• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Money no object, what would be your dream rig?

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
So, most of us on here have fairly decent rigs, i.e. above the normal Pentium processor and 256mb memory gpu that adorns the bedrooms and living rooms of many households in the UK...

But most of us* also have to limit our spending on said rigs because of financial limitations, or how much of our student load we can afford to spend on our hobby rather than books and materials (mostly liquid from what I've heard!), or how much the other half lets us spend (or thinks she lets us spend ;):D).

But if money were no object (within reason...), what would be your dream rig? If you had a nice 3 or 4k to spend on a rig to last you the next 2/3 years, what spec would you go for? We can all dream, so lets see what you'd build! :D

Here would be mine:

Dream.jpg

Swap the PSU for the new (not yet released) AX1200i (first digital PSU to come out for the consumer market) and add in the necessary fans/waterblocks, pump, res etc for the watercooling.

Tell you what, it soon adds up doesn't it :eek: :rotfl:

*most of us: some of us already have rigs better than the above, lucky ****** :(:laugh:

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
Money no object I wouldn't be gaming, I'd be chucking money down a woman's g string every night.

bladedripper

Distinguished Member

majnu

Distinguished Member
So, most of us on here have fairly decent rigs, i.e. above the normal Pentium processor and 256mb memory gpu that adorns the bedrooms and living rooms of many households in the UK...

But most of us* also have to limit our spending on said rigs because of financial limitations, or how much of our student load we can afford to spend on our hobby rather than books and materials (mostly liquid from what I've heard!), or how much the other half lets us spend (or thinks she lets us spend ;):D).

But if money were no object (within reason...), what would be your dream rig? If you had a nice 3 or 4k to spend on a rig to last you the next 2/3 years, what spec would you go for? We can all dream, so lets see what you'd build! :D

Here would be mine:

Swap the PSU for the new (not yet released) AX1200i (first digital PSU to come out for the consumer market) and add in the necessary fans/waterblocks, pump, res etc for the watercooling.

Tell you what, it soon adds up doesn't it :eek: :rotfl:

*most of us: some of us already have rigs better than the above, lucky ****** :(:laugh:

Dream rig and you didn't choose a caselabs case? :eek:

Fine things aren't stocked at Scan. :rotfl:

Last edited:

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
Dream rig and you didn't choose a casemax case? :eek:

Fine things aren't stocked at Scan. :rotfl:
Casemax? never heard of them... Case labs I have heard of, but I did say "within reason" ;) A caselabs case would go along with 4-way gtx680 sli and dual cpu's, I was more looking for a dream rig which you would (and could) actually build some day, if you hadn't already spent the money on women and beer and wasted the rest of course :laugh:

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Sega Mega Dave said:
Money no object I wouldn't be gaming, I'd be chucking money down a woman's g string every night.

I think you would be doing more than that ;)

Solar

One of these...

Attachments

• 2cx9qwp.jpg
    2cx9qwp.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 91

eiren

Distinguished Member
Tall Paul your dream rig is not very dreamy.

GTX670 SLI? Is that all you aspire to? haha ;)

Should be looking at least GTX690 SLI here for dream rigs.

Last edited:

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
Tall Paul your dream rig is not very dreamy.

GTX670 SLI? Is that all you aspire to? haha ;)

Should be looking at least GTX690 SLI here for dream rigs.
As I said, I meant "dream" rig in terms of a realistic dream rig ;):smashin:

We can all dream of quad sli, dual cpu 12 ssd raid arrays in a sub-zero cooled case the size of a london flat... :D

For me, gtx570 sli with a 2011 cpu and watercooled is a realistic "dream" rig which I could actually be able to build at some point.

eiren

Distinguished Member
This thread is rubbish!

haha

Isn't it actually 'rig that I'm saving up to buy' instead of dream rig?

Reach for the stars Tall Paul!

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Money no object but within reason? :confused:

Where can I read the fair usage policy? :D

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Money no object? Have you seen how many 16x pci express slots are in an HP DL380 Gen 8, with a couple of 8 core Xeons and 192GB of RAM to boot :)

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Money no object but within reason? :confused:

Where can I read the fair usage policy? :D

Think you missed this one mate

If you had a nice 3 or 4k to spend on a rig to last you the next 2/3 years, what spec would you go for?

D

Deleted member 79803

A Raspberry Pi. Gaming behemoth - 'nuff said.

FlyingShrapnel

definitely one of these as the case, and i would do all the "modding" myself :D
VYayVl.jpg

irgsefton

Until the new Mac Pro is released next year I haven't got one.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
An itx rig in a ridiculously tiny case with a top end socket 2011 and a 690 in it, all custom water cooled, slot loading blu ray, no hdd, just ssd's maybe even pcie attached storage :devil:

majnu

Distinguished Member
An itx rig in a ridiculously tiny case with a top end socket 2011 and a 690 in it, all custom water cooled, slot loading blu ray, no hdd, just ssd's maybe even pcie attached storage :devil:

The only time when something small has big advantages. :laugh:

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
I'm tempted to build a mineral oil rig with the spare parts ive got. How great would this look?

FlyingShrapnel

I'm tempted to build a mineral oil rig with the spare parts ive got. How great would this look?

mineral oil / baby oil cooled computer - YouTube

thats what all my friends seem to think what I do with my PC when i tell them I have water cooled it :facepalm::rotfl:

it is quite stable hardware wise just submerging everything in oil, there is a video on youtube of a computer running linux for over a year non stop and its oil cooled like that :thumbsup:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
thats what all my friends seem to think what I do with my PC when i tell them I have water cooled it :facepalm::rotfl:

it is quite stable hardware wise just submerging everything in oil, there is a video on youtube of a computer running linux for over a year non stop and its oil cooled like that :thumbsup:
It's a complete pain to change parts or send them back though

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom