• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Monday Night Combat debut trailer

DJSigma

Banned
YouTube - Monday Night Combat Debut Trailer

Uber Entertainment has announced a brand-spankin' new Xbox Live Arcade title by the name of Monday Night Combat. Just what is Monday Night Combat, you ask? Paraphrasing our own JC Fletcher, it looks a bit like Team Fortress 2 ... if Team Fortress 2 were a game show. Presented as a game show and "sport of the future," Monday Night Combat is a class-based third-person shooter, in which teams compete for "the real American dream: cash, fame and endorsements."

The game sports six different character classes, a create-a-class feature and two gameplay modes, the co-operative Blitz mode and the competitive Crossfire mode. This one really came out of nowhere, but if it's anywhere near as good as the trailer makes it out to be, we could be in for a real treat. Expect it to arrive later this year.
Monday Night Combat announced for XBLA

gEELOVER

Established Member
Reminds me of TF2 versus Quake versus that game on the PC that had robots fighting each other, I forget its name, probably because it was poop

looks alreet though for an XBL title

DpM

Prominent Member
Do you mean rise of the robots?
Played it on the Amiga it had a load of discs and took forever to load. You had to swap disc twice between every match, nightmare. It looked amazing in mags until you got to play it and it was complete plop.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Not much discussion in this thread, but it's releasing tomorrow and the reviews have started going up today(9/10 from Joystiq and 8/10 IGN).

Review: Monday Night Combat | Joystiq

Monday Night Combat Review - Xbox 360 Review at IGN

The reviews sound quite good, but no idea if it'll be for me, will look forward to giving the demo a go anyway. At 1200 points I'll have to like it ALOT to buy it.

Also this looks like a very online focused game(if you want to get the most from it), both co-op and multiplayer, so only really good if you have a few friends buying it, unless you enjoy playing online games with randoms:rolleyes:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
You have to love Microsoft and their random Xbox Live random release times.

They go to all the trouble of having a minute by minute countdown timer for the Summer of Arcade releases, only for them to reach zero and "available now!", with no demo or full game available yet:rolleyes:

Kind of defeats the object:facepalm:

Anyway, hopefully be up soon, looking forward to trying this after reading the reviews.

DpM

Prominent Member
Ill be trying it out tonight round about 8ish. If there is multi player on the demo ill give you a shout if your on-line.

oldman100

Established Member
Downloading the trial right now.............

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Ill be trying it out tonight round about 8ish. If there is multi player on the demo ill give you a shout if your on-line.

Really hope there is as I think that'll be the only way to know if it's for me or not.

The 4 player co-op sounds like alot of fun:) See you later.

Downloading the trial right now.............

Likewise, atlhough if it's timed online like the Hydro Thunder demo I'll wait until later to try that side of the game out.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
The review are quite favourable!

Will be giving it a try tonight!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just tried the single player demo, wasn't quite sure what to make of it(certainly didn't grab me), although obviously won't really know until I've tried the online as don't think this is really meant to be player single player.

Looks as though it's a 30 minutes online trial as there's a timmer on the bottom of the screen showing remaining time.

My Gold just expired so can't say for sure, have a 48 live trial card ready for later though so will see then.

Ratinho

Prominent Member
This is absolutely brilliant online. Single player is just teaching you how to use the classes really. The crossfire mode is just constant hectic fun and it all feels really well balanced.

Might have just got lucky too but all my team picked different classes. Think it really helped in that it is very Team Fortress.

No lag too, which is always nice.

Warly

Standard Member
I played a few online games, I quite like it, felt liek a cross between team fortress and gears of war for some reason lol.

Again would have picked it up for 800 pts but not sure for 1200.

DpM

Prominent Member
I'm on the fence, annoyed that you only get half an hour and thats your lot. The on-line game I played seemed to be against a team of mostly assassins darting around stabbing people and getting one hit kills, could end up being too one sided.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Had a quick go on SP and initially loved it, got invited into a MP game and it was hectic!!

Once i discovered what i was suppose to do it became better.

I need to play the SP with each class to get familiar with all the moved, keys etc.

Its far too frantic to learn ingame in MP.

It such a pity MS decided to pitch all the summer arcades games at 1200pts, at 800 they would have had a hell of a lot more sales.

Limbo & this I'd def buy at 800 each.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Well, used up my 30 minutes of online play in the demo last night and reached the conclusion this isn't for me, not even sure it would be at 800 points to be honest.

Very manic, perhaps too manic for my taste, and don't think it's a game I can see myself getting hooked to.

Aside from that my online multiplayer game was very offputting as it had crippling lag, to the point it was impossible to control your character and ended up dropping both myself and Sheep4Europe off the edge of the map:rolleyes: Might have been a one off but being the only multiplayer game we had time remaining to try, it didn't leave a good impression for either of us. Co-op seemed fine mind you, no lag there, guessing it's when you connect with our American cousins, who I can imagine will play this game quite a bit as I can see it being more popular there than here.

With Lara Croft lacking online co-op next week(have to wait a further 6 weeks after release for that to be added:rolleyes:) it looks as though I won't be buying a single game from this years Summer of Arcade.

Still, I'll be glad to be getting back to more than one release per week, and hopefully some more 800 pointers again:)

oldman100

Established Member
With Lara Croft lacking online co-op next week(have to wait a further 6 weeks after release for that to be added:rolleyes:) it looks as though I won't be buying a single game from this years Summer of Arcade.

Tetlee wasn't Hydro Thunder your cup of tea? I was pleasantly surprised by it to be honest, and I wasn't the greatest fan of the Dreamcast version.

Back on topic, MNC wasn't for me either, thanks goodness for free trials.

Anyway roll on TNT Racers. :cool:

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Tetlee wasn't Hydro Thunder your cup of tea? I was pleasantly surprised by it to be honest, and I was the greatest fan of the Dreamcast version.

I liked it, but not enough to shell out 1200 points(should have been 800 like Outrun IMO), will probably pick it up when it hits deal of the week.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Hehe I've been pretty quiet on here the past few weeks cos I'm not even entertaining the thought of these games at 1200 so not really bothering to post too much in the threads, once the deal of the week stuff rolls around I'll have a look.

I suppose in a way it makes sense to release games at a higher price because I probably am slightly more likely to by a meh game at 800 if it's 'normal' price is 1200... Unless I wait for them to drop to 560 of course :D

Rob B

Prominent Member
I'm loving MNC - doubt I would have paid 1200 for it, but I did get the full version for free from a member of Uber over at reddit. Took a while to get used to most of the classes, but once you're familiar with how everything works, it's pretty awesome. Just a shame my Gold has run out! :(

Brutos

Established Member
I quite liked the demo,but it's another game where the split screen has half the screen black instead filling the whole screen.:nono: So it's a no go for me.

Rigid

Standard Member
I played a few co-op games last night to get a feel for the controls before venturing into a multi player room. Unfortunately the demo timed out before trying MP so I won't be buying at 1200 points. With such a short trial it makes me suspicious that they're hiding something.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom