1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Momitsu V800N vs. KiSS 508/608

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KraGorn, Jan 16, 2005.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not necessarily asking the 'which is better' type of question here :), but am interested in views as to the merits of each. In particular I'm interested in using something to play ripped DVDs in lieu of an HTPC, to this extent I know the V800N can play .VOBs but don't know if it has the intelligence to do .IFOs too, and I've no idea if/how well the KiSS does it.

I have a V880 and a KiSS 450 so am familiar with both, as noted in another thread I can't get the V880 to give me 50Hz and haven't bothered trying the KiSS.

Seems to me that the V880N with its' 720p capability is probably the choice but if anyone has compared these two I'd be interested in comments. :)

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The Kiss stupidly has limitations on showing macrovision material when scaling and although people have hacked the firmware to remove macrovision limitations for taping to vcr or dvd recorders the macrovision signal on dvds still blocks use of higher resolution modes. Its completely stupid and a massive incentive to be a pirate if your a kiss dvd player owner. The Kiss as you are probably aware is capable of going up to something like 1600x1200 resolution via VGA but not for macrovision dvds. The same limitation is there for component output I believe beyond 576/480 lines. However the Kiss players will happily do 50hz or 60hz or even 60hz or 75hz for VGA output.

Another annoying thing is that past firmwares didn't have the same limitation I think at least at the beginning but you wouldn't want to use those as the picture quality was much poorer back then.

The fact the Momitsu doesn't have this stupid scaling restriction must surely make it the better player. However a suprising large number of dvds don't have macrovision and the results with VGA from the Kiss players is excellent.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wasn't aware of that problem with Macrovision, though since I would be looking to play ripped DVDs .. I won't say that I own them, I do but no-noe believes comments like that anyway ;) .. then Macrovision won't be a problem for that but ordinary DVDs will be.

I like the build quality of the KiSS players, the Momitsu feels like it'll fall apart if you put it down too hard. :)

Hmm. My main 'issue' is their netwrok playback abilities, how easy they are to use and how rip-friendly they are, I have a vague feeling that the KiSS won't handle .IFOs for 'piracy' reasons as well. :(

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Looks like someone has done a vga fix for kiss firmwares :clap: :clap:

Might be worth knocking yourself up a VGA or component lead for your DP-450 and trying it out with this latest firmware. Then if you like the results you might want to consider the latest Kiss players with added functionality as long as there is a hacked firmware available for them too.

http://www.gooddvdstuff.com/kissdvd/viewtopic.php?t=4432

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks, sounds like a useful thing for me to try. :)

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Make sure you get the fixed version as the first release is a duffer. Works a treat, now everything even macrovision protected dvds can play at high resolution! Fantastic.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the warning, I browsed their forums and saw the problem this causes, damned MPAA. :mad: