Question Monitor Audio Apex AW12

disco74

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am after some help/advice
I have just bought a Monitor audio Apex system.
With that comes the AW12 subwoofer. I used to have a BK XLS200 which worked fine.
I am having trouble with the AW12. I believe I have set it up correctly and I have set the power mode switch to auto but for some reason it doesnt turn itself automatically.
If I turn up the volume on my amp(Denon X2600h) really high, sometimes it does come on.
It also puts itself into stand by when I turn the amp down or if there is a long, quiet scene in a movie.
Could it be my amp is not powerful enough?
Is it safe to leave the subwoofers power mode switch in the always on position?

Many Thanks

HI

Yes it's perfectly safe to leave in the always on position. Regarding the auto on, what's the amp set the subwoofer level at? Sometimes the trigger signal can be particularly weak if the amp has set the level to very low, I had a similar problem with a Velodyne sub, the amp always set it to -12db, even if the subwoofer gain was turned right down, solved it by leaving it on all the time.

yes when I ran the audyssey setup the amp had set the sub to -12 for some reason but I noticed this straight away and changed it. It is currently at +5 but I am still having problems?

yes when I ran the audyssey setup the amp had set the sub to -12 for some reason but I noticed this straight away and changed it. It is currently at +5 but I am still having problems?

Not sure why if it's set to +5, should definitely be getting a strong enough signal.

I am right in thinking I only need to connect the sub to the amp via 1 RCA cable?

Yes that's right. When it is on, does it sound ok, sufficient volume? going from an amp set -12 to +5 is a big jump

yeah sounds good when it works. These Denon amps tend to default to -12 on the sub a lot of the time when first calibrated for some reason. If I can get the sub working properly I will turn it down.

Im going to try another RCA cable too just to rule it out

yeah sounds good when it works. These Denon amps tend to default to -12 on the sub a lot of the time when first calibrated for some reason. If I can get the sub working properly I will turn it down.

If you get -12db then the gain knob was set too high, make smaller adjustments. Run the Audussey 3mic position which ever is fastest, then press calculate and re-check the level. If you would get it to around -8db it would be fine! Don´t touch the knobs afterwards though, you can tweak the level from menu to get more shaking. Typically 3-6db for products with Audussey. So from -8db to -5db example.

Would the crossover settings have any bearing on this? The A40 and 4x A10's are all currently set to 80hz

I had the gain set to the half way mark but I will run it again tonight and see

No!

If a digital AV processor or AV receiver/amplifier is to be used, a single cable can be connected from the ‘sub out’ or LFE connection on the amplifier to the RCA input connection on the AW-12 labelled ‘R’.

Phase 0.

Frequency knob to 120hz.

Power Mode On (when running Audussey so it won´t sleep)

Low Pass Filter OUT/LFE

I had the gain set to the half way mark but I will run it again tonight and see

Run it at 11clock then and do only 3mic position Audussey to check the level drops!

OK will do. Thank you for your help Sir

On the Denon have you set the speaker size to small?

Yes all are set to small with an 80hz crossover

So I ran Audussey a few times adjusting the subs volume as I went. I got it up to -5db with the subs volume set to around 9 o'clock. Now the sub turns on when it should and is staying on for now.
Thanks for your help on this guys(especially Gasp3621. I owe you a cold one).
Is -5db/9 o'clock ok or should I be aiming for -8

So I ran Audussey a few times adjusting the subs volume as I went. I got it up to -5db with the subs volume set to around 9 o'clock. Now the sub turns on when it should and is staying on for now.
Thanks for your help on this guys(especially Gasp3621. I owe you a cold one).
Is -5db/9 o'clock ok or should I be aiming for -8

It`s fine! If you want more oomph just lower the figure (-5db -> -2db or bit lower) without touching the knobs. Easy to do from menu while you drink cold ale on couch! Enjoy! 😎

Just a quick update. I recently bought a Denon x3700 receiver. This has a 12v trigger for the subwoofer so I thought I would get a trigger cable and give that a try but unfortunately this creates a low hum across all of my speakers! When I unplug the trigger cable the hum stops? Anybody know of a solution for this please.

Reviving this old thread. How did you find that the AW12 compared to the BK XL200?
Wondering if I should get a new XL200 (now XL300) with a 10" driver/300w amp at around £350 or a used AW12 with a 12" driver and 500w amp at £300.

While to me all subs are very ugly the AW12 would have the aesthetic advantage of matching my Apex speakers. (Although not my new C350 centre.)

both are great and its a tough decision. personally the xl200 was slightly better but I preferred to keep the aw12 as it matched the speakers. I no longer have them and do sometimes regret selling them but space is a premium and had to change to a soundbar!

Have gone for a used AW12 from Peter Tyson for just
both are great and its a tough decision. personally the xl200 was slightly better but I preferred to keep the aw12 as it matched the speakers. I no longer have them and do sometimes regret selling them but space is a premium and had to change to a soundbar!
Thanks. I have gone for a used AW12 from Peter Tyson for just under £300.
At least if I don't like it (or my wife doesn't like a new big box in the room) then I can sell it on.

Good move Sir

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom