1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money Money Money

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dirk_Diggler, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been constantly spending cash on cables etc for my projector and i'm getting fed up with it. The signal and picture quality levels (on the menu screen)i get from my sky box are about 50%. The picture i have currently on my screen with sky is a bit ropey especially when watching football. I bought a Svga to go from my sky output to my projector but it doesn't work properly cause i think the scart RGB signal output from my Skybox is too weak. Now i'm told to buy a syncblaster. I get a sky picture which passes through my DVD recorder and from the output S-Video cable of the recorder to my projector. Can this picture be improved? Is it worth spending even more money on a syncblaster or will the picture quality of sky on a 92" screen always be poor????????????????? HHHHHHHeeeeelllllllpppp.

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    If you really want to sweeten up Sky on a big screen then something like a Lumagen deinterlacer/scaler box of tricks is the way forward. Unfortunately it's the best part of a grand to buy and install, so you really have to want one badly and have deep pockets to match. But Sky does look fantastic with it. Though even a Lumagen can't make up for the really low bit rate channels. They'll always look blocky and soft, no matter what you do.

Regards

Mark

3. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give that one a miss. Is there such a thing as an Scart to RGB Booster that i can use? :confused:

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    You can get scart distribution amps from the likes of Keene for about £40. Dunno if that's of any help.

Regards

Mark

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    What projector do you have dirk??

Have you tried just for experimentation using the SVGA adaptor with a much shorter cable - if it's losing sync it is very likely to be a cable that simply isn't good enough to do long cable runs satisfactorily.

I reckon the weak link currently is whatever your DVDr is doing to the Sky signal during the conversion to s-video. It could be even worse if the video recorder isn't even receiving RGB from the Sky box...

Then there may be the risk that what is not good about the picture is simply the various compression artefacts and errors a Sky signal has in it inherently. To get the best out of this situation you will need to go the dedicated video processor route.

6. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The fact that you are not happy with the picture is the crux of the matter. I believe Keene have a good returns service for non custom items ( Check if you are going to try a Syncblaster) which should take out some of the " what if I buy this and it doesn't work" fear I get from your post. Sell on the stuff that hasn't worked for you; somebody will want it.

I had a similar time with my first CRT and my first digital PJ and all I can say is work though the frustration; when its sorted it'll be worth it. It also helped me to bring have somebody not too knowledgable to look at the picture every so often as I would get hung up on really minor faults - I literally tweaked my first CRT PJ to death!

Sky can look great but football is a hard one to nail down for PQ and their lesser channels will always look pants as the source so poor. For PQ evaluation keep to a constant quality channel; I use Sky News.

Keep :thumbsup:

7. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got a PC hanging about (that's quiet enough or can be made quiet) you could look at a sweetspot card, takes the RGB input from the Sky box's scart and then you use the PC to scale/deinterlace/apply filters then output the PC display to the PJ.

However if the quality reading on your Sky box is about 50% then isn't that your problem? Strength can be lower but shouldn't quality be maxed out to avoid breakup/macro blocking. I don't use Sky but thats certainly the case on freeview.

8. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You gringos certainly know your stuff. How could i increase my sky signal. Would a digital TV booster improve it???

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I got so fed up with SKy at my Dad's house once I bought a roll of well shielded CT100 sattelite cable, cleaned the dish till it was shining, ran entirely new cable direct from the dish to the box (no wall boxes or joins etc) being careful not to kink the cable too hard around bends, then fitted a low-frequency noise filter in-line. Result was much stronger signal on the box, and also to my eye a cleaner one too. I'm not sure which bit made the most difference, but whatever it was it was worth it!! The original cable the riggers had used on my dads system was el cheapo, brown, bog standard coax. Not good enough for digital TV systems.