• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Monitor Advice

CBMFellows

Novice Member
Deciding to buy a new monitor which will be used for general use but mainly gaming (console at the moment, however PC later on). Currently have a TN Panel however after looking online I have been brought closer to IPS panels.

Budget is £200 max and would like it to be ergonomic. I have seen these two and would like to know what you guys think:

Dell U2414H
Dell Ultrasharp U2414H IPS LED Full HD Monitor | Ebuyer.com

Iiyama XB2380HS
Iiyama XB2380HS-B1 23" LED LCD IPS HDMI Monitor | Ebuyer.com

Any help would be appreciated.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Hello FELLOWS, welcome to the forums. :)

That Dell you linked to is the very same monitor I intend getting for my new build, which will hopefully be in a few months. :smashin: See here though for a better price than the one on eBuyer. ;)

I used to own a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM and it was fantastic. Performance wise it was a good all rounder and it's stand was THE best I have ever seen on a monitor. As the U2412H is from the same family, it would be a worthy investment in my opinion. In fact I think it's one of the best 1920x1080p monitors currently available.

Last edited:

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
I'd pay the bit extra and go with the Dell. Warranty will be brilliant too.

CBMFellows

Novice Member
Cheers for the info.
I'd pay the bit extra and go with the Dell. Warranty will be brilliant too.
Went for the Dell as haven't heard much about the other brand, plus the warranty which you mentioned.
Hello FELLOWS, welcome to the forums. :)

That Dell you linked to is the very same monitor I intend getting for my new build, which will hopefully be in a few months. :smashin: See here though for a better price than the one on eBuyer. ;)

I used to own a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM and it was fantastic. Performance wise it was a good all rounder and it's stand was THE best I have ever seen on a monitor. As the U2412H is from the same family, it would be a worthy investment in my opinion. In fact I think it's one of the best 1920x1080p monitors currently available.

Found it on Amazon for £180 which is even better!

holtehero

Distinguished Member
Ilyama have been around for ages and certainly at one point had a very good rep

However, having owned a dell panel i have nothing but praise for it (mind you it cost me nothing)

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Went for the Dell as haven't heard much about the other brand, plus the warranty which you mentioned.
A good choice, sir. :smashin:

That's the one I linked to. ;) I have no idea how or why those links to the other websites popped up? :confused:

However, having owned a dell panel i have nothing but praise for it (mind you it cost me nothing)
I have to know. How did you bag such an awesome freebie?

holtehero

Distinguished Member
I have to know. How did you bag such an awesome freebie?

When i got made redundant a couple of years ago, my firm let me keep my laptop and monitor

CBMFellows

Novice Member
Cheers for the info.

Didn't realise the word "here" was a link, I thought it was just the sites after it. My apologies! Anyway it's gone back up to £193 now so lucky it was bought then.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
When i got made redundant a couple of years ago, my firm let me keep my laptop and monitor
That was good of them. :)

I hope you weren't out of work for too long.

Didn't realise the word "here" was a link, I thought it was just the sites after it. My apologies!
No need to apologise, fella. ;) My Amazon link was easy to miss amid all the other ones which seemed to pop up automatically. :confused: It is rather annoying when that happens, but I know of no way to stop it.

Anyway it's gone back up to £193 now so lucky it was bought then.
Glad you got it for the lower price. :smashin: Let us know your thoughts when you get it set up.

CBMFellows

Novice Member
Used the monitor with the PS4 and 360 yesterday - FIFA on the PS4 looked good but I think there was some ghosting on it, but with Titanfall on the 360, I didn't notice anything. What I did notice was much better with the IPS is that the viewing angles are MUCH better, as a slight move in my chair looking at the TN meant the colours changed and became a bit darker. Also the Dell looks great. I'll let you know more after some time with it.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Used the monitor with the PS4 and 360 yesterday - FIFA on the PS4 looked good but I think there was some ghosting on it, but with Titanfall on the 360, I didn't notice anything.
Did you tweak any of the settings on your consoles to play on the monitor?

Also, did you try the 'game' preset mode available in the monitor's menu?

What I did notice was much better with the IPS is that the viewing angles are MUCH better, as a slight move in my chair looking at the TN meant the colours changed and became a bit darker.
Yup, better viewing angles and slightly deeper colours are plus points. :)

Also the Dell looks great.
It does indeed. ;) I especially like the thin bezel it has on the outer edge of the screen.

I'll let you know more after some time with it.
Please do. :smashin:

CBMFellows

Novice Member
Did you tweak any of the settings on your consoles to play on the monitor?

Also, did you try the 'game' preset mode available in the monitor's menu?

Yup, better viewing angles and slightly deeper colours are plus points. :)

It does indeed. ;) I especially like the thin bezel it has on the outer edge of the screen.

Please do. :smashin:
I think I played on the 'Standard' mode first but then went on 'Custom' as I used that to have my own brightness/contrast etc. Not sure if I should have messed though as apparently the monitor is already calibrated well, and by resetting to factory, would those settings have disappeared?

And with FIFA I think the servers had been playing up so the lag may have been involved with that.

But overall better picture quality and better looking monitor itself - watched a Blu Ray on it last night and was a bit weird as I didn't have to sit straight on for the colours to be accurate. :)

CBMFellows

Novice Member
Oh, also tried Netflix on both to see the difference, one monitor hooked up to the PS3 and the other PS4, and then reversed, and found out that the PS3 Netflix looks a lot cleaner/brighter. Not sure if anybody has noticed before, or why this is.

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
Have a look on tftcentral to see I'd there is a custom ICC profile and optimal settings for your monitor.

It will calibrate it much better and get the best out of it.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
I think I played on the 'Standard' mode first but then went on 'Custom' as I used that to have my own brightness/contrast etc.
I assume the settings out of the box were not to your liking then?

Not sure if I should have messed though as apparently the monitor is already calibrated well, and by resetting to factory, would those settings have disappeared?
I have read that the monitor is fairly well calibrated from the get go, but there's nothing wrong with playing about with the settings yourself, after all that's what they are there for. ;)

To answer your question, yes, restoring the monitor to factory settings would cancel out any manual tweaks you made.

And with FIFA I think the servers had been playing up so the lag may have been involved with that.
It's certainly a possibility.

Although IPS panels do have higher response times when compared to TN panels, the low response time on this particular Dell model shouldn't really produce any discernable signs of lag or ghosting.

But overall better picture quality and better looking monitor itself - watched a Blu Ray on it last night and was a bit weird as I didn't have to sit straight on for the colours to be accurate. :)
Once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back to a TN panel. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom