Mom & Dad (9 March 2018)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair
A teenage girl and her little brother must survive a wild 24 hours during which a mass hysteria of unknown origins causes parents to turn violently on their own kids

From Crank co-director Brian Taylor
UK (Mum and Dad)

Arrives in theaters and on VOD and Digital HD on January 19, 2018.

Viewer Discretion

Nic Cage doing mental is what gets me out of bed each day. This is something I can watch.

Well, the title is certainly generically misleading. This looks insane. Nic Cage in full on Jack/The Shining mode. Oh yeah.

Read the description and wondered why on earth anyone would want to watch a film about adults who try to hurt their own children. Then I saw Nice Cage mentioned and I knew right then that I've no interest in this.
He's not made a good movie since Red Rock West.

Read the description and wondered why on earth anyone would want to watch a film about adults who try to hurt their own children

I don't have any kids so, to me, this film's pretty much coming from the same kind of angle as a horror film about zombies, vampires, werewolves, or any other creature that I haven't brought into my home to be part of my family.
I think it'll make a change to spin it round from evil kids trying to kill their parents

I do completely understand where you're coming from though, we have dogs and cats instead of kids and I can't watch films like
Marley And Me
My Mrs even checks with Does the Dog Die? if she knows there's a dog in a film I propose watching, so she can be prepared

Given I spent xmas day in my "Merry Christmas from St. Nic" t-shirt (featuring a beaming Mr. Cage with a santa hat), I'm pre-sold on this. That aside... it just looks like pretty darn good time. Looking forward to it.

Read the description and wondered why on earth anyone would want to watch a film about adults who try to hurt their own children. Then I saw Nice Cage mentioned and I knew right then that I've no interest in this.
He's not made a good movie since Red Rock West.

Nick Cage’s best performance is in Leaving Las Vegas, that came out after Red Rock West.

Nick Cage’s best performance is in Leaving Las Vegas, that came out after Red Rock West.
Think that's the one I'm thinking of. The Rock and Con Air make me want to punch myself in the face... ****!

I didn't find this anywhere near as entertaining as I thought I would. I like the concept and how things don't get very detailed and stay pretty vague as to the why's and wherefores behind what's happening, but it felt so much longer than it's 80 minutes run time.
I don't think Selma Blair doing her usual phoning it in from deep in a coma helped one bit. Maybe I've missed the good ones, but her performances always seem really lifeless to me and in this she seemed to suck all the energy out of every scene she's in. That's quite some feat when she's acting alongside Nic who's trying, and pretty much succeeding, to be as bonkers as humanly possible. But he's done that shtick so many times now it's become just a routine Nic Cage performance for him that either gets elevated or reduced by the quality of the film and actors around him. For the most part, even when everything hits the fan, the results felt very flat for me.

On the positive side, I thought it made a nice change for a film not to have the visuals for a character's internal mental chaos accompanied by chopped up musical stabs of Nine Inch Nails. Instead, this one goes back to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and more predictably, Crank and it's sequel) to get it's noisy inspiration for the sound of someone going psycho. Not exactly original but still just different enough from how they usually do it these days. I thought it worked nicely, anyway.
And there is a highlight, when
Nic's mum and dad arrive right at the end giving Lance Henriksen 5 minutes to save the film from completely flatlining all the way through by being the best thing in it by quite some margin. Nic getting maced in the face by his mum and then Lance chasing him round the trashed house with a big knife while Nic obliviously chases his own son at least gave it the opportunity to cash out on something approaching a high point

but, overall, it ends up being about as good as you expect a Nic Cage film to be these days.

I'm holding out hope that the upcoming Mandy is as good as the reports from Sundance say it is. Nic needs a decent film right about now, if only to help me get through the next 20 substandard DTV films he'll undoubtedly make in the next 6 months

i enjoyed it, bet they had a blast whilst making it, Nic good doing what he does best, being off kilter. mother-in-law and sun roof fly by :D 6.5/10

3/4 Empire
As a horror movie it’s undisciplined, but as a vehicle for Cage it’s an absolute blast.
A nasty riff on Poltergeist in which glitchy TVs cause mayhem of a different type. As satire, it’s hit and miss; as a Nicolas Cage mayhem delivery system, it’s highly effective.

Nic Cage doing mental is what gets me out of bed each day. This is something I can watch.

I think this will be another laugh out loud funny Cage performance, hopefully on a par with The Wicker Man!

This is a weird, horribly put together film. The editing is by far the worst I’ve seen for ages. It’s a bat poop crazy premise but it doesn’t go crazy enough. Cage’s brand of lunacy is it’s biggest strength but for me it could’ve done with being a little more crazy 4/10

Last edited:
Well I really enjoyed this, great premise and performances though the ending was rather abrupt

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom