Monitor Audio 100 Bronze (6G) or Monitor Audio 100 Silver (7G) or Monitor Audio 100 Silver (6G)

Houghts

Thanks for the reply-stands are not an option, wife problems - will try on side and upright to see how they sound. Looking forward to the silver 100 and c350-Also have a Crown XLS 1002 coming that will drive the fronts

-Yamaha RX-A2080
-Sony XBR 75X850E
-Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x
-MA Bronze 2
-Ma Bronze c150
-MA CS160R x 4
-MA W165 x 2

Jester1066

What stands does @Jester1066 have?
I used (still have them, but can't set them up until i do a rejig of my bedroom furniture) Atacama Mosseco 6 stands.

I used these stands when my 100's were set up as part of my main HT setup in my living room. I've since repurposed the 100's to the bedroom and use Silver 300's in the living room.

They are extremely good quality, lovely finishes available. Not particularly cheap though, but quality often comes at a cost imo

Jester1066

I do have a quick question for anyone that wants to weigh in. I have included an image of the downstairs where the speakers will be set up. In the image, the red boxes are where the speakers will roughly be placed (the two rear speakers will be in-wall, likely also from Monitor Audio, since they use back-boxes). The purple box will be the TV stand/wall unit, and the green box is where the couch will go. I will have an area rug in the gathering room, and ultimately some art on a wall or two, but other than that, there will be minimal room treatments. Ceiling height will be 9'.

Would the Silver 100s be sufficient here, paired with the c350? Or am I on the right path, considering the Silver 300s? I am still waiting to hear back from Monitor Audio about mixing the 6g and 7g.
Either would work in your setup/position. The 300's (cabinet wise at least) are actually narrower in width than the 100's. The only part of the 300's that is marginally wider is the very bottom inch or so - which is because of the outrigger feet.

Mainah904

Standard Member
Either would work in your setup/position. The 300's (cabinet wise at least) are actually narrower in width than the 100's. The only part of the 300's that is marginally wider is the very bottom inch or so - which is because of the outrigger feet.
Jester, thanks for your input. I am going to delete my post simply because I intended to put it in my original thread you had responded to, but clicked on the wrong tab in my browser. Then I am going to go fill up my coffee cup. Cheers!

Spicelab

Would the MA Silver 100 or 300 work better in a room 3.5 by 4.5 metres? I would be sitting around 2.6 metres away from the speakers. I am afraid the 300s might need a bigger space to perform well

Kapkirk

Would the MA Silver 100 or 300 work better in a room 3.5 by 4.5 metres? I would be sitting around 2.6 metres away from the speakers. I am afraid the 300s might need a bigger space to perform well
Don't see why they would not work sound wise, the thing I would be concerned by is the physical size of the 300's, they might look a bit too big in a small room but if you are OK with that's fine.
To give you an example, I once bought some Dali Opticon 6 and have a small room also, they sounded OK, bit boomy tho, but the biggest issue for me was they dominated the room too much and looked out of place.
The MA 100's are quite a chunky bookshelf speaker anyway so some good solid stands are a must, so you need to factor that into the price.. and ..they do sound rather good.

Hoku

Will the speakers be sited against the long wall? If so, will your seating position be close up against the opposite long wall?
Bass tends to be amplified near the opposite wall to the speakers, so having speakers that have the potential to create a fair amount of bass may cause bass boom.

However if your speakers are against the shorter 3.5m wall (so firing down the longer dimension) and your seating is not right up against the opposing wall, but slightly forward of it, then you might get away with it.

But both speakers are quite beefy and are probably designed to have plenty of free space behind them and to the side of them. (As much as a metre of free space). If this isn’t possible in your room, then it may be wise to consider something smaller.

Is this for a 2-channel system or a 5.1 or Atmos system? If you had a subwoofer crossing over at 60hz, it may be less of a problem, because the problematic frequencies would be handled by the subwoofer. You have more flexibility then as you can alter the gain of the bass, and your AVR’s room correction should be able to smooth out any unwanted peaks.

But if you have a straight 2-channel system without bass adjustment, then it’s more crucial to get the right speakers, and to get their positioning in the room right: in free space away from the walls. And to get your listening position right too: again, away from the wall.

If that’s not possible, then it would be best to look at speakers that are designed to be close to a wall, and considering the average size of most people’s listening spaces, and the positioning within those rooms that speakers are often inflicted with, I’m surprised there aren’t more speakers designed for smaller rooms with close-to-wall positioning.

Two speakers that come to mind that would cope with this are the DALI Menuet (& Menuet SE) and ProAc Tablette 10 (& Tablette 10 Signature).

Helix Hifi

Absolutely no problem. As mentioned because they are large speakers this can be imposing in the beginning. Epically Silver 300. Silver 100 with stands is going to even more imposing. Get the 300.

I have almost the same room size. Absolutely no problems as mentioned. But in the beginning you might think you did a grave mistake, because this speakers need around 200 hours to sound optimal.

So in the beginning the bass is going to be very boomy. After around 30 hours this well soon be more balanced. Depending if you have neighbors it can take even more time. I’d put on sing with a lot of bass. Electronic music as an example.

I have my 300 only 20 cm from the back walls and side walls. This is after months of getting the speakers in perfect symmetry with the sitting position. So take your time getting the speakers correctly positioned in the listing room.

Note, this speakers are fairly dark sounding in the midrange, treble. Compared to Dali. If you like more upfront sound I’d look at Dali, Triangle, Focal. Still MA is dynamic sounding speakers. Epically the depth, bass response is great.

In this price class you could look at Spendor too. It seems the usual suspects get more attention then Spenor,ATC, Neat. Speaking of ATC. Apparently this speakers can be placed closed to the walls because of the sealed design. No bass reflex. You could loss some deep bass compared to bass reflex speakers. But I’m not sure. Good luck.

password1

Distinguished Member
I used to be a Monitor Audio fanboy (owned a number of pairs over 2 decades) and find them forward sounding, The c cam drivers have that distinct Monitor Audio sound and are a little exaggerated in the 1-2khz region (in all my setups, even using 'warmer' sounding Arcam alpha amps.

I now own Dali Opticon mark 2 and Dali Spektors and find the mid range is the opposite to MA, a little laid back, where the Dali's excel, especially with the hybrid tweeter module, is the extremes, the treble and bass is really good, never gets tiring, unlike MA speakers at louder volumes.

Pricy

Standard Member
Similar room size to me, I went with the 200’s having thought the 100’s would be ample. They don’t overwhelm the room aesthetically and I couldn’t be happier with them.

Jester1066

I've got the 6g 300's in a similar sized room (3m x 4.57m), having previously used the 100's. The 300's are actually slimmer in width (cabinet wise) than the 100's, so to me look less imposing/dominating. I've paired mine with a 6g C350 centre snd the matching 3 way driver configuration across the frontstage does add an extra dimension in sound imo. Here's an old pic:

received_1035176903910584.jpeg

The C350 is now positioned higher (so its tweeter is inline with the tweeters on the 300's). For reference, my speakers are on the short wall.

Spicelab

Thanks all, I would be positioning the speakers about 2 metres apart and can only position max 40 centimetres away from wall behind. That leaves listening position around 2.5 metres away from the speakers. It is only stereo system that I have, no surround. I currently have Quad 12L2 speakers but feel I could spend a bit more money and upgrade to something else.

Hoku

Thanks all, I would be positioning the speakers about 2 metres apart and can only position max 40 centimetres away from wall behind. That leaves listening position around 2.5 metres away from the speakers. It is only stereo system that I have, no surround. I currently have Quad 12L2 speakers but feel I could spend a bit more money and upgrade to something else.
You’ll have to go some to improve on the Quads. They’re excellent speakers.
I would say auditioning will be very important for you. A really think old speakers are underestimated these days, so be careful you don’t shell out cash for a sideways move, or worse, a ‘superior’ speaker that doesn’t synergise so well with your amp.

andyholmes

I had ma silver rs8's in the past but found all of the ma too tiring after a while. Ended up with xtz 99.25's with a sub, have a look

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom