moire on philips ?

-Jay-

Ex Member
Reaction score
hi
i have a philips 32pw9576 & down the left & right of the screen is this effect that looks like cat wiskers.the dots that make up the screen have a shape like cat wiskers.in the middle on the edges of the screen is this moire & if so can you get rid of it.it happens on sky/dvd/xbox

Hi liverpool,

i thought moire was only a problem with NTSC material, but im no expert. I did however read that to fix moire on any set you need to de-focus the crt. You can then refocus it to a point where it looks good but doesnt have the moire. A TV engineer will be needed.

hi i`ve been looking on some web sites at moire & that is not what i have.what it is the dots that make up the screen seem bigger at the edges so that when a face or anything for that matter is at the edge they have little black dots on them & the pattern is like cat wiskers how they curle.the pattern is about 3" thick.
does anyone have this on their tv or do you know what it is.

This is a feature of Panasonic tvs. I read somwhere that panny and phillips use the same tubes. It is not a fault. On my panny 36 tv I had, the edges of the screen had bigger 2dots/pixels" than the rest of the screen. yopu could also see the bigger dots when the set was switched off.

hth

shaun

well you can`t see it when my set is off but now i know it is not just me that see it.i think my tv has the panny tube as i seem to have all the faults that the panny tvs have.

I would have thought that Philips and Panasonic tubes are completely different.Philips use the Blackline S tube and Panasonic use the Quintrix tube.If one tube is in another,then your are not buying what you paid and asked for.

My last 6006 Philips had this pattern at the far left and right of the screen with intermittent colouration banding.

My present Philips 6515 has not,thankfully,but you can still see a similar fainter pattern with no banding.

definatley phillips and panny tvs (some models) have panny tubes.

shaun

i looked last night & my tv has the philips black line s tube.i`m getting my replacement soon & i hope it has not got this problem.

I also have a Philips, Is the only way to see If you have a Panny tube to take the back off & look???

mine is new so i`ve still got the box & it said it on that. so if you don`t have the box you could only tell by taking the back off i think.

Well the box Is long gone now so It look like Its time to get the screwdrivers out!!!

Originally posted by MURFER
I also have a Philips, Is the only way to see If you have a Panny tube to take the back off & look???

You don't need to open the set, as a matter of fact Philips obscure the Panasonic or MDDG logo on the tube with the chassis sticker. An easier way to identify the tube is to look for two small dots on either side of the screen (most visible in bright images). If it has dots, it is a Panasonic tube. If it does not, it is an LG.Philips tube.

The Panasonic tube trades in uniformity, color purity, freedom from moiré and flatness for a finer dot pitch. Where it is focused it is slightly sharper than Philips tubes, but does not compete in overall clarity. It's got quite different compromises. The reason Philips are using Panasonic tubes is that they cannot produce enough tubes of their own.

RealFlat Blackline S is not the name of the actual tube but just a marketing tool that Philips feel they can apply as they wish, Philips tube or not. The actual name of the Philips tubes is "Cybertube" and that of the Panasonic Quintrix F tubes "Flatline Super Pigment Plus".

zacabeb can this dot pattern on the sides of the screen be got rid of. or at least toned down as they are strating to **** me off.
cheers

I do not think you will be able to make the 'dot patterning' any less visible.
The only tools at your disposal are the picture settings, and these cant alter how the glass crt has been manufactured.

man why the hell would they want to make the edges look like this.i just don`t like it the dots curle very strange indeed.

its just the way it is. Its to do with picture quality. Your not the only one but unfortuanatley you have noticed them. Many people wont see them. You will just have to try and forget they are there or get a different brand tv.

sorry matey

shaun

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom