Monev

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monev, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to the forum, and came across it while searching the web for information and advice on purchasing a new DVD Recorder.
    I had provisionally decided to go for a Toshiba RDXS 32.
    However, having read several postings, and seen how many of you, who by your use of technical terms are obviously very knowledgable about the subject, have been having problems in their use, I have almost been frightened off the idea altogether.
    Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea or not for someone like me, who just about knows how to turn a television on and off and operate a vcr, to even consider a DVD Recorder, or are they really as complicated as they seem to be from many of your postings?

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I find my Panasonic easy to use,no harder than a VCR IMO.............

3. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that most of the commonly re-occurring serious problems seem to apply to one brand in particular (Philips). We tend to talk about complex stuff here because it's a Home Cinema forum and we like to get the most out of our machines. But don't worry, all DVD recorders can be used as straightforward uncomplicated recording devices if you so wish.

The Panasonics, using DVD RAM, are actually easier to use than a VCR IMO. That's because they always record directly into the available space and you cannot accidently overwrite anything. You can easily see how much disc space is available on the whole disc, and all of it is always available for recording (unlike some other formats). If you want to delete a programme, it's a few button presses (with a confirm-delete? message) and you instantly get all the space back for re-use. Simple.

Some other recorders offer this feature on DVD -RW in -VR mode but you have to choose a formatting mode on these discs which makes them less user friendly for people who like things uncomplicated. DVD RAM is not compatible with many other brands of DVD players, but Panasonic recorders also offer DVD-R for compatibility. You cannot re-record on DVD-R but this also makes it very uncomplicated. DVD RAM is also available on Toshiba models but they tend to be a bit more complicated than the Panasonics IMO.

Recorders with a hard disc (like the XS-32 you mentioned) are more complicated again but they offer far more features. Most of them can still be used as a simple DVD recorder though, so go for it! :smashin:

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a toshiba and have found no problems in using it. The fist day I had to look at the manual a couple of times, but if your lazy just press the easy nav button and follow the menues.

Steve

5. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For many people it's not complicated, but for people who consider themselves to be in this position:

Then the panasonic might be a better proposition. Not least because you have less decisions to make about choices of disc formats! ;)

6. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too would vouch for the Tosh. When it first arrived i was literally mistifyed by the manual and thought that i would never be able to use it.

However the beauty of the Tosh is that with the quick menu button you should be able to get a hang of the basic functions within a few minutes without even looking at the manual. I was able to copy to the hard drive and edit out adverts and then dub to a DVD within any difficulty without using the manual.

The Tosh is also ideally equiped with great additional features if and when you need to use them.

Go on get the Tosh

7. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think that ANY recorder which uses DVD RAM is necessarily easier to use than equivalent ones which don't have that format....for the reasons I gave earlier. Additional reasons are that RAM never requires finalizing, it rarely requires formatting and it is very reliable.

I own an RD-XS32 myself and I think it's great. :smashin: But I also recently recommended one to a friend who is a relative technophobe & he felt daunted by it and had to return it after 2 days. I'm sure that he would have liked it if he had been prepared to give it a bit longer. Anyhow, he's now got an E95 which he seems much "happier" with. But I did have to show him how to use it!! :laugh:

8. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
    I'm going to go for the Toshiba; but don't be surprised if you see more messages from me seeking your help when I get into difficulties.

Monev