mojogoes low….His Best Movie Subwoofery Moments....!!

Overlord has an awesome sound track, one of the best I heard for a while. It is mixed a little hot though.

You could tell the audio nerds had a lot of fun with it! :D

As you say a little hot but quite enjoyable nonetheless. Nowhere near as ott as Aquaman thankfully. :smashin:

I know its not quite relevant to this post, I am in the middle of watching Hobbs and Shaw I had to check that my sub was switched on, the Atmos Soundtrack has next to zero bass I am only 30 mins in but lots of Action so far was expecting some deep lows.

I know its not quite relevant to this post, I am in the middle of watching Hobbs and Shaw I had to check that my sub was switched on, the Atmos Soundtrack has next to zero bass I am only 30 mins in but lots of Action so far was expecting some deep lows.

This is the reason why we use Bass-EQ ;) Spend all that money on subs yet put up with 30hz filtering :rolleyes: (that's the dotted line you're hearing)..

3z0MYoK.jpg

This is the reason why we use Bass-EQ ;) Spend all that money on subs yet put up with 30hz filtering :rolleyes: (that's the dotted line you're hearing)..

3z0MYoK.jpg
I'm using Audessey so no REW capabilities to rectify this nonsense from studios. To be filtered that high is ridiculous. Especially as my sub is capable of going down to 19hz

By the way where did you get that photo with the measurements?

Last edited:
I'm using Audessey so no REW capabilities to rectify this nonsense from studios. To be filtered that high is ridiculous. Especially as my sub is capable of going down to 19hz

Check out the huge BEQ thread, will tell you everything you need to know :thumbsup:

That's OK you don't really need REW, all you need is a MiniDSP 2x4HD, which comes with a plugin (software) that you use to load the BEQ filters for an individual film from a PC/laptop.. you then use a another program (Github) to download the new BEQ filters as and when they're released.. It sounds like a bit of faffing about but it's really simple to do and very effective, takes about 30 seconds to load a file. There's a Bass-EQ thread on here.. Making Movies Sound Better With Bass EQ

The graphs come from the Bass-EQ thread on AVS which is here. This is where all the graphs are posted, they are then added via links in the OP, and the filters are added to the Github repo. This is all done by a few members who keep everything up to date and maintained..

That's OK you don't really need REW, all you need is a MiniDSP 2x4HD, which comes with a plugin (software) that you use to load the BEQ filters for an individual film from a PC/laptop.. you then use a another program (Github) to download the new BEQ filters as and when they're released.. It sounds like a bit of faffing about but it's really simple to do and very effective, takes about 30 seconds to load a file. There's a Bass-EQ thread on here.. Making Movies Sound Better With Bass EQ

The graphs come from the Bass-EQ thread on AVS which is here. This is where all the graphs are posted, they are then added via links in the OP, and the filters are added to the Github repo. This is all done by a few members who keep everything up to date and maintained..
This is interesting stuff, but to load up individual Filters for each film is a bit much. So how would someone know the actual correct bass level a film should be set up at even though it has been already filtered incorrectly? Or is the whole point of this to simply bypass the filter to go as low as the subwoofer allows?

This is interesting stuff, but to load up individual Filters for each film is a bit much. So how would someone know the actual correct bass level a film should be set up at even though it has been already filtered incorrectly? Or is the whole point of this to simply bypass the filter to go as low as the subwoofer allows?

Honestly it's no hassle at all (well if you want decent bass for these filtered movies) ;)

It's simply bringing the filtered content back in line with the rest of the bass (as you can see by the graphs) It's done by very knowledgeable people and while it involves some guess work, it's very educated guess work. There are limits to where they rarely go beyond (usually -15dbfs which is the scale on the left of the graph)

Most commercial subwoofers have built in protection so yes your sub will only go as low as it can play..

Honestly it's no hassle at all (well if you want decent bass for these filtered movies) ;)

It's simply bringing the filtered content back in line with the rest of the bass (as you can see by the graphs) It's done by very knowledgeable people and while it involves some guess work, it's very educated guess work. There are limits to where they rarely go beyond (usually -15dbfs which is the scale on the left of the graph)

Most commercial subwoofers have built in protection so yes your sub will only go as low as it can play..
Thanks I will have a read of that thread later. Before I do why are these films filtered in the first place ? We already spend those extra pennies on gear to get that what director intended and all that.

This is interesting stuff, but to load up individual Filters for each film is a bit much.

Here I did a quick video showing how long it takes to load a file..

Thanks I will have a read of that thread later. Before I do why are these films filtered in the first place ? We already spend those extra pennies on gear to get that what director intended and all that.

That's the question everyone wants to know.. Many films aren't filtered at all and have bass down to well below 20hz.. But they are becoming quite a rarity these days. Some say they're catering for the soundbar crew, some say it's artists intent :rolleyes: But for those of us who spend thousands on subs it just makes these films sound crap and lifeless.. :(

I hope my fav film the LOTR Fellowship is not filtred as as i am sure the dvd extended box sets i used to watch had those deep lows and i did feel like the blurays where lacking i still have the dvds so will be giving them a test even though they are a dts only

I hope my fav film the LOTR Fellowship is not filtred as as i am sure the dvd extended box sets i used to watch had those deep lows and i did feel like the blurays where lacking i still have the dvds so will be giving them a test even though they are a dts only
As far as I can tell the DVD and Blu-Ray have similar bass, which has a typical 30Hz rolloff

(DVD v BD) are graphed here Lord of the Rings, Extended Edition DVD vs BD

:D damn even a comparison to a dvd and BD of Fellowship has been measured with graphs and everything impressive stuff

Judging by the graphs as richardsim7 already mentioned it looks like they have been filtered as well at the 30hz mark. I will still be giving the Mines of Moria a ear test just to be sure

:D damn even a comparison to a dvd and BD of Fellowship has been measured with graphs and everything impressive stuff

Judging by the graphs as richardsim7 already mentioned it looks like they have been filtered as well at the 30hz mark. I will still be giving the Mines of Moria a ear test just to be sure
BEQ's for all 3 LOTR films here.. Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I know which version will sound better ;)

There was no comparism to the dvd vs Bluray soundtrack of the The fellowship the the DTS-MA audio sounds amazing plenty of 30hz filtered moments that still thumps and loads moments of midbass punch aswell its just a great sound mix

I love this film :D

There was no comparism to the dvd vs Bluray soundtrack of the The fellowship the the DTS-MA audio sounds amazing plenty of 30hz filtered moments that still thumps and loads moments of midbass punch aswell its just a great sound mix

I love this film :D

Now just imagine how it'll sound with some extra weight around and below the 25hz mark :)

At the moment i can only imagine :(
Always better ;) Watched Hobbs and Shaw last night with BEQ and it sounded pretty impressive, certainly had some 10-25hz that had the room wobbling and the sofa violently shaking :D See the heat map below..

saxpm6Y.png

Always better ;) Watched Hobbs and Shaw last night with BEQ and it sounded pretty impressive, certainly had some 10-25hz that had the room wobbling and the sofa violently shaking :D See the heat map below..

saxpm6Y.png
What volumes do you listen at. I was not impressed with H&S there was one moment right at the end when I got a low freq rumble. Will do some reading up on.the dedicated thread.

What volumes do you listen at. I was not impressed with H&S there was one moment right at the end when I got a low freq rumble. Will do some reading up on.the dedicated thread.
Usually -10MV, depending on the movie, sometimes a bit louder (up to -5MV). I only run my subs 2db hot as well.
It wasn't the best BEQ experience I've had, it's quite hard to gage them when everything sounds good.. :laugh:

Usually -10MV, depending on the movie, sometimes a bit louder (up to -5MV). I only run my subs 2db hot as well.
It wasn't the best BEQ experience I've had, it's quite hard to gage them when everything sounds good.. :laugh:
-10 is when I get all the impact. But I normally listen at -20-15 depending on the film. Beq would definitely add that extra weight at lower volumes.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark has some thumping bass

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom