1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor and TV combined

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by StewS, Mar 21, 2005.

1. StewS

StewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't spot it anywhere!

I am after a 19" flat screen monitor, primarily for computer use. However, I also want to be able to plug in a Co-axial cable and watch TV as well - albeit TV use will be a fraction of the computer use.

Looking around the web I am struggling to find any advice on what to look for in combined sets. i.e. I see lots of advice for TFT monitors, and loads for LCD TVs....but nothing for both.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start looking, what to look for etc?

Cheers,

Stew

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Many LCD TVs function well as monitors and have the necessary resolution and inputs. So not sure why you are having difficulty.

Perhaps best to look at those made by companies that are primarily computer manufacturers first, and consumer electronics second.

e.g. Dell do a nice 19" WS LCD TV Monitor

3. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

Or another option could be to stick with a 19inch computer monitor and put a tuner card in the PC, either digital or analogue. That way you could also get the functionality to pause and record TV.

I would stick with widescreen, not sure you can get 19inch widescreen may have to go for 20inch. Dell model seems popular in this size.

Try and stay away from lower definition panels designed primarilty for cheap LCD Tvs with computer use secondary.

4. StewS

StewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas, have started to look at Tuner Cards as I can see that the recording options may be useful, although I can't see it being used that often given I havea DVD recorder attached to the proper TV.

The problem with the Tuner Card really seems to be having to have the PC on when you want to watch TV - not really ideal.

:confused: When I am looking at LCDs though, I seem to struggle to work out which have co-axial inputs and which would have to be played through a PC. E.g. on the Dell you mention I can not see whether or not I could use it as a stand-alone TV - or am I missing something?

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796