1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

money to burn

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mikesyxthsense, Jul 3, 2004.

1. mikesyxthsense

mikesyxthsense

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the last few years I have owned all the Sim DLP products, upgrading whenever a new model came out. I recently checked out the HT500 link and was blown away by the unit. At the same time I also reviewed the screenplay 777 which equally was awesome, hence my dilemma. Which one ?
    Must confess hated all the other infocus models. Build quality looks very similar but the 777 is a bit cheaper so whats missing ? Cannot find any reviews on either of them.
    Will be partnered with Stewart Firehawk tab tension 12ft screen and Lexicon amps , processor , DVD
    regards
    Mike

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As yo have money to burn, why not buy them all and see for yourself which one is best...? ;) :D

(welcome to the forums BTW...) :thumbsup:

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Mike,

I will tell you what's missing with the 777. It's the DigiOptic Image Processor.

The 500 Link with its fiber-optic link ( up to 500m ) and its DigiOptic Image Processor (DOIP) means you can keep all of your video cables very short and only need one feed to the projector which is totally impervious to mains and RF interference.
    The DOIP has 12 video inputs so you can send all your video feeds both analogue and digital direct thus cutting out extra cable runs and switching through a processor or a/v amp.
    The software on the Link allows autosync of RGB & YUV feeds so automatically accepts 15k or 32k signals.

Sim2 are constantly looking to improve their products and the latest 500 Link software now has adjustable gamma settings.

On top of that you have the back-up and service direct from Sim2 UK. With Infocus you will have to go through the Infocus distributor so you are not dealing direct with the manufacturer.

And of course you've got this forum where you will always find good help and advice from other Sim2 users, Alan at Sim2 UK and myself.

Jeff :rtfm:

4. mikesyxthsense

mikesyxthsense

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff
    No doubt I will be visiting soon.
    regards
    Mike

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    InFocus ScreenPlay 777 has been demonstrated on Hi-Fi show last weekend. They used very large screen (something like 6m diag). The picture was very good with no visable artifacts.

Projector for demoed using HD material. Video signal came via DVI-D link from an HTPC that was deemed to be the best match to a projector of this quality.

Price tag of £20,000 looked just a bit overdone here in the UK (US equivalent price + VAT is £16,000).

6. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the 500 last friday at a special demo with the SIM2 rep for Germany. Very, very impressive with HD source.

The comment RTFM said about the fibre optic link is really important - this to me is Sim's biggest differentiator. You put this slim little box next to all your video sources using really short (therefore cheaper!) cables, and then you only have the one thin little cable to go the long distance to your projector. Much better than running a whole forest of cables for 15 meters or so all around your walls and ceilings...

One thing I would advise checking out is the noise level from the unit. I was surprised (especially given the absence of a colour wheel) how much fan noise it produced. No problem if it will be in its own enclosure but worth thinking of if will be directly overhead. What is your view on this Jeff?

I was also slightly surprised by the size of the thing! It is about 2 - 3 times the size of the SIM2 one chip models!

7. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate you mike............ ;)

8. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pipcat,

In our dem room a couple of Sim2 single chippers sit on a shelves above the 3 chipper.The 500 is slightly quieter than the single chippers.

No one who has seen it has commented on the noise level and I have never found it to be intrusive when watching a movie.

9. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can vouch for that, I saw the 500 a few days ago at Jeff's and didn't notice the fan noise at all despite sitting within a metre or so of the projector.

Picture quality was top notch as far as I can tell (I've only seen a few projectors), even better than my RTX despite being 4x the size.

10. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting feedback on the fan noise.

In the demo I was in (quiet room, no other distractions) several people commented on it, and it was indeed intrusive. However, it may well be that it was due to being a demo model getting dragged around the country, or maybe shelf it was on was not 100% stable etc. Glad to hear that this was an exception.

Slightly off topic I know, but may I beg indulgence to ask a dumb question? Just why are 3 chip DLPs so incredibly expensive? The SIM2 300 link is around €13K and the 500 is over €30K - over twice the price. As far as I know the DLP chips are not that expensive (couple of hundred I guess) and in some ways the 3 chippers are simpler as they have no colour wheel to worry about. Anyone know what the cost drivers are?

11. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pipcat,

The DMDs are much more expensive than your estimate.

The light path in the 3 chipper is quite complex which also explains the size.

You also have 2 very expensive prisms, one to split the white light into RGB

and one to converge the 3 DMDs behind the lens.

A colour wheel in comparison is extremely simple and not that expensive in the

overall scheme of things.