1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Momitsu V880 From HiViZone

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tbrar, Jul 29, 2003.

1. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just ordered the aformentioned DVD player from HiViZone on the web, has anyone else used these guys?

I received an order confirmation, but wondered if they have a contact number as I would like to check to see when I could expect delivery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

2. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered one also, just a few mins ago.

When I emailed them they told me the end of july, so not much help, as thats what the site says and the end of july is approaching.

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Urotsukidoji

Which Email did you use?, I havn't even received a response from my earlier mail yet.

Tony

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received a mail, said that they have new stock arriving in the next few days, will process their backlog of orders & ship as soon as possible......

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Am I right in thinking that you can't just connect the DVI output of one of these new breed of DVD player to the DVI input of the Pioneer 433MXE? Doesn't that input just take a computer DVI signal (whatever the difference is?). This player looks interesting but I'm sure I'd read somewhere you'd have to get the Key Digital or Aurora input card for the Pioneer to use it (with DVI that is).

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure it's just fine. You're probably thinking of the newer DVI boards with HDCP (I think that's it) copy protection built-in. There's a new generation of DVD players on the way that only support DVI output if the receiver supports HDCP, and it's those that wont work with the Pio DVI input.

Cheers, Carl.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Andy

The DVI input on the Pioneer PDA-5002 card will only accept computer resolutions and NTSC 480p. To take the scaled 720p and 1080i outputs available from the Momitsu, you would need one of the new cards as you state. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    I'm confused, I don't understand why DVI out from a PC graphics card is different to DVI out from a DVD player. With my HTPC set at 1024 x 768 via DVI what would that equate to , 720p? In which case without a new card the Momitsu would be a definite step backwards compared to a HTPC right?
    Why can't this hobby ever be straightforward!?

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Don't Panic!

The only supposed difference with DVI from a standalone player as opposed to HTPC is that the player is supposed to output copy protection with the DVI signal for copyright disks (known as HDCP). In theory you should then only be able to play this content on a playback device that can decode this.

In fact with the V880 you can turn off HDCP and it will quite happily output 480p, 720p and a few more exotic varieties also.

Should work just fine with your plasma without the board....just make sure you've got yourself sorted for a DVI cable.

Have fun..hope it arrives soon and you're not stuck for too much with customs.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    So with the Momitsu set to output 720p connected to the DVI input of the PDA5002 board of the Pioneer 433MXE it will work fine? No other input board eg Aurora or Key Digital required?

Cheers,
    Andy.

11. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a bit confused also, in fact more so than usual..... :rolleyes:

The spec states that it will not only output a 720p, 1080i etc. etc; but it will output a 1024 x 768 output XGA - dot for dot resolution of the MXE.

An extract from the Tony Wong review on HiViZone:

I also dont understand why it would take this from a computer, but not from a DVD player.

I think we need confirmation from the likes of Gordon (Convergent) who undoubetly would have tried it allready. I shall send him an Email :smashin:

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Andy and Tony,

Please see page 11 of the PDA-5002 operating manual. Basically "HDTV signals cannot be input to input 5 (DVI), only on inputs 1 & 2". Hope this helps.

Steve

13. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Thanks.

I have heard that the DVI input has some issues, though this is common for all display DVI inputs due to the fact that DVI was designed to be a computer signal input (and other reasons that I coudn't articulate, as I dont understand!).

But if your feeding it a 1024 x 768 XGA signal at whatever Hz refresh rate, it is not as the Tony Wong peice states an ATSC HDTV input, isnt by all account a computer signal input?

Has anyone looked on AVS Forum for any clarification?

Ahhhhh.......:confused:

Tony

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Would a DVI to VGA adaptor enable the use of the 720p mode via the PC input?

Cheers,
    Andy (still confused)

15. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zAndy1

Are you currently using your HCPC in this manner ie using the DVI input to run 1024 x 768?

16. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    tbrar,

you sound like you're trying to convince yourself that this player is not for you !?

Have a look here;
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=83137&referrerid=7488

I posted a mini review of the V880. In the resolutions it does over DVI you'll see it does
    480p
    720p
    1080i
    DVI 768 60Hz
    DVI 1024 60Hz

It would seem to me that one of the latter two should provide what you are hoping (though if you can output the native resolution of your plasma that would be the ideal (480p?) - I don't know anything about plasmas I'm sorry).

With the V880 you have the option of turning off the copy protection (HDCP) and therefore the output is no different to DVI from a PC. You should have no problems. No VGA convertor required.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

17. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Thank you for that.

I am certainly not trying to convince myself the player is not for me, quite the contrary !!!!. I think you may also be getting confused, as are all of us ..........:rolleyes:

What Steve (Dutch) is saying, is, not that there is a problem with the DVD player functioning as stated, but an issue with the DVI Input on Pioneer 5002 Video Board (within our particular Plasma) accepting anything other than a 480p input.

It is this that we are trying to resolve.

Whether the DVI input on our Plasma (Pioneer PDP433-MXE) will accept the scaled signals correctly, or will we have to wait for some third party cards released later in the year to enjoy a all digital 'scaled' signal from source to display.

Our Panels have a native reate of 1024 x 768. What I said is that even if the Panel with current board has problems with 720p/1080i ASTC HDTV then we can output 1024x768 from the DVD Player, dot for dot at a 60Hz Refresh rate. This would be a computer signal and should work correctly.

Gordon from Convergent has the same panel as ourselves, he is also a distributer for all manner of scalers:- Lumagen, Key Digital (Including the Leeza). As he will have tried what we are looking to do (put a scaled signal into our current DVI input) I have mailed him to clarify.

So apologies, perhaps this has made it a bit clearer. It is not the DVD Player in question, rather our Panels DVI input accepting scaled signals.

Tony

NB - Have just been mailed that they should be shipping my unit early next week !!!!!

18. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I wouldn't get too hung-up on the DVI digital issue, as the most important thing is this player appears to have a deinterlacer and scaler onboard.

One of the player sites appears to have a DVD to VGA adapter, as it looks like you can have analog RGB out the DVD-I connector too. This should be scaled VGA at 1024x768p, if the deinterlacing and scaling are good, then this could be as good as the analog VGA HTPC input we tested and we couldn't see much noise on that.

I'd say if DVI native rate works consider it a bonus, also if it doesn't judder, a bigger bonus, plus it it actually lookes better than HD VGA a massive bonus. Without all these, it still sounds a cleaver bit of kit.

There was one caveat in the spec about not pal 575i progressive, but I don't know if this applies to the scaled DVI-I output? Still with the cash saved, you could re-buy all those PAL DVD's on NTSC region1!

regards,
    Rob.
    I think this would be great.

19. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

Yes the 576p issue. The player doesn't output 576p. However, it will output 576i or it will scale the 576i to 720p/768p etc etc.

I really want the digital all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!, hence the discussion on the DVI input of the Panel, though if not then I could use component output.

I am unsure as to how it will perform without the DVI output. The DVI-HDCP out was my main reason for buying the peice of kit. Its far cheaper then getting an SDI modded player.

I intend to hook it up via DVI to my pending scaler solution (HCPC-H3DII/HDAUX or alternative Conventional), unless of course the scaling/deinterlacing quality of the player really suprises and saves me two grand !!.

Either way I dont thing you can go wrong at the price point :smashin:

Tony

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I used my HD-Leeza outputting 1024 x 768@60Hz on DVI in to my Pioneer 433mxe's 5002 board. It was sharper than RGBHV with less dark detail noise.

I can make no guarantee's about other products adn how they communicate with 433 mxe's at given resolutions nad refresh rates

Gordon

21. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

Many thanks for the clarification.

Tony

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Oh, also .

According to Stacy Spears there is a difference between PC and video source DVI outputs. At least there should be. Video source devices have black level at different digital setting compared to PC's. Sort of like NTSC set up 7.5ire v 0re only in digital domain

Presumably this means if your display expects PC source and gets VIDEO source signal you will have incorrect playback and vice versa.

Need to go do some expert tinkering with a new toy....speak soon guys

Gordon

Gordon

23. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Urotsukidoji

Yeah, thanks for that.......?????

:confused::confused:

25. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I guess I should of explained. It's instructions on how to swap the dvd drive that comes with the momitsu for a different one. Both the bravo and momitsu drives are of poor quality and have been known to freeze if discs are in less than perfect condition, and some just freeze. It's often discussed over at the avsforums.

If you get one that freezes you can always try the above link.

26. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, thanks Urotsukidoji

27. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents, not content with our discoveries yesterday. I posted on the AVS Forum re DVI input on PDA-5002 and Scaled Signals. The response I got of interest:-

It seems to indicate that the 5002 will not take ATSC HDTV standard Video inputs; ie 720p/1080i. But, will (if refresh rate of DVI ouput on player is within range) accept a 1024 x 768 scaled source.

Looking at the spec sheet, it states:-

Mmmm.....we shall see soon enough ! :smashin:

28. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Well I've ordered one (WAF played a big part in this decision!), at that price you can't go wrong anyway. Good thing is tbrar that you'll have yours before me so hopefully I'll be able to get some good advice from you! I wonder whether outputting a 1024 x 768 signal will make the player think it's a 4:3 display though and therefore not deal with anamorphic stuff properly? Is it clever enough to deal with the non square pixels of the Pioneer? Questions, questions....
    I'm just hoping I can connect it up to the 5002 card without compromising too much, I don't want to have to fork out for a new card for the Pioneer unless I have to really!

Cheers,
    Andy.

29. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy

Whos that ??? (Im probably missing something obvious !)

I know, thats exactly what I am hoping for. The thing is though at the price we cant go wrong, it costs around £500.00 to get an existing DVD player modded for digital output (SDI), so at the very least weve got that (a digital output).

Andy, did they give you an ETA??

Tony

30. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor (she won't use the HTPC!). No ETA yet, just order confirmation, I've asked when they expect it will be despatched but no reply so far..

Cheers,
    Andy.