money grabbing sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Panther23, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Panther23

Panther23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About this time last year i had sky+ put in my room as part as multiroom, I received a letter on friday saying that if i didn't reconnect the sky+ box to the phone line then they would charge me full price, when i checked the wire i found that it was damaged so i contacted sky and they said that it would cost me £65 for it to be fixed, my parents have had sky tv ever since it was out and have had full package deal and we have sky+ sky multiroom and the internet and phone deal, im so pi**ed off with them, just shows the loyal you are the worse you are treated.

2. Dorza

Dorza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cable is damaged exactly?

3. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    If this is the cable connecting the Sky to the telephone socket then it is only an ordinary Modem cable and can be purchased from the likes of Comet , Currys or any computer shop for a couple of pounds.

4. Dorza

Dorza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, even the satellite cable and the connectors for it can be purchased cheaply. £65 is just daylight robbery, no other way to describe it. Even a £20 call out for something like that is daylight robbery in my mind.

5. Panther23

Panther23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we were given extra connectors so i changed that, its damage to the wires inside the cable, im awful with things like this and my mum and dad are away so im stuck tbh, i wouldn't mind but i thought they would come out and do this for free it will be a 2 minute job for them but they just want £££££, i was going to upgrade to sky hd but they can stuff it now, it seems that close to £80 a month isnt good enough for them, thanx for everybody's help

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    So what are you going to do?

Replace the cable yourself.
    Pay the £65 for someone else to do it.
    Cancel multiroom thus removing the threat of full price second sub.

From what you say since you were given extra connectors which don't work either then it sounds more like a problem with the digibox/phone socket or the internal modem.

7. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The bit I don't quite understand is '.....we were given extra connectors so i changed that, its damage to the wires inside the cable...'

So, which extra connectors? Was it complete telephone lead and that this is also faulty or some other connectors? And how was the damage caused to 'the wires inside the cable'?

I'm sorry if this goes against the grain but Sky are not responsible for customer damage *if* this is the case.
    If the cabling is damaged and the cables were installed by Sky in an area where damage was likely to occur (underneath a door/heavy traffic area etc.) then Sky should take some responsibility.

8. Panther23

Panther23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the phone cable runs from downstaires outside and up the house then into my room, this is the only way they could do it they said, the damage is on the wire outside the house, so if sky said to do it that way then i think they should replace it tbh, anyway ive phoned them again and told them that if i dont get it fixed for free im going to cancel everything with them, after i said that they said ' oh we have got a signal from your sky+ box please ring us 2moro and we will sort out the situation' thats a lie because the box still has no phone connection at all

9. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    ..and what will your parents say? Or are you the account holder?

"....my parents have had sky tv ever since it was out and have had full package deal and we have sky+ sky multiroom and the internet and phone deal...."

10. Dokken

Dokken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If thats the case you should be out of the 12 months contract, as you are only required to have the sky boxes connected to a phone line, while under contract!

11. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995

NO - it's Multiroom and the contract clearly states that BOTH boxes must be connected to the same telephone line at ALL TIMES

12. Panther23

Panther23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just thought id inform everyone that sky are coming out to fix the problem free of charge, thankyou for everyones advice and feedback