Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

momitsu/9965 philips plasma problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by markus933, Mar 21, 2005.

1. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys.

I recently bought a momitsu dvd player that i thought i had reserched reasonably well on this forum to play via component output into my Philips 37" 9965 plasma tv with pixel plus.I was under the impresion that this dvd player displayed either/or progresive scan and interlaced images.I know that displaying a progresive scan image dosnt seem to be possible with this philips model but i thought it would display in interlaced mode.Unfornunatly it seems for me not,nothing just a blank screen.The only images i get are through a scart lead and i`m a bit gutted to be honest..Anybody got any ideas??Ive seen a converter on e-bay,ive put the link below but i`m not sure if it will do any good or if i`m waisting my time and more money.Any advise apart from selling the bloody telly would be welcome!! :lease:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11319&item=8179373063&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Momitsu indeed only seems to output progressive via component and while there's a Custom setting for DVI which I'm told can be used to set interlaced, there's no equivalent for component.

If you want interlaced then you have to use the SCART, IMX there's little difference in quality between its' RGB and YUV outputs.

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You can also use s-video, which gives a decent picture too.

4. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your coments guys.I supose i`m just disapointed as i specifically bought the Momitsu for its up scaling capabilitys.The philips resolution is 1024x1024 and i thought that the momitsu would be able to take advantage of this and upscale giving a significantly better image over a standard dvd player.I think the second vga port on the e-box may be capable of taking a progresive signal and wonderd if a component to vga converter might be a possible solution??

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The trouble with that idea sadly is that since the Momitsu can't output native resolution then you'll incur a second scaling operation in the display. Only in DVI mode does the Momitsu provide for custom resolution, which is what you'd need to get 1:1 mapping (assuming the TV can accept that).

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why can't you use 1080i over component? I am able to use this mode on a Hitachi 1024x1024 display with a Momitsu 880DX.

7. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive tryed the 1080i route and still a blank screen.I`m pretty sure i`m not missing anything obvious in set up.I`m thinking the Philips is just a bit of a donkey..

8. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I think you need to enter a code to get the Momitsu to upscale over component.
    Check out www.avsforum.com. There's a whole thread devoted to the Momitsu player.

9. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes you do need to check out avsform usa
    the momitsu can ouput custom resolutions, it is complicated but any res can be done
    search avs to find the answers

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As I said above, my V880N doesn't offer custom resolution over component, only DVI.

11. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Doesn't your Phillips plasma have a VGA input? All you then need is a DVI > VGA dongle (about £10) and your Momitsu should output 1024 x 1024, or you can set it up in the custom display. You should also select the choice of resolution in the settings menu, under options!

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The dongle idea won't work I'm afraid. It doesn't convert the digital output of a DVI-I socket to analog, it simply makes the analog pins from the DVI-I available in a VGA connector.

13. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    But can't you output 1080i over component?
    With the 880DX I can do this over component.
    I can also use the VGA adaptor for the DVI to VGA and still get 720p and 1080i. Isn't the 880N the same as the DX, only with online capabilities?

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes you can, I'd overlooked that when I commented about about no interlaced output via analog (I was thinking about SD at the time), I was talking about the 'DVI Custom' option for video output, there's no equivalent 'Component Custom' option where you can set an arbitrary resolution and refresh rate.

I have to admit I wasn't aware you can use the RGB output of the DVI-I to get scaled output, the specs say DVI-I but I've always taken it to mean only the DVI-D part contained scaled output, though I haven't needed to look into that aspect.

15. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right,so the DVI to VGA thing will work then?Theres a worrying aray,DVI-I,DVI-D,DFP i`ve put a link below,could one of you kind gentlemen point out which one i need.The second VGA port on the e-box is designed for you to be able to plug in a PC,dont know if there`s more than one sort of vga port??http://www.homestead.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51071

16. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    The one you need is the DVI-I male to VGA-female. Item #DVI-001.
    There is a picture of it on www.hivizone.com
    Also I noticed on the link, a DVI-I male to VGA male lead too. That's probably a better option.

17. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :thumbsup: Thanks Mray,i`ll order one up and post the outcome.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's the 'dongle' that simply extracts the VGA (RGB) signals from the DVI-I socket into a 15-pin VGA DSub. You should have got one with the video card.

The video signal you'll get on that will be the same as that on the VGA connector, but for Display 2, ie. what is also being output in digital on the DVI-D pins.

19. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Video card?My plasma dosn`t have dvi inputs into the e-box or screen only 2 vga ports onthe e-box.One outputs to the screen directly and the other is designed for you to be able to use the screen as a pc monitor.Its switchable via the remote.Since the only way at present of using the Momitsu is via scart Mrays dongles my best option via vga port 2 is it not?I`m confused..

20. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    The way I used it was to plug the "dongle" into the back of the Momitsu, then connect a vga cable between it and the tv. But that was because I had a cable handy, and ordered the adaptor when ordering the Momitsu, just in case. You have the option of a dedicated lead too, don't forget.

21. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The DVI > VGA to your VGA input will work fine and you can try and set the custom res to suit your screen. Head over to AVS to get custom timings suitable for your plasma, or contact Momitsu direct.