Momentary Freezes of the Pace Twin - Does the Topfield and Panasonic suffer from this

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Maximumbaz, Apr 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had enough of the Twin and the lack of support from Pace, the constant momentary freezes and its many other faults are driving me mad. Do the Topfield and Panasonic PVR's suffer from the momentary freezes or is this bug unique to the Pace Twin?

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I was a Pace twin user for over 13 months, and although I loved the user interface, the freeze and lock ups drove me mad :eek: and I have since departed with it R.I.P :devil:

I now have a Topfield, and it is fantastic :thumbsup: not one freeze or lock up to date (after 3 weeks use) and I can safely leave it to archive a movie (to dvd) not worrying about whether the damn machine has frozen 10 minutes in.
    The other benefit, and an obvious one at that, is that it records everything. With the Pace, I always had the odd missed or '0' recording, which was really frustrating :(

Not sure about the Panny for lock ups etc - but from what i've read, it is somewhay buggy.

Finallu

3. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    i also had a twin for 2 years,i tried a panasonic very noisey very slow-junk-
    i also now have a topfield very stable no jumping,freezing very reliable...

ps i do still use the pace upstairs,cant bear to part with it xxxxx

4. Seanmac

Seanmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had a lot of problems with my 2 year old pace , freezing, no channel 3 etc..But I made an earthing mod inside the unit and since then it has sorted all the problems and the picture even seems better.
    I,m sorry i can't remember the person who showed ( picture) of the mod. look on the forum for pace issues and you should come across it.It is basically earthing the main Rf cable inside to the other twin cable points and then to the main frame of the unit, I even managed to use less wire than the original mod, all you need is some good cable and be handy soldering. :smashin:

hope this helps

Seanmac

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,679
    My Panasonic locked up four or five times during its first four days with me. Since then, although it's slow and has a poorly designed UI, it hasn't actually let me down.

I have good, clean signal. Watching live TV is faultless.

On playback of recordings, these are on the whole glitch-free. I have seen interruptions occur:

- at points where I have previously edited the HDD contents (eg to remove an advert break) it may take a few seconds to stabilise after the edit - audio intermittent

- at points where some other activity took place during the recording (eg another recording starts) there may be a momentary freeze.

But nothing at all like the Pace Twin and it's affinity for simply freezing the image (often on a fade to black) while carrying on with the soundtrack.

I can't speak from personal knowledge, but there is a separate thread on the Topfield which would indicate that it, too, is far from bug-free.