1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio 14 speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by johnkay, Nov 6, 2003.

1. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Pioneer dcs303 all in one at the moment , but I want to upgrade to separates. I also have a pair of monitor audio 14 (12 years old)speakers connected to my separates hi-fi which I never use now, and I was wondering if I could use them in a 5.1 a/v set-up, instead of buying a complete new set of speakers. I have no info on the MA14 & can't find out what power or impedance they are, although they are connected to my cyrus mission amp (70watts rms per chan). Any ideas? and what would be a good amp for them (something like a Denon/Acram or would they be too powerful for the MA14)

Also I have a pair of Goodmans BBC monitor speakers about the same age could I use them for surround? again not sure their power handling.

So if I could use these speakers I would only need a sub & centre, but is it better to start again with a 5.1 speaker package?

2. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get too caught up with power ratings and impedance, as long as the amp you have is powerful, and by that I mean most modern amps, they will be able to drive the speakers easily. The only thing you normally have to worry about is if the speakers take too much out of the amp, as opposed to the amp being too powerful for the speakers.

In my opinion you should always use matching front and centre speakers, the rears are less important to be matching, but if they are, so much the better.

There's no reason why you can't use your existing speakers in an AV setup, although if they are going to be close to your TV, make sure they are magnetically shielded.

If you are a fan of MA speakres, as I am, check out their current range.

Good Luck.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    All good points from Ronak-T there,and as most of the MA speakers are(and have been) relatively easy loads,you shouldn't have problems with your amp choices either.
    Were you considering an AV receiver as a replacement for the Mission amp,and if so,what sort of budget were you considering?

Either way,be sure to try as many amp/receivers as possible before buying,to get the right mix of performance and features.

4. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I would probably go for a acram or denon amp, about 400 to 600 pounds budget.
    I am tempted to buy some new monitor audio 5.1 speakers but first an amp and that is why the temptation to use my exsisting speakers and upgrade them later, because it seems I might have to spend more on the speakers than the amp.
    Any further suggestions most welcome please.

5. stveen

stveen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dose anyone know where i could get replacement sub and mid drivers for the monitor audio 14s?

6. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

Give these fellas a go :

https://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/index.php

p.s - congrats for bumping one of the oldest threads i've seen :D

7. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The MA14s are rated at 85-110 watts into 8 ohms.

Frequency response is 35hz to 24mhz.

Fill them with silver sand. Put them on Spikes.

Fabulous for the money they cost when new.

Use with a MA bookshelfs for sides/rears and MA centers for front and rear centre.

Although I use a Ruark centre, which is equally well matched.

You shouldn't need a sub, but because they roll off a little by the time they get down to 35hz (which is pretty much the equal of any sub), you might want to use a sub to level that response off. I would experiment by setting the subs to roll in gently at about 55hz.

This is really only for films - for music I'd leave the sub out, as music doesn't go down that low really, and you can't hear it anyway (but you can feel it).

The bottom driver (of the 3) in each MA14 is (I believe) passive, it helps reproduce the bass.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009