monitor audio apex a40

gixer1000

Established Member
Reaction score
at the moment I have Dali oberon 5s as my left and right and a monitor audio radius 225 as centre I do think the radius is a bit lacking will the apex a40 be a upgrade or a sideways move I have a Denon x3400 and a xtz power amp for the Dalis I know I should have a matching centre but its a question of space

If we look the build, specs, tech used it looks noticeable upgrade. Much larger total volume on cabinet with very high power handling, larger drivers similar to Silver range (RST), tweeter from old Gold range (?).. Radius 225 is on par with Bronze range when looking the drivers, audio crossover components etc. I think the main issue is the slim small size which often means it sounds thinner than larger speaker would and as over 60% comes through the center channel it´s no wonder it sounds bit underwhelming. If you dig around you will find people who has went from Radius to Apex noticing big change.

But as always please listen yourself first so that you can be sure it`s worth the 500£! You can get the A40 for home demo if you ask around. Audio-T, AudioVisualOnline, Hifix.. Call around! Keep us posted on your findings cause it will help other members later. :smashin:

Cheers for that gasp I would go for a bigger speaker but I just haven’t got the room and the apex fits the bill size wise unless you have any ideas I could go to maybe 110 mm depth

Cheers for that gasp I would go for a bigger speaker but I just haven’t got the room and the apex fits the bill size wise unless you have any ideas I could go to maybe 110 mm depth

Not really. For years i have chatted with many Apex owners and also pushed some to listen them and yet to hear anyone being disappointed. Very much opposite. As i said many dealers offer home demo for speakers, all you got to do is ask assuming they have stock. This won´t cost you anything and no need to buy "pig in a bag". Run the receiver setup again, make changes to crossovers and use different material to test it. Also keep in mind that if you use the Reference eq curve defaulted after Audussey run it rolls of the high frequencies. This might not be prefered so you should also listen the Flat curve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom