1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

money to burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pagey, Nov 3, 2004.

1. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps i should of done a little further research (i.e. found this forum) before i went out and spent my hard earned money but.

I bought a Pioneer PDP-433MXE screen have i wasted my money or can i still connect it up to my sky box and dvd player. I have been told i should of bought the Pioneer PDP-435XDE (Oops).

Is there a little black box i can by which will make all my problems go away?

Kind regards

Pagey

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pagey there are lots of little black boxes how much do you want to spend? the one that springs to mind is a cool £1000 but there are cheaper options.......

3. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD

I did not have 1000 quid in mind i was thinking cheap cheap cheap. However any option would be appreciated. Can it be in format/text that an idiot can understand (me). :thumbsup:

I have been doing a bit searching in the forum which has confused me even more!

Pagey

4. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What problems do you want to go away?

Mark

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Pagey - the odds are you need a little black box from JS Technology or one of their wonderful resellers ;) "RGB to plasma VGA" will connect your Sky box to the VGA socket on the plasma, you will also need a fully wired scart lead and a VGA lead. Hopefully your DVD player has component video outputs (you need to check youself - 3 phonos coloured red, green & blue labelled YPbPr/YCbCr/YUV) which will connect to 3 of the 5 BNC terminals on your MXE. You may still have other bits to do (VCR, PS2, XBox etc) which might change the approach but what I have listed above is the most common.

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    pagey - did your MXE come with a plugin board (e.g. supporting BNC/Phono component and SVideo etc? Otherwise you will need one of these boards first and then the box that Liam mentions.

7. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what one of these PDP-50MXE1 or PDP-43MXE1. No in a word buts thats not a problem i can soon get one.

Will check dvd player in the mean time

Cheers for all the help so far

Pagey

8. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    When you buy the MXE(1) as far as I know it doesn't come with a plug-in expansion board by default (since this display is a commerical model and is therefore largely used for PC-connections - for which you do not need the plugin board).

If you want to use the display for anything home-cinema or TV related, you really need this expansion board or else you are locked into using just PC resolutions.

The two pioneer expansion boards are the PDA-5004 and PDA-5003. The 5004 has phono component, s-video and composite inputs. The 5003 has BNC component (and I'm not sure about the rest).

You also should tell us what you are planning on connecting up to your display (and what connections your devices support) and then you'll be able to get better answers.

E.g. if you're trying to connect an RGB-scart based sky or freeview box, then the JS RGB to VGA is probably the way to go. If its a DVD player then you'll probably be able to connect that directly to the inputs on the PDA-5004 card.

Of course, you need to check if you have the card first - if not, you'll need one of those before going much further.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    On the 433MXE there is only the one board - PDA-5002 with BNC connections.

10. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Liam - thanks, that clears that up.

Pagey - did your MXE come with this card?

11. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have to check tonight but i think it did, will let you know tomorrow. In the mean time what i wanted to do was connect my sky sat, dvd and ps2 to plasma.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pagey do you have an AV amp?????
    an RGB to VGA box for sky and component for DVD and PS2 will be fine.......if you have an amp with component switching Pioneer 714 or similar solver or your trouble (if you dont have one you need one)

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You might be blinding the man with science Horny. Get that video card put in, and you can then get a picture with a very basic video lead. It'll look pants, but at least it will work till you sort out something better. And be comforted, you have bought a totally brilliant plasma, one of the best. it just need a bit more tweaking than the TV model. You need a scart to BNC and 2 phono connectors, quite commonplace, maplins will have one. That will connect to input 4, composite video. As I say, this advice is heretical here, but it will get you running! We'll move on to RGB video converters after that.