Mon Audio/ Klipsch/ Quad - 5 of one or 2 plus 3?

pigeonsounds

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
having just bought my ex-dem Linn Movie Classik I now need to find some speakers, but the linn having taken up about 65% of my original £1000 limit, I am wondering how best to do the unit justice, quality-wise.

I'd like to go 5.1, but given my remaining budget is limited there any sense in buying two smallish speakers and a sub, then adding three more (sat+centre) later, when more funds are available? If instead, I go for a 5.1 speaker package now, I wonder if my £400-500 budget (ideally) would be up to the musical standard of the Linn?

So I am thinking along the lines of
Quad IIL2, which I can get for £230 for a pair.
Possibly B&W 686 £280 pair
or else Monitor Audio BR1/ or perhaps BR2 plus a better subwoofer.
I have also heard some Klipsch RB10's, at £233/ pair, which sound amazing for their size - what do people know about these?

Then I wonder about adding 3 Monitor Audio R45's later for the mid and rear channels, but as some of you say they sound bright, I guess they'd have to be matched with an apt subwoofer???

Would all this ammount to a better musical sounds than a Canton Movie 100 MX/ Q-acoustics 10101 or even Acoustic Energy AEGO T 5.1 set?

What would you do?

Thanks!

Have you considered the Quad Lite package.
This full 5.1 package is currently being heavily discounted (I believe as a replacement is due out) and can be had for around £5-600

Thanks, yes I have been looking at this too. Its really strtching my budget at £600 and I haven't seen it for £500.

Out of curiosity would anyone rate the Bose Acoustimass 6 set up, which I've seen for £460 instead of the normal £560-ish.

Thanks. Do you think the Quad L-ite package would ammount to a better sound than say

2x Quad 11L2 front's
1x Monitor Audio BRW10 or Tannoy Arena subwoofer
3x Monitor Audio R45's for rear and centre ?

... which I can get for about the same money as the Quad- L-ite setup.

I think the Quad system would be better.
It's all designed to work together and will be tonally matched throughout. This is particulatly important for the front speakers. Imagine a sound moving from left to right across these front 3 speakers. If one has a different 'sound' to the other two it will sound peculiar.
Also, the Quad sub is an absolute gem and imo superior to the MA or Tannoy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom