Momitsu/brainwave and samsung?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TopMeTom, Oct 26, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    As I have just got a panny 6 i was wondering if it is worth purchasing one of these players for the pq?
    Momitsu 880 $229 hivizone
    brainwave 880 135.90 euro
    samsung hd935

what do you reckon?

Phil:smoke:

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Go for it. I use a panny 6 with the Momitsu and it's very good indeed. Better than my Phillips 963SA DVD thru component.

Only issue is that currently the Momitsu will only drive the panel at 480p thru DVI due to issues with either the Momitsu firmware or the DVI board firmware, depending on the resolution being output. But given it's a 480p native panel, that's hardly the end of the world.

3. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it must be the board. I have the fujitsu panael based on the 5 series panny but with avm and 480p, 720p and 1080i all work via DVI.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yeah, I'd agree. Thanks for confirming though - useful to know it can work. I just need to get the firmware update from Panasonic. Still waiting to here from them ....

I also have problems with 1024x768 from the Momitsu, but believe that's the firmware in the Momitsu and not the Panny DVI board since (a) a PC DVI signal at that res is fine, and (b) Pio433MXE users have the same problem with the 768 setting.

Not that either of these problems are a major. The 480p output is plenty good enough, but it would be nice to be able to play around with the settings.

I'm very nervous about updating the Momitsu firmware though (latest version has custom settings enabled, apparently). I'd hate to update and then find that 480p (the only 100% working output mode) is broken. And I have no idea which firmware is on there at the moment, because they didn't include the firmware version string in the menus with the early firmware.

5. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panasonic 6 and have used it with both Brainwave and Samsung - Samsung was the hands down winner for me for both PQ and build quality/functionality. Are you sure about the price on the Brainwave - sounds about EUR100 too cheap (!) - if you can get it at that price though I'd get it. May now be worth waiting for new Pioneer HDMI players due out shortly - but they will both be more expensive than the Samsung and the Brainwave. Strangely enough the 480p/576i DVI output modes on the Samsung didn't work on my screen - but all others did with great results.

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Brainwave 880 and have been having all sorts of problems with it. It used to judder on the player menu screen on 720p but was OK on anything else. I sorted this out by shortening the cable run from 10 metres down to about .05 metres. No juddering at all now and an outstsnding picture on my Sony HS1 PJ in 720p via component.
    However, whenever I turn the player off, next time I use it, I have to reset it by removing the plug from the mains. If I don't do this, it tells me every disc I put in is a CD and outputs nasty white noise through the amp...and then there's the front panel display. It has a mind of it's own. It comes on when it feels like it during a movie and then comes on again when the player is switched off!!:confused:

Anybody else have these problems. The picture is so good, I'm keeping the Brainwave and putting up with it's problems...I get it second hand. The guy I got it from has offered to help out in costs back & forth to Germany - is it worth it? Or do all Brainwave & Momitsu players suffer these problems...?

7. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a firmware issue, or so I am told, as this problem started when a new firmware version was released.

My momitsu also suffers from this problem. As long as you unplug it everytime you watch a dvd you should be fine.

I suggest you wait for the new firmware to arrive and then make up your mind.

8. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke .. upgrade the Brainwave firmware and that won't happen anymore.

Go here http://www.nichimen.de/multimedia/index.htm then customer center, and download it.

Had the same issues with mine and it's now sorted.

Cheers,

Pedro

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downgraded the firmware to 1.02 and that has sorted out the front panel display problems...still needs unplugging everytime I want to play a disc though.

Kota - what version firmware is that mate? I've downloaded it but it won't open...

Edit - just read the read me file and realise that I need Nero...just downloading the demo file file. I must say, that firmware is twice the size of anything on the manowa page...here's hoping.

10. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes ... do go ahead and burn the image into a cd using the latest Nero version ... it's all automatic, you don't need to do any changes on the program.

Once you've got the cd ready, follow the instructions in how to upgrade the firmware in the Manowa page. The instructions provided in the Nichimen page are not 100% correct ...

Good luck :smashin:

11. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    The Brainwave and Momitsu players sound interesting, and may well be a great player to hook up to my Z2 when it arrives.

Where can I get some more indepth info about them? I've tried searching on the web, but it's a bit hit and miss. Most of what I've found has been in a foreign language.

Are there any English reviews/suppliers?

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
  13. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Momitsu and the Brainwave are basically the same machine the only difference being the scart socket on the latter ...

As to the different firmwares available, I've been told by Nichimen NOT to use the Manowa ones on the Brainwave :nono: I know for a fact people have done it, same got new issues, some got improvements ... in any case, beware :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Pedro

14. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I think I probably need a DVD-101 course as I'll admit my technical knowledge of these things is limited.

It says it doesn't output PAL progressive at 576p. Given that most of my films are UK R2 does this mean I won't be able to watch them in progressive?

15. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope .... if you get the Brainwave, the first thing you should do is to upgrade it to latest firmware on the Nichimen page. It says the the date is from June but the firmware is actually from May 15. This works fine with my player.

