1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Momitsu V880N question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zAndy1, Jan 15, 2005.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Can anyone please tell me, will the V880N benefit from having a 802.11g ADSL wireless router instead of an 11b one (i.e. 54Mbps instead of 11Mbps)? I plan on connecting the 880N directly to the router with an ethernet cable and the PC with the media on will be using a wireless connection to the router. Is there any reason for upgrading my 11b kit to 11g kit with the V880N in mind? I know the V880N isn't compatible with that 11g standard so is limited to 11Mpbs but I presume that's just using the wireless connection option, as I'll be hardwiring mine to the router I'm assuming any extra speed I can get between my pc upstairs and the router will be of benefit, correct? My V880N hasn't arrived yet but I'm planning ahead....

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Andy

Ideally you would connect your Momitsu via ethernet cable directly to your router connected again directly to the PC, the wireless b card is not fast enough for video. What you intend to do with a wireless router g connected to the Momitsu should be fine and will provide the ability to stream video smoothly, which the b cannot handle. However, if it's just for music, wireless b is fine.

Regards

Yas

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Well video would be nice I have to admit so I may as well upgrade my 11b stuff to 11g, been meaning to do that for a while now anyway so this seems as good a time as any! I presume a Netgear DG834G router and a Linksys Wireless 54G USB adaptor will do the job? So to confirm I'll have the V880N connected by ethernet cable to the router and then the pc with the media on using a wireless 11g connection to the router, should be ok?
    Thanks for the reply btw!

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    11g should be OK for video, but an ethernet bridge would be better for your PC then a USB one (USB consumes processor power). If you cannot connect your PC to the router diectly via Ethernet, then that is the next best option.

If you want to make 100% sure that you're running at top speed, get the new DG834GT with Super G speed (that's 108Mbps - faster than ethernet). Netgear are doing a promo at the moment - bundling the router with a wireless SuperG PC card (for laptops) or a USB adaptor (for desktops etc). That way you'll have the top speed of wired connection with the convenience of wireless.

See Here

HTH :)

Moory

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Thanks for the advice, to be honest that DG834GT is a little more than I want to pay. Also I had one of the netgear USB sticks before and it caused me no end of problems, I replaced it with a Linksys 11b usb adaptor and it's been fine since then, hence my preference for a Linksys 11g usb adaptor. I'll have a look at these ethernet bridges then, I presume I'd then just need an ethernet card in the PC then (don't think my motherboard has onboard lan).

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I wouldn't touch the DG834GT with BT Broadband until they release a firmware update... I set one up for a friend recently and had major headaches - sent it back in the end and he bought a BT router which worked first time... Super G seemed good when it worked...

I've also got a WGT634U sitting on the floor in front of me which worked for all of 30 miniutes, so I'm not impressed with Netgear ATM... I've been using a Netgear FM114P for a couple of years and never had a problem so I've either been very unlucky or Netgears QC has gone downs the tubes...

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    I've gone for a DG834G 54Mbps router. Seems tried and trusted and quite a bit cheaper than the 108mpbs routers. 54Mbps should be fine for streaming dvd-video (I hope!).

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Contrary the figures i.e. 54Mbps wireless router should be more than capable of streaming data for a DVD. In reality it's terrible.

Unless the router and device with network card are in direct view of one another with no obstructions you will find MPEG2 video recorded at higher bit rates to be jerky. I've tried all manner of boosters and different wireless routers, Netgear, Linksys, BT (not sure ofthe make) and none have proved satisfactory in streaming video as if you were watching a DVD player connected directly to your TV or watching a DVD on a PC. Don't get me wrong, the picture is more than watchable and quality is no different but the video often stutters or misses frames.

I would be interested to hear if anyone successfully manged prolonged watching or MPEG2 matrial over wireless connection with no breakup or stuttering of picture and sound.

9. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I've not had any issues using my laptop wirelessly connected to a 54g Linksys with dvd playback and very, very occasional stuttering with Hi-Def material running at 1920 x 1080i. Perhaps your signal is weak or there are issues with your playback software.