1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molex SilentDrive - HDD Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by MuFu, Nov 14, 2002.

1. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The noise of this WD800 hard drive has been bugging me. :mad:

They quote 35/38dBA on their website which is "loud" as it is, but I think even that is a conservative figure. Maybe I have fussy ears, I dunno... very sensitive to high frequencies, that's for sure. Like a foetus. :D

Anyway, so bought this Molex SilentDrive with some stuff for a client build a few days ago...

http://www.molex.com/product/silent/silentdrive.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what d'ya know?! IT IS SUPERB. :D :D :D

I don't have my SPL meter with me here at uni, but I'd guess it's cut HDD noise to well under 30dBA. It's barely audible - right down in the mix like a Barracuda ATA IV (I have one in the HTPC to compare). Spindle noise has pretty much gone and all you can hear now is an occasional, muffled clunking when the drive is seeking.

Condenser mic, 0.5m range, 20dB gain, case closed, ignore the EM noises and listen for HFs...

Before SilentDrive

After SilentDrive

The improvement is amazing - the PC is now almost totally silent with the fans all at 5V and the low "whoosing" noise they make doesn't bother me half as much as the ultra-high whine of an HDD. Now I can sleep in peace. :)

MuFu.

P.S. It cost 24 quid. You could probably build something similar for hardly anything if you have some willpower. I do not. :p

2. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got two of these as well for a brace of Western Digital drives that were also p******g me off with their high pitched whine. They made a HUGE difference. And the drives haven't been cooked (yet).

Next time I will buy a Barracuda V.

Dave48

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    LOL, that's good to hear, thanks. :)

Yeah, the novelty of walking into my room and not immediately hearing HDD whine still hasn't worn off it. It's great - the speed of the WD with the acoustic levels of the Seagate.

MuFu.

4. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would this be worth it with a 60gb seagate Bara IV??

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, definitely not. The Seagate is extremely quiet as it is and runs too hot to be used with the SilentDrive anyway.

These things come into their own paired with something like a WD800JB drive, resulting an extremely fast drive with little or no noise. :)

MuFu.

6. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thxs MuFu....just that i saw the blinding offer for the 60gb Seagate IV @ Jungle for £49 inc vat and i'll persuede myself i really need one!! hey it's always good to have extra space!!:p