1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moire on vitros?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rwgdegraaf, Feb 4, 2003.

1. rwgdegraaf

rwgdegraaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought myself a Loewe Vitros 6370ZW, I really like this television but i have same (small?) problems. The images on the screen are pretty good, but if there is some large darkblue, the screen really begans to shaking on that blue (I don't know how to say it), it doesn't make a difference where the blue is on the screen on the left in the middel or on the right!

Is this the moire effect, or is it something else?

I only have it with dark colours and especially blue and it is very noticable and very annoying too.

I think I only saw it on cabletv and not from DVD untill now.
    Can anyone gave me advice what to do, is it normal, is it a problem, do i have to go back to the shop because I like the TV and I don't know what to do?

Please is there someone who can inform me about this issue?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Perhaps groundy could offer an opinion.I seem to recall he had a similar situation. (try a search also ;) ).

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Lynx ;).

There is a thread with details and descriptions/solutions to the Loewe Moire problem here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51973

What you are describing sounds different though as Moire does not cause a shaking effect. It's just a static pattern. I can't say I've heard of any shaking on Blue problems :confused:.

4. rwgdegraaf

rwgdegraaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy, thanks for your reply.

Shaking isn't the best description, but on dark backgrounds the screen is becoming to wave on that background. It looks like waving but only on that, mostly darkblue, background the other colours looks fine to me. It doens't matter where it is on the screen so it isn't only left or right but everywhere on the screen!

I don't know if it is moire or something else, maybe I can reduce it with some change of settings?

Do you know what are the best settings for this television?

Thanks allready, I like the performance of the television but hates the waves on the screen!!

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I don't know about your tv but generally the best settings are 65% contrast, 35% brightness, sharpness 0 and ai off and colour fairly low( try playing toy story 2 and lower the colour so that the big red button on buzz lightyears chest is contained but still colourful).
    Good luck!

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could be a genuine problem you have but if you want to play around with some settings, try:

DMM off
    DMI off
    DNR off
    Sharpness 0 or 1

Contrast 38
    Color 32
    Brightness 25

As ever though, optimal settings will vary according to individual preferences and the Tv set in question.

7. rwgdegraaf

rwgdegraaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again,

I changed the settings but it doesn't change a thing!
    Well what is happening, with backgrounds with dark colours, especially darkblue but also dark red, the screen on that background begins to flicker, to distort, but only on that dark colours. I don't know how to discribe this better.

It isn't moire I think but what can it be, it is in all modes, panorama, 16:9, zoom but i didn't see it with DVD untill now, but only with cable tv.

I hope someone can tell me what it is and how to deal with it.

8. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At first it sounded like a problem with the power supply on your tv but since it only occurs with cable tv I wonder if it might be the cable you're using. Perhaps you are using a different quality of cable between your tv and digibox compared with dvd, I would swap the dvd scart cable with the digibox cable temporarley, just to see if the shaking is eased.

9. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    rwgdegraaf,
    i have exactly the same problem on my Panasonic Tx36PB50, and have been trying to sort this out for 4 months.
    I have been told it may be the scan coils, but I am having a nightmare with shop and panasonic themselves.
    let us know if you get it sorted

10. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Wavy geometry is normally indicative of either inadequete power supply or power supply going faulty. This is normally visible with strongs bright blocks of colour. Currently trying to get my money back on a Philips Pw9607 as this suffers from this and many other faults but my retailer ain't having it as apparently it is within specification (according to Endeva & Philips). P Smith (you seem to be in the know ) do you have any other information on this type of problem as it would be very gratefully received can this be expected etc... Thanks:)