1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Momitsu/Brainwave on 433MXE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fielt80, May 22, 2003.

1. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a BRAINWAVE DVD-V880 with a DVI
    output after reading some great reviews ("When I compare Brainwave to my state-of-the-art HTPC system it's in a same leaque"
    "Seeing Brainwave 720p via DVI all DVD-players (also the most expensive) look dull")

What also is great, is that the fact that this DVI input is non-HDCP compatible, is not an issue with this player.

However i seems to a very bad bargain because i also have read
    that DVI input on the PDA-5002 only accepts computersignals.
    :(

Can anyone confirms that this is the case. And is there a easy solution for this (I have read that there is in the menue a DVI 768 setting which i think stands for 1024x768)

Ronald

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Ronald,

Yes, the PDA-5002 DVI input only accepts computer signals, not HD video signals. I think you will need to buy the new Aurora A303-HDCP card which will accept HD video signals - price approx $500. :(

Steve

3. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Steve,

Thanks for letting me know. I have been reading a little bit about this card and it seems to be not so good for SD televsion.(HD is perfect)
    Although people in the thread were talking about 480i. It might be diferent with Pal.

May be in the future they can resolve the issues with this card. I hope so because the Key Digital one is to expensive.

4. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone knows this: does the aurora card has any effect on the quality of the inputs of 1 (VGA) and 2 (component).

This is interessting to know because those inputs are important
    because i use those to connect sattelite and HD VCR.

In other words i don't care so much if the s-vhs input or component input are not so good on the aurora card

This is what i have read in an other forum:

"Only sources fed to the card get processed by the card. The card enables an I/O pin on the plasma to tell it to accept video resolutions via input 1 & 2. The plasma does have its own scaler and de-interlacer but specific to the signal coming in. If you do not have a card in the slot whether it is ours or Pioneers Input 1 & 2 will only accept PC resolutions. The card slot does no processing to inputs 1 & 2."

5. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over here in Europe we don't have sat-equipment yet with dvi outputs so the main reason for an update from a PDA-5002 to a Aurora A303-HDCP
    would be to connect a dvd player with a DVI output.

However according to the above quotes it is very doubtful that you would have better results with a "DVI DVD Player/Aurora combination" than with
    "Progressive(Faroudja) DVD player/PDA 5002 combination" (using component on the plasma)

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Ronald,

By using a DVI connection you are cutting out D/A and A/D stages giving a pure digital connection from DVD disc to plasma. So I am sure you would get a better picture from a DVI output player to the Aurora card, than a progressive component DVD output into the Pioneer's built-in component input which doesn't use the card for processing. Hope this helps.

Steve

7. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    May I ask where you bought the 880 from? I'm having some trouble tracking down one for myself,

Thanks

Paul

8. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How can you say that the Brainwave when using DVI is in the same league as HTPC and expensive DVD players when in the same post you say you can't use it via DVI to you plasma :confused:
    Are you just hoping it's going to be better ;)

RAMiAM

9. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

The first sentences in the thread that i started were quotes
    from other people (people for instance who have projecters
    with dvi inputs that were able to see the results of the brainwave player)

I recently ordered such player (not have it yet) only to find out later that it is useless to me without the Aurora card.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    Fielt80

Not had any hands on with the Aurora products - I dont know if they are or will be CE approved so I'm only working on what I can take from the PDF files on the Aurora web site.

From what I read I would say that with the A303 card fitted Inputs 01(15 Pin D-sub) and Input 02 (5xBNC) on a Pioneer MXE will act as if there were no video card installed - so no RGBHV at 15.6 kHz and no YUV Component video; it'll be RGBHV or RGsB at 33.5 kHz and above (as set out in the Pioneer spec sheet).

The DVI input on the Pioneer PDP-5002 card will accept an NTSC video signal (640x480)* - though the internal scaler on the card has to be invoked to 'fill' the screen so its a bit of a mish mash as far as analogue and digital signals are concerned.

*We have achieved this with a TAG DVD fitted with its PSM board - though I'd hardly say it was a raging success and not bullet proof in that it didn't play some discs.

Today I had Gordon over (Convergent AV) and he set up his Key Digital HD Leeza with an NTSC source with the Leeza outputting 1024x768 via RGBHV and its DVI output.

Gordon was not 100% happy with the set up** though when it was working well it really shows you what the Pioneer MXE panel is capable of if you feed it the best signal.

**Gordon is still 'proving' the Leeza - I hope the Key Digital boys are paying him a fee for all of his 'development' work and feedback.

Roll on the Key Digital Pioneer MXE card - if its capable of reproducing what I saw today there will be a lot of happy bunnies once its ready for release.

Best regards

Joe

11. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Joe,

Thanks for all the info.

I am suprised that the DVI input on the PDA-5002 will accept
    a ntsc videosignal !

Has this something to do with the fact that the values of ntsc video (640x480 and 59,9 vertical frequence and 31,4 horizontal frequence) are very close to a 640x480 computersignal (60 and 31,5)

So i presume Pal over DVI is not possible.

I think i might have to go with HTPC, ( at least native resolutions DOT by Dot 1024x768 @ 60Hz will be suported- which is not the
    case with the Aurora card,it will be upscaled to 1080i !)
    or wait for the Key Digital Pioneer MXE card (in case this card is
    accepting native resolutions)

Ronald

12. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me that for now the Aurora card as a vehicle for
    SD signals via DVI is not a good idea although i think it could benifit people in the US who have HD sat equipment with DVI outputs

Ronald

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    Ronald

Spot on its just a happy coincidence that NTSC works - not planned upon (or considered) as far as I can tell from speaking with Pioneer UK.

We supply the Pixel Perfect PC graphics cards to our corporate customers when using the Pioneer displays in digital signage solutions. See www.imaginegraphics.co.uk

Best regards

Joe