Monitor Audio A100 Owner Experience

Just got this amp and have issue with optical.

It's connected to TV and whenever I change channel there is either silence for 2 seconds, or half a second sound/2 second silence and then works fine.

Still didn't check different cable but doubt it will make any difference as never had issues in the past.

Any experience with it maybe?

I had a similar issue and had an email discussion with the MA Tech Support. Their response was :-

"I have tested this with a unit here and found the same that when pausing the audio from an optical source, pressing play again would have a momentary delay before the audio would start playing again."

So they know about it but didn't recommend any work arounds or say that it would be fixed in the future. I was also getting some pops but whilst they could replicate them with their MA100, they said that it wasn't a problem :-

"In regards to the pops, are they loud? We have found the A100 does produce occasional pop’s through the optical input however it should not be loud enough to cause any damage to the speakers and generally only occurs when audio is paused/ played. Continuous audio should not be affected."

In the end I took mine back to the shop and got a Yamaha AS301.

That's just crazy and is really annoying when you're switching channels. Had many speakers with optical that never did that.
I also have pops sometimes but that doesn't bother me too much.

Quite amazing that not a single review mentioned this issue.

Last edited:
I like it although it does have one foible. It goes into a power saving mode after 8 hours so every morning I have to turn it on again, my old system used to just stay on permanently. When you turn it on there's a loud tick sound and a pause of a second then a second tick, then it's ready to play.

There are better reviewed amps at this price but none that have an optical port, except the Marantz PM6005 which I was going to buy. However, I was advised that the Marantz would sound very bright with my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and the Yamaha would be better for me.

Hi all

Thanks for the support in this thread! Just picked up one of these and fighting the firmware update now. Peebee - would you mind granting me access via Dropbox, please? I'll try the USB method seeing as auto-update and network update both failed so far!

EDIT: thanks Peebee, all updated :)

Last edited:
Hey guys. I am trying to listen to HIFI Tidal files but every song starts with a 1 sec mute delay. Anyone with the same issue?

Help ,,, cant seem to find the latest firmware anywhere , i fear my airstream is bricked! anyone that can help?

If you PM me your email I can send it to you at the weekend when I have access to my PC, or if you email MA directly they'll send it to you :)

Guys I am still having constant issues where I go back to my amps and they are flashing red. Ie lost wifi connection
The only option I have is to turn off and back on then they will play until the next time I need them and they will be flashing red again.

If it was one I would say I have an issue with an amp but it is a pair.
I have had 3 wifi suppliers since buying them and as such 3 routers still it happens.

So I dont believe its routers
I dont believe it is wifi.
The amps are situated in the same cupboard as the router so about a foot away

I am losing the will to live with them

Any thoughts

I'm on my second one of these damn devices and I've had the grand total of 20 minutes music out of them (not even continuously)!

Emailed a rant to Monitor Audio, the device isn't fit for purpose. Both have bricked, despite following the tech team's advice. They could have spent more time in development....

When I bought mine a couple of years ago, it was constantly losing connection even though its sat right next to the router!

The connection improved dramatically when I manually set the wifi channel to 1. I live in an apartment block and having the channel set to auto meant that the router was constantly trying find the best channel. It doesn't help too that all my neighbour's routers were also hunting for the best channel.

If you can I would disable or separate 5ghz to a different ssid.

Now on my 4th unit, replacements all under warranty.

Not fit for purpose springs to mind. No wonder they don’t make them anymore!

I must have had a good one. Mine has been great after the long setup process. Now i keep it in my garage and connect it to my router in the house. Its connected to some rock speakers in the garden and works flawlessly.

For the past couple of weeks my A100 started going into standby for no reason. Either during playback or even a few minutes after turning it on. Ive tried a reset. Any other ideas what could be causing it/how to resolve it?
I would like the amp to just stay on all the time

Hi. My amp goes into standby if no music is streamed to. When i kept it in my garage and it was really cold outside when i turned it on it would stay on for 30 seconds then shut down and would only stay on once it had warmed up. I think it has a thermal shutdown if it gets to hot or cold.

Try playing your music through it with a usb to iphone lead through the usb charging point. Not sure what else to suggest if you have already reinstalled it to factory settings

Thanks, my amp is in the living room, driving speakers in the garden, but it shouldnt be too cold. Been looking in the web interface and the manual but there doesnt seems to be any timer that can be provisioned when it should switch off. I only use it in the summer, But I dont remember having this problem before.
Do you know roughly after how much time yours goes into standby?

Last edited:
Not sure. I use it everyday at the moment and it works flawlessly. I also use it to power my rock garden speakers and also have a krk powered speaker connected to it with phonos inside. I will find out about the standby and let you know.

The only thing that doesnt work is when i go into quick wake up mode so you can stream music to it when it is off and it turns itself on. That doesntwork

Does it play for a while before it cuts out or usually pretty quick after you start playing music. What lights are on?

It works for anywhere between 1 and 30 minutes before going into standby. No clue what could be causing it.

Hello, My amp suddently start blinking only blue and does not want to connect, reset or direct airplay. Could somebody provide a firmware file so I can try to flash it!

MA says you can email their technical support and they will send you the latest version.
I believe 639 is the latest firmware for the A100; I have tried to attach it to this message. Be sure to unzip it before attempting to install.

Attachments

• A100-Firmware-v639.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 174
Has anyone managed to flash firmware via usb?

Mine is doing the dreaded slow blue flashing, and won't connect to any networks, or allow me to connect to its network.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Has anyone managed to flash firmware via usb?

Mine is doing the dreaded slow blue flashing, and won't connect to any networks, or allow me to connect to its network.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

There are instructions on page 15 of the A100's owners manual describing how to update the unit's firmware via USB:

https://www.stylesound.com/images/Airstream_A100.pdf

You will however need to email/contact Monitor Audio in order to get them to send you the latest version of the firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom