1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monday = server crash day

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MartinImber, Jun 8, 2004.

1. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    1) A customer had a lot of corrupted files, had to get their hardware suppliers to check it and restore some of them

2) Our server keeled over with multiple abends

3) Another customer had a raid array crash with the main disk failing - 27 hours to rebuild including a full reinstallation of Netware then booting it up ok!!!

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    sounds like you were having a good day then :D

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    First day back after holiday as well

4. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Told a client they needed to get their server room air conditioned a couple of weeks ago - is a smallish box room with about 10 servers in with zero ventilation, no windows and the sun shines on that part of the building all day. They said sure thing, and proceeded to put a desktop fan down at one end of the room . :suicide: As if that wasnt bad enough, they then turned the fan off when they went home for the bank holiday weekend.

Next thing I know I get a call on the bank holiday weekend, sunday morning, 8:30am on my home number from the client to tell me 'the server doesnt seem to be working'. Not surprising seeing as the bloody thing overheated and turned itself off before it melted. Only good thing was the size of the bill I sent them for going in and turning it back on.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No windows in a server room - great idea :thumbsup:

Another customers server overheated early in its life - it went for 5 years with no case caver and a fan blowing on it.

The raid server which duffed its drive took 27 hours to rebuild :eek:

6. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me for replying to the sarcastic remark about no windows in a server room but I couldnt resist.

I dont know your level of expertise but windows in a Server room - have you ever heard of something called security. Have a look at the Cisco CCNA/CCNP stuff don't think they would ever recommend windows in a server room.

Glad to see someone still uses Netware - Netware 3.11/3.12 that takes me back - the most efficient stable operating system I have ever had the pleasure to work with - those where the days when men were men and any Tom, Dick or Harry couldnt call themselves computer consultants.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ours is new hardware with the old 4.11 SYS HDD fitted.

One customer upgraded from Win2000 to Netware 6.0 for performance reasons.

The RAID server is a total beast!

Had to do a reindex (pre TURBODIS install) and it was astonishing (using Advantage Database Server)

8. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Was more saying no windows to try and draw a picture of the room to give an idea of what it looked like. I certainly wouldnt expect them to have a standard window installed at the side of it, but bear in mind that half the office buildings in london have window walls these days(some even have them looking into their server rooms :eek: ) - a window doesnt always have to open :lesson:

It gets hot enough in my office (which has windows ;) ) that I dread to think what it is like in that room at the moment. :D

9. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All windows open with a decent sized brick.

Also rooms with windows can be hotter than those without.

We have just moved 10 servers and all the HP Procurve/Cisco Comms gear and those gigabyte switches are big into a 12ft by 6ft room which has no windows and has a high ambient temperature. Two grands worth of air conditioning has sorted it. If they are gonna call you out everytime the server overheats they will spend the two grand in no time at all.

10. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Try telling them that =/

Our server room is not much larger than the rack in there (about 4ft square), also no windows or ventilation but we also have aircon.