1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mole wanted.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by paulfoley, Jul 14, 2005.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Is there anybody reading these high def posts that know more about Skys plans e.g box pricing, new subscription costs, exact dates, confirmed channels, etc.

Now that Sky have launched their site, surely it wouldnt hurt for a few snippets to be posted ? Of course if you want to register with an alias & post loads then feel free !

:lease:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Those will be well-guarded secrets ! Nobody off less than executive level at Sky will be privy to that information. It's too valuable to their rivals.

The ordinary folk in the call centres are told stuff on a "need to know" basis. They only got to hear about the new Sky package structure a few days before it was publicly announced.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Posting such information would almost certainly be a breach of contract if you were an employee - and would certainly be a disciplinary, if not a sacking, offence. Information like this is commercially sensitive, and not the kind of thing anybody who knew facts concerning would be sensible to reveal...

4. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ^^ All that is true, but we will find out soon :) It's human nature to want to pass things on.

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    But who would Sky get rid of if the post was from Betty Swallocks in Toytown?

:D

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well the IP addy may give it away, and dont be so sure there arent MOLE out there or people in the know, ie know a bloke whose wifes aeroobics instructor is shagging the head of technical services at sky, or any number of experts that the brought in to advise test and demo kit with there are huge numbers of people involved in this from STB manufacture that should be well underway now to edit equipment suppliers and even camera operators who have been on Courses etc chatted in the canteen or bumped into an old mate in a hall there were lots of rumours flying round at CEDIA

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hmmm.... I would think they would have better things to talk about in bed, than whether the channels would be PPV or subscription, or whether the component outputs would be disabled during PPV events :rotfl:

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Actually, I do have a "mole" inside customer services - that's how I know that they only found out about the new channel packages about 3 days before they were officially announced, because he sent me a private message. He also told me that one of his colleagues in customer services was sacked recently for posting on "the other" forum.

9. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few guesses.

£399 for box

£10 a month for HDTV service

Feb 2006.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Dream on ! :rotfl:

11. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I reckon 2 Point could be very close ! What do you reckon then Nick ?

:rolleyes:

12. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Can't be much more. They do not have the content to make it worthwhile.

13. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thinking that way meself, after all, all we will be mostly getting is cloned versions of another channel but in hidef/upconvert.

Apart from non sky channels, we wont be getting anything that non hd viewers wont be getting as well...imo of course :smashin:

Al

14. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sky are very hot on monitoring these forums (and others) and stopping sensitive information coming out. I have through the company I work for some connection to Sky but have got into trouble for posting on the digitalspy forums information about Sky+ before it came out. I know I won't risk that sort of trouble again and it's not fair to expect others to just to satisfy general curiosity.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    £399 for a box ? Maybe. The price of the HD package ? Would depend on the content/number of channels. Don't forget that these will be brand-new channels, for which new transponder space will have to be paid for, not upscaled versions of existing stuff. I think £15 - £20 a month extra would be nearer the mark.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I hope you are over estimating:)

While the channels are new the content isn't since SKY will already have access to all the programming in SD already unless there is going to be new HD only programming but that's unlikely unless it comes form a third party operated channel.
    I suppose the question is when SKY signed the new movie contracts last year was provision already laid down for HD versions and any premium asked for, we may never know even if SKY says the HD sub price is to pay for the extra charges:)

I would be dissapointed if SKYworld HD (good a name as any) would be priced any higher than £52.50 (sept '05 onwards).

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As I said, it would depend on the content. Nobody knows how many channels there will be, or how many hours per day of HD material they will show. I've heard seven channels being bandied about, but since the source of the information was not divulged, I can only assume it was pure speculation.

18. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Saw this over at Digitalspy, if true it at least confirms a £10.00 charge per month. He doesnt seem too impressed though does he ?

"Don't bother with HD. I have been involved with tests and it isn't that great. You only see the real benefit on shows with high detail such as a rock concert. The high detail you will see on football is blades of grass. Woohoo.

At an extra ten pounds per month plus several thousand for a TV set, it really isn't worth it until there is lots of HD content out there, not just a little bit from Sky. A few movies, some idiots kicking a ball and a few American TV shows does not justify the cost.

Sky only has one HD studio therefore can only only produce one HD sport show per day (two at a push - more if they come direct from the OB).

As for it being great in the states, it is! That's because you guys have gone from NTSC to HD. And NTSC is rubbish! PAL is a pretty good standard and produces some good pictures as a result."

19. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "it really isn't worth it until there is lots of HD content out there, not just a little bit from Sky. A few movies, some idiots kicking a ball and a few American TV shows does not justify the cost"

:lesson: research shows that there's one idiot born every minute unfortunatly :rolleyes:

Al

20. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    And remember don't bother with colour TVs the only real colour you will get is the green on the grass and we all know its that colour already....

21. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Why even bother with a TV just listen on the radio.

22. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Radio 5 Live, no less!
    Someone who's been made redundant with an axe to bury or is talking well below his waist level.
    Perhaps both!! :D