Then you must go into the secret menu, set it to region 0 and remove macrovision. If you do this, you can then use the 720p video setting with both Pal and NTSC disks via the dvi output :D

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The firmware dosen't work in my machine...:( Nothing happens - it just ISODISC on the front panel. I have done firmware upgrades/downgrades before succesfully but the one I burnt from the link above just dosen't do anything...just the DVD player screen up...

17. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Kota - Nifty. Now I just need to find somewhere that sells them :)

18. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys .. got to dash now ... get back to you later ...

PS: download it again and burn a new cd ... happened to me the first time too :D

19. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bursar - I got my Brainwave from www.cyberport.de - good and speedy service - no UK supplier so far as I am aware - this is better that getting the player from SE Asia if you ask me. If your display/projector is HDCP compatible why not get the Samsung 935 which has a DVI output for £175 from digiuk - which will be a Samsung UK unit with a UK warranty.

20. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Thanks for the link. The Z2 is HDCP compatible, so that's not an issue.

The main thing is that the Brainwave works out at about £100 + shipping so it's a bit cheaper than the Samsung.

I'm also having trouble finding info on the Samsung unit. Have I suddenly lost the ability to use search engines or something? Most of the links I find are for foreign sites and online translation is patchy at best.

21. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The firmware burnt second time and so far, all seems pretty good. Thanks for the link kota, really sorted things out. This really is different firmware as well - there's not as many options in the DVI output as I had previously and the DVD and component options have swapped places on the setup menu...
    Does anybody know where I can download some firmware for Elta DVD players? They seem to have the same operating system as the Brainwave/Momitsu players...a friend of mine has one that he also uses as a CD player. The player has started to play CD's at half speed but plays DVD's fine...:confused:
    Firmware upgrades/downgrades seem to fix just about everything with these players so I was wondering...

22. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bursar - wow - the Brainwave price of EUR149 is very good - if you haven't already done this I would search for the Samsung 931 (the US version) and also have a look on the AVS forum where there is tons on information on the 931/935. Also the EISA awards homepage has information on the 935. Good luck!

23. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

I have to say at EUR149 the V880 is a steal.

The DVI and component picture quality is awesome.

Of course I've seen sturdier cardboard boxes....

Cheers
    Marc

24. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second that :clap: mine cost me €299 not too long ago :mad:

25. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROFL ! Just got mine back from Germany where a colleague bought it for me. First thing I had to do was take the lid off. Marginally thicker than a roll of tin foil it was still managing to press down on the DVD tray stopping it ejecting. That fixed I set about the remote which wasn't working either. Put some fresh batteries in a hey presto - it works.

Next morning - remote doesn't work again. Anyone else had this. I don't really want to go to all the trouble of returning the whole package just because of a very cheap and iffy remote. Anyone else had this.:rolleyes:

Thanks

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mine worked for an hour or 2 with the firmware - then the front panel duly kicked the bucket again...and the unplugging of the player has again become a ritual to get it going before a showing...back to square one, but with European firmware!!
    As a final word on this, the old cliche "you get what you pay for" definetly stands true with this player. It induces more stress than it does pleasure IMO and would be well worth going for one of the other players if you are after DVI only...I don't actually need DVI out as my PJ is not compatible - I use component 720p - but won't sell it on because the resell value isn't worth it now the price is 100 Euro's...:rolleyes: :( :thumbsdow

27. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Now it's getting tricky though, as it seems the Samsung 935 has a few problems as well.

Are DVD players really that complicated that they need to have their firmware constantly updated?

Maybe I'll leave it for the time being and just use the Tosh 330. I'm sure a reliable DVI based player will be out eventually....

28. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It seems a lot of these players arrive DOA or have issues. SO factor in some extra ££ for sending back to Germany on top of the £100 if you are going for one. That way you won't be too dissapointed if it has to go back.

29. jsebright

jsebright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking for a DVI player to drive a yamaha LPX-500 projector which is probably not HDCP compatible. Very tempted by the brainwave V880, apart from the build quality issues.

Can anyone confirm what I could get the Samsung 935 to do via DVI with my projector - ideally I want a 1280x720 image, but I suppose if I got native DVD resolution then the projector could scale it. Could it?

Which one do I go for - Brainwave or Samsung ? Cost difference is not too great, not worried about other features (already have a pioneer 565 for DVD-Audio & SACD, and don't care about DIVX yet), just looking for picture quality from projector and ease of use.

Jon.

30. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi

I have an LPX-500 it is not HDCP. The Samsung 935 is HDCP.

HOWEVER I tried one on the off chance and it worked!

Only in 720p mode, but who cares, as that gave a resolution of....

1280x720!!!!

Looks great.

I reckon the multiregion hack may have removed the HDCP but have no way of knowing as it had already been applied to mine.

The V880 should work on the LPX, I've read posts where it does. However mine didn't like it. I put the DVI into the VGA and that worked and looked great.

Cheers
    Marc