Momitsu V880 - 1st class service

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Drew2, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi All,

Would like to share my experience with this player:

I bought it a week ago (monday 25th) 2nd hand with no remote for the sum of 27 quid :rolleyes:

I emailed the company in Taiwan that night to inquire about replacement cost. :suicide:

Next day I got a reply asking my address and phone no. They would then process order and advice about shipping cost. :eek:

This morning (Monday 1st) my new remote arrived via air mail at no cost!!! :clap: :clap: :D

It's just "blown" me away all day long - I love it when a company makes that little bit of effort which makes a huge difference to your life,soul & confidence! :cool:

Can't thank them enough for their support service - my brand name shopping days could be coming to an end! I feel like a customer and not a consumer once again! :smashin:

What do I think to the performance of the machine?

It's just "ripped" the pants of my 500quid Pioneer - the picture through component is spectacular, colours are rich & natural and the sound is spot on with accurate 5.1 separation and 'gut' wrenching bass! :D

The picture just got better when I switched it to DVI with 1:1 pixel mapping, the detailing in the image just hits you in the face! :rotfl:

The CD playback was also a "shocking" surprise as once again the sound quality is really outstanding the timing and separation are awesome the sound stage fills my whole room. My CD player is a multi-award winning Marantz CD6000ose(250 quid) and it will now become redundant as it sounds muffled and constrained by comparison. Both are hooked up via co-axial using identical cables. I suppose the good news is I will be clearing a space on my shelves!!

Now that the machines that make the machines that make the product are so good - the badge means nothing!!

If your looking for a 1st time player this has got to be the one, it's my 6th and the first which ain't a household name!

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have..

Happy viewing what ever your watching ;)

Drew......

PS. Will be posting images at the members gallery in the near future - look out!!

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Sounds interesting.

How does the custom scaling work?

How sharp is the pic (it doesn't look as if it has any video adjustments eg sharpness - can you confirm)?

...PJ :)

3. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm also interested in your comments on custom 1:1 output. Will it therefore output 1366x768 @ 50Hz for 1:1 mapping on a modern UK LCD screen?

Finally, do you know if the DVI output is HDCP-compliant?

Sounds a neat bit of kit though. I wonder where they can be obtained new?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    They seem to have a web site with direct sales...PJ :)

5. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 1:1 pixel mapping is done through a 'Custom' menu. Easily accessed!

You input a heap of stuff about your display:

Horizontal Freq.
    Vertical Freq.
    Video Width. (eg. 1366)
    Video Hight. (eg. 768)
    HSyncTotal.
    PreHSync.
    HSyncActive.
    PostHSync.
    VSyncTotal.
    PreVSync.
    VSyncActive.
    PostVSync.
    HSyncPolarity.
    VSyncPolarity.

You can either:

Search the web and see if some one has already done the coding for your display.

Plug your PC via DVI into your display and run a program called "Powerstrip" (free download) and it will extract the info for you

or

Contact the manufacturer and ask them for the details, you did after all buy their product.

I think all adjustments are 'locked' when using DVI - will confirm later tonight.

I always find 750p 'cinematic' and kinda soft (NTSC), PAL becomes even softer looking!
    The 'Wide 720' (1:1) is clean (sharp) looking and I am very happy with it.

HDCP is no problem, I use it on a Panasonic TH-AE500.

The "Dutch connection" seems to be the place to buy.

Finally, I mailed Momitsu yesterday thanking them for the remote and got a reply this morning! They're certainly on the ball in Taiwan.

Just noticed that the DVI output menu already has a 768 setting but the above procedure would refine it for your specific display. :smashin:

6. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I agree with Drew,
    Cracking PQ, especially at 720p over DVI connected to my H78 projector.
    I have the V880N and some of the network features aren't too hot. maximum jpeg/video output 720x576. photo album playback looks dreadfull. But iTunes integration and webradio directory works well.

Wish I could say the same for momitsu.nl support
    Been waiting since the 25th July for a reply to a noise issue with the drive. (which is not apparent on drews unit)
    I sent them another email yesterday and cc'd Momitsu USA and they replied within half an hour telling me the Dutch support team should be dealing with it and if I still don't get a reply to get back in touch with the US Team.

Sean

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice that you got a replacement remote, but...

I found the remote to be pretty terrible on the 880N (can't easily see/feel the buttons in the dark; need to point accurately for it to register, even need to press buttons with fingernail to make sure they register). And the need to switch to DVI on the display, and set the Amp to DVD source was far too confusing for most users. But the good (and surprising) news was that Momitsu's on the Harmony database, and the standard Harmony remote has backlight, buttons you can feel, and kicks out a strong, wide IR signal; you can point it more or less anywhere, press "watch a movie" and it's done.

As a source device, your DVD player doesn't need to be HDCP compliant. It's your display device that needs to be HDCP compliant if you have the misfortune to have a DVD player than enforces HDCP. Momitsu doesn't. That's why my Pioneer 868 was sold in favour of Momitsu.

8. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Some observations I've made last night and this morning.

Can confirm that you can adjust Brightness, Contrast and Saturation when using Component or DVI.
    When using the projector in Cinema mode I was happy to leave them at the default. At full power I turned all settings down to 6,4,6 bars respectively.

I tried a few different output resolutions and found that 1080i component is surprisingly nicer than the 720p setting and very watchable. 1080i DVI is much the same as 720p component but displays a "graininess" and sometimes "chicken wire" on plain backgrounds.

I'll be sticking with the Wide720! :thumbsup:

On the subject of the remote - the only problem I have with it is that the buttons can jamb themselves when pressing them down which can be annoying at times :( I bounce the signal off my screen, the only remote that wont do this is for my Pioneer DVDR 510 :eek: I always thought that the 'light' button on the TH500 remote was a nice touch but I never use it! There's plenty of ambient light coming of the screen to see the buttons fine - drink plenty carrot juice :rotfl:

The noisy drives seem to be a common thing with the 880N, hope they come up with a solution for you as the 880 is so quite. An Eltax that I had sounded like a spin dryer and that was sitting about 5m away from it!! It went back within 2days and I got a Lecson but it was still well noisy and I ended up getting a cabinet with doors on it to block the noise.

As a comparison my PS2 makes more noise than the 880, in fact my projector makes more noise.

Your support issues are also mentioned else where - some one said that the team have been on holiday and are due back this week. Would've been nice if they could of organised an automated mail telling you this rather than leaving people in the "lurch" for two weeks!! :lesson:

"And the need to switch to DVI on the display, and set the Amp to DVD source " Sorry, but what do you mean? :confused:

9. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, a few potentially dumb questions. I remember when reading the forums on LCD displays that most of the 1366x768 ones had trouble working in dot for dot mode from a PC. For example the Philips 9986 (I think) would let you do, say, 720p but because the res of that was 1280x720 it appeared with a small border around in on screen. 1080i would be downscaled so it would fit but obviously not dot for dot. So:

1. With the V880N, if you set it manually to Wide 720 would that leave a border on a a 1366x768 screen?
    2. If you custom set an output of 1366x768 but the source material is 720p or 1080i HD (say Windows Media or something) would it stretch 720p to fit your custom resolution?

As you can see I can't quite get my head round it all! Suffice to say that all I want to be sure about is that I can play any source full screen, either scaled or not, and in the correct aspect ratio. I want to avoid the picture appearing in a box in the middle or stretched out of aspect ratio (for example some LCDs will only accept 1024x768 despite being 16:9 ratio!).

Cheers.

10. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi all,

Can someone tell me the best place to buy the V880 from?

Cheers,

Steve

11. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  12. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks Sean. I guess these are the cheapest at 200 Euro's?

How does the PQ from this compare to the more expensive players like the 868? Am planning to use with a 43 MXE-1 either direct or via a LumagenHDP - has anyone got any comments on this setup?

Thanks,

Steve

13. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Q.
    1. With the V880N, if you set it manually to Wide 720 would that leave a border on a a 1366x768 screen?
    A.
    You wouldn't manually set it Wide720 as this shouldn't be an option for your display. If you managed to work out how to do it your screen would just rescale again! Or like your example it would create a border as it would be controlling the pixels 1 for 1.

Q.
    2. If you custom set an output of 1366x768 but the source material is 720p or 1080i HD (say Windows Media or something) would it stretch 720p to fit your custom resolution?

A. It wouldn't stretch it to 768 it would rescale it to that size. Also do you have a Blu-Ray player? or similar device to output 720 & 1080. Unless your watching HD direct from source ie. sat box and again once you select that source the signal will be getting reprocessed to fit your panel.

Remember... :lesson:

All of these types of players are upscaling standard video material (480 lines)
    to a HD size.
    If your display panel is not a 'true' HD size ie.1280 * 720 or 1920 * 1080 the upscaled signal leaving the DVD player will once again 'go under' a rescaling process which ultimately produces degradation too the signal. In saying that the standard 720p setting still gets rescaled by my projector which is a 'true' HD panel because that upscaled signal is a universal signal (one size fits all - phnar,phnar!) - no wonder there's so much confusion :confused: The 1:1 function tailor fits the signal to your device :)

Hope you can get your head round that!! ;)

14. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh I, forgot to mention that the Vertical Banding on my projector has all but disapeared - yahoo! :clap:

Some slight lines when using 'cinema' mode - lamp now at 3545hrs.

15. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just that the amp has to be switched on and have source DVD selected, the screen has to be swiched on and have DVI source selected (unless you've got an amp that does DVI/hdmi switching), in addition to working the DVD player. For some reason, people find this very confusing with 3 remotes however many times you explain it. My Pioneer remote wouldn't learn the Momitsu codes. Harmony sorted it all out with a "watch a movie" button that did everything. When you're using component via the amp, people seem to understand better and can watch DVD's without asking for help.

The 868 is definitely more user friendly than Momitsu. Because my screen has no HDCP, I never saw the upsampled image from the 868, and the momu gives a better picture. I have seen occasional tearing during horizontal panning which the 868 didn't have. I've experimented with different custom settings but it doesn't go away. I don't see much point in going via the Lumagen, because you can set up the Momitsu to the screen's native resolution.

16. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I'm a relative n00b to all this HD stuff, pretty much learning as I go... but the set I'm planning to pick up has a 1366x768 display. I did assume the 720p signal would be upscaled to that of the TV, but when you say getting the player to rescale also produces degradation, does it make this whole thing pointless?

I mean, I'm just wanting to get an improved DVD picture quality on my HD set when I get it, so I just went with the assumption that a player that upscales to 720p would do just that (well, as much as you can do with a 480 image anyway).

17. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Drew
    Any chance you could post your "Wide 720" settings :lease: I'd really like to see how it looks on my AE500

18. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That will set it to 1:1 at 60hz if you wanted 50hz try changing the first two values too: HFreq. 44750 , VFreq. 5000 - should work!!

Ancientgeek - got what your saying! I've got 7 RCs surrounding me, my wife stays well away from them but she already has the best One for All - me!! :devil: The Harmony sounds the "biz" with the one touch button set-up.

On the upscaling issue for panel sizes other than 720- you will still get a visually far superior picture upscaling too 720p and displaying on a 768 panel than a 480p signal getting rescaled too 768. It's only the perfectionist or those who seek the purist route who want the ability to scale only once through 1:1 mapping.

Upscaling: making the picture larger through algorithmic interpretation (or words too that effect!)
    Rescaling: making the picture fit the panel through stretching or compression

Could some one confirm that actually LCD & Plasma TVs don't upscale but rather rescale the signal as I haven't read anywhere in the manufacturers specs that they have upscaling engines except for the new LGs with DCDi.

I believe thats why standard broadcasts look so bad with tonnes of artifacts. Most shops here have HD sat programs showing and the display set too Dynamic to make them look their best. What an illusion!! Is this right or am I now confused!! :confused:

Will invest in an IXOS DVI-D cable this weekend so hope to post some images by next weekend , currently using the cable that came supplied with the home PC. Hope/Should see a difference in PQ again! Does anyone have this make of cable? Would like to hear how you rate them as I could get an AudioQuest(Marantz) for around the same money ( 40 quid ).

Cheers...... :D

Attached Files:

19. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I'd be interested to know this too. Projectors certainly do have scalers built-in...PJ :)

20. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    SamirP - stick to the original code numbers, I am watching 'First Contact' it's a PAL disc from the UK and the Borg cube is coming out of the screen! Flippin Fantastic PQ no problems to report.

PJTX100 - noticed you use the same Amp as me, how do you find it? I soldered in a high end cable with a gold pin plug, what a difference that made! Heaps more bass reproduction and better sound field well worth doing, it'll stop you upgrading your Amp for a while!! The Momitsu has certainly "woken" it up... :thumbsup:

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Hi. The DSP-A5 is fine. I recently added a BKXLS200 sub which has satisfied my bass cravings. For me, the main shortcoming of the A5 is that it can only switch s-vid (ie no component), I would have found component switching useful. That said I plug everthing straight into the PJ now. There are also some usability aspects which I would change if I could, but sound-wise it does what I need. It's certainly powerful enough!...PJ :)

22. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Drew2
    thanks for posting your settings :thumbsup: I'll try them out when I get home tonight. :)

Edit: Thanks mate, Now running Wide720 1:1 :thumbsup:
    I thought i did something wrong at first, then realised I had to switch the pj from EDID1 to EDID2
    Thanks again mate :thumbsup: I'm off to check out a few films

23. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  24. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone else having problems ordering one from their page?

On the Order Confirmation page, pressing the 'Step 1, Calculate now' button does nothing.
    I have tried it using another browser, and on another computer, I fear it might be a bug on the website.

I'd really like to get it ordered, as it's going to be my birthday present ^_^

25. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Think it's a recent fault - I tried it only last week (getting price for my brother) but tried again tonight and it locked up!

Another machine to examine is a Toshiba SD 350E, haven't found any detailed spec about it yet - suspect it wont be as user friendly as the Momitsu, but build quality should be good with good internals.

26. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tempting, I might look into it. It does have a HDMI, which is one thing I wish the Momitsu has.... my DVI port on my TV is taken by the PC, so I'll have to get a DVI-D to HDMI adaptor and plug the Momitsu into the HDMI that way.

Main reason I'm still swayed towards the Momitsu is it's ability to upscale into DVI 768 and DVI 1024, which is better than the usual 720p upscale because my set is 1366x768.

27. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no luck it seems. Does anyone know another place that sells that player?

28. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  29. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
  30. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, cheers. I've emailed Momitsu about their broken page, if I get no reply, I'll go for one of those links.