1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money no object?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Brogan, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    OK, perhaps the title's a little misleading but say you had to build a new PC from scratch now (without upgrading your existing gear), what main components (and manufacturers) would you go for?

Motherboard
    CPU
    Video Card
    RAM
    PSU
    Sound Card

It doesn't necessarily have to be a HTPC, just a well specced maching which will last for the next few years without having to be upgraded.

I'm still debating whether to upgrade bits and pieces of my current kit or to just bite the bullet and go for a completely new system.

If I was to go for a new system, I guess I would go for:

Motherboard - no idea ???
    CPU - Pentium 4 3.0GHz (Northwood or Prescott?)
    Video Card - Sapphire 9800 Pro 256MB
    RAM - not fussed
    PSU - no idea ???
    Sound Card - Audigy 2

Anyone got any good recommendations for a good mobo/CPU combo so I can do some pricing up?

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Brogan,

the problem at the moment is the gradual introduction of key new technologies (PCI-Express, New CPU Sockets, BTX Motherboard Design, DDR2 Memory etc). admittedly the majority of these aren't going to be fully integrated in the immediate future but it does restrict the choice of future proofing something as the new technologies obviously haven't matured yet and therefore have a price premium.

Assuming you are wanting to use the pc for gaming (else there's basically no need for even today's latest components aside from video editing etc which a p4 would be a better choice) then personally i'd be looking at an AMD Athlon 64 - depending on budget i'd preferably go for a socket 939 FX but they are pretty expensive at the moment so getting one of the older socket 754 3200+ with 1mb cache could be a better option.

Motherboard i'd go for an NForce 3 250 GB chipset, any of the well known manufacturers should suffice just it depends on what features you need (overclocking ability, raid etc)

GFX - a Radeon 9800 Pro might do you for a while and they are pretty damn cheap atm so upgrading in a year or twos time wouldn't be such a hit on the wallet, could also go for the 9800 XT or even the latest X800 series, dependent again on how much you want to spend.

RAM - assuming you'd be interested in overclocking, the flavour of the month appears to be OCZ EB PC3700 which should provide nice tight timings to get the most out of the A64. If overclocking isn't a concern pc3200 value ram might suffice, at least for the medium term.

PSU - something like an antec trupower should do you just fine - 480w or something

Sound - again for gaming an audigy2 zs (or whatever that suffix is!) can't be beat

should come under £1k i'd expect for that lot so long as you didn't go mad on the new technologies.

HTH,

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for the info' rOAdeh.

I understand the problem with new technologies coming out, but isn't that always the way with PC components?

I actually only use my PC for office based work - spreadsheets, documents, etc. and MP3 playback so although I don't need to upgrade, well, you know how it is...:D

I currently have an AMD 1GHz and an Epox RAID mobo running Win ME.
    TBH, the biggest complaint I have is the ME OS - it's forever running out of resources and requires a reboot several times a day.
    I have XP Pro on order so hopefully once I get that installed, I should have solved one problem.
    Of course the other problems are it is only USB1, has no on board LAN, etc.

What it does sound like though, is that although I won't need the forthcoming hardware (PCI-Express, BTX mobo, etc.), it would be worth my while holding on as the prices of all the other hardware will drop?

For under £1K though, the list of components you have detailed above sounds very reasonable.
    My current system cost me an eye-watering £1,500 4 years ago so things have certainly come a long way.

BTW, I didn't know you could overclock RAM?
    I thought that was just reserved for CPU's?

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If money is really no object I would recommend a serious visit to Hush Technologies web site.

Having the newest gear does give some buzz to HTPC but after going thru that cycle several times, there is a merit in looking in solidly built complete system that is absolutely silent.

Another brand that is particularly well suited to music and HTPC application comes from Carillon.