.3m to a wall.

I found that when they were higher the sound fired above and more infront of mlp, now they are still not localisable but do quite a good effect. Sofa is 20cm from back wall.

20161023_114234.jpg

I have mine set 2.4m apart (driver to driver) approx 50cm above ear again driver centre. The left is 70cm from wall and the right has 1.3m to a wall.

I found that when they were higher the sound fired above and more infront of mlp, now they are still not localisable but do quite a good effect. Sofa is 20cm from back wall.

View attachment 776328

Could you not position your Silver FX on the side walls to the right and left of your sofa? As that would be the correct position I believe?

Could you not position your Silver FX on the side walls to the right and left of your sofa? As that would be the correct position I believe?

The stairs to the left of the picture would say not. If I could, they would already be in said position.:smashin:

But thank you for the input;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom