mojogoes low….His Best Movie Subwoofery Moments....!!

or

Data-Bass, thats it! thanks Richard.

I posted in the subs thread but this is the right place for it. Logan, the scene where prof X is been held captive and his mind is causing paralysis of his captives. Logan is fighting to get to him, the bass during this scene keeps building and really provides a sense of pressure on you. When it stops it's like a release, it works so so well!

Just watched "6 Underground" on Netflix- every millisecond of it is full of low-frequency shenanigans 🤯

No way you can get good sound from streaming garbage... :laugh:

No way you can get good sound from streaming garbage... :laugh:
Yep that's why I don't even bother, and not looking forward to the day when discs are no longer available. Everything streaming is designed for lousy sound bars :)

Having amassed a library of 100+ 4K UHD Blurays comprising of the usual suspects for demo-worthy clips, I managed to secure another couple of heavy-hitters in the current Amazon "2 for £25" deal.

'Aquaman' is a bass assault from beginning to end but I'm not sure it is in a good way. I think it is somewhat overdone to the point where a stickleback farting would shake the couch. Admittedly I do like full immersion which explains the dual SVS PB-3000s up front and dual XTZ 1X12s nearfield all running 6-8dB hot with an ascending house curve and BEQ engaged.

'Godzilla: King of Monsters' was a very pleasant surprise! Given the storyline is absolute bunkum with a capital B, I was pleased to see it didn't prevent Millie Bobby Brown's emerging career from continuing to soar. But it is the Atmos track that offers a masterclass in mixing by producing a perfect hemispherical sound bubble. The sound engineer who delivered the LFE channel is a true craftsman. I was only listening at -10dB MV due to the -3.5dB advice of the accompanying BEQ file. From the beginning to the end the subwooferage was immense yet consistently appropriate for the visuals although I'm not sure whether there was intended camera shake or my ceiling-mounted projector screen was resonating from the pressurised room! I don't think I own a disk with more LFE content. Absolute bargain!

Here's a link to the Amazon offer, I think it runs to the end of the year. Other "must own" discs available include 'Mad Max: Fury Road', 'Kong: Skull Island' and 'It', both Chapter One and Chapter Two.

Amazon 2 for £25 Deal

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
godzilla kotm is great for deep gutteral bass.

Is there any risk of killing your sub by doing so?

It's not completely risk free. If you load a BEQ file and then play the wrong content you can end up sending a very hot signal to the subs which could damage things.

If you follow the process though there's no issues. BEQ boosts content back to the same level as the content above the rolloff so it's only the same as if you were watching content that hadn't been filtered.

I finally watched Aquaman at home (well, most of it, I'll finish it tomorrow), and oh... my... $deity... It's just insane.

Just caught this Netflix festive offering - "Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey" hits incredibly hard and low in the bass department! I would best describe the film as a mashup of "Hamilton" and "The Greatest Showman" with the cheesiness turned up to eleven. I certainly didn't think I would need to fasten the sofa sealtbelts for this one so I was pleasantly surprised. You get a singing Forest Whitaker and Ricky Martin along with a flying steampunk version of WALL-E and a liberal dose of stop-motion animation, so what's not to like :smashin:. It may just appease the family over the holiday season and allow you to grin at the subwooferiness your system delivers.

Not a movie but my sub likes the series Life Below Zero.

Tenet, all of it.... it's a bass monster!!
I might regret saying it in this thread, but it was too much in places! I couldn't hear the dialogue half the time (accepting this is a general issue with Nolan movies and not just down to bass)

The nun is awesome for bass around 37min imark felt like my sofa moved brilliant

The nun is awesome for bass around 37min imark felt like my sofa moved brilliant
Just finished watching The Nun 5 minutes ago, it's got lots of good bass.

Switch ya brain off as you sit ya self down to watch and it's quite a good movie. I really enjoyed it ! 🤟

watched The call last night it’s a loud bass heavy movie

I might regret saying it in this thread, but it was too much in places! I couldn't hear the dialogue half the time (accepting this is a general issue with Nolan movies and not just down to bass)

Agreed, glad you said that as I did wonder if the cat had been down the back of the sub and rubbed up against the gain again. Don't remember it being like that at the flicks which made think something wasn't right.

I had had enough after 30min turning volume up and down so frustrating if I do go back to it will have to be with subtitles , or god forbid tv speakers

Yep that's why I don't even bother, and not looking forward to the day when discs are no longer available. Everything streaming is designed for lousy sound bars :)
Is this true? Could this why I’ve not been satisfied for all these years with my movies? I’ve only ever streamed or downloaded.

Is this true? Could this why I’ve not been satisfied for all these years with my movies? I’ve only ever streamed or downloaded.

Not strictly. It's not related to streaming, it's just that modern content is often filtered below about 30Hz. This is true on the UHD as well, just look at the latest release of WotW.

Now that streaming services offer 4k at a good bitrate and lossless sound, they're getting much more comparable to disc based content. Don't get me wrong, I'll always take disc based when I have the chance, but I wouldn't not use streaming because of quality anymore. If that's the only place content is available then do be it.

Just look at things like The Boys or Altered Carbon. AC is considered reference image quality even via netflix.

Altered Carbon was 20Mbps with Atmos.

Edited to confirm that, although it has Atmos, it's not lossless as I'd assumed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom