Modular monitor mounting system (rail systems?)

Been working from home for the last 6 months and I need to up my game when it comes to desk and mounting the 3 monitors I was given.

I still find my self changing how I have the monitors arranged depending on what I am doing this week, I feel like I never have them where I want them when I want them (guess still getting use to the whole multi monitor thing). Also the monitor stands have a fairly big footprint on the fairly narrow desk (600mm deep).

I was in a customers/clients HQ office up in London a month or so ago and on the desk cubical walls they had this rail system and then monitor mounts hang on the rail. There is a pinch wing bolt on the bottom you can slacken off and then just move the monitor left or right on the rail, it also go rid of the monitor stands and gave you more room to spread out with paperwork when taking notes. It just seems like some sort of extruded metal profile/french cleat type thing mounted into an cubical panel?

Anyone know where I can get something like this for wall mounting?
I have been googling and can find the monitor mounts "fits most rail systems" but have had zero luck finding the actual rails that you can mount to a wall, only seem to find office cubical panels.

If I am going about this the wrong way I am completely up for suggestions? I tend to have two screens in landscape and one in portrait as I look at lots of PDF's,

jimscreechy

Amazon is a good place to look. Most are made for desk mounts (of varying type) but there are also quite a number with dual mounting systems and of course some specifically for wall mount... though they are not particularly cheap.

Sun

Hi @Euromancer, I've used the mounts you're referring too before, and they're good. You want something like this I think?

Now it doesn't specifically say wall mount, it is desk mount but if wall mount is your only option I can't imagine it would be too difficult to fashion something out of brackets that sat against the wall above, below and at the side to lock it in place.

I'm planning my new desk setup as well and had completely forgotten about these so you've hactually helped me too :)

jimscreechy

Hi @Euromancer, I've used the mounts you're referring too before, and they're good. You want something like this I think?

Now it doesn't specifically say wall mount, it is desk mount but if wall mount is your only option I can't imagine it would be too difficult to fashion something out of brackets that sat against the wall above, below and at the side to lock it in place.

I'm planning my new desk setup as well and had completely forgotten about these so you've hactually helped me too :)
Yeah... I don't think that is going tgo suit for what he wants

Amazon is a good place to look. Most are made for desk mounts (of varying type) but there are also quite a number with dual mounting systems and of course some specifically for wall mount... though they are not particularly cheap.
I found with Amazon it's 95% desk clamp mounts and then wall mounts. What I did consider are those grommet mounts since all the cables would go down the tube, would be less clutter showing. But never really found any modular systems.

I have found this:
System X Horizontal Mounting Bars

And then it seems you can pick these up on ebay for £50 which are £25 less than retail at office supply sites.
Kardo-Tool-Rail.jpg

That's what was at the HQ building or something very similar, At the end of the day it's just extruded aluminium profile right? Granted the profile needs to match so lets say 25mm centre to centre on the track and repeated 3/4 times high, then each lanes internal profile?

Sun

That's what was at the HQ building or something very similar, At the end of the day it's just extruded aluminium profile right? Granted the profile needs to match so lets say 25mm centre to centre on the track and repeated 3/4 times high, then each lanes internal profile?
Yeah I would say so, I looked at the link you posted, it was interesting because as far as I could tell it's the same thing as I've posted but with the benefit of not having the partition screen attached, that seems to be the only difference, doesn't it?

It's not a "system" as such, it's just some metal with some appropriately sized channels in it, I would feel it's worth a try that if monitors mounts are being advertised as "fits most rail systems" then there's a common size in place for this type of product. They probably refer to them as systems for the corporate world to try encourage take up of multiple related products, mounts, rails, laptop holders, privacy screens etc.

Your reasoning seems very sound to me 🙂 what's your next step?

Last edited:
Yeah I would say so, I looked at the link you posted, it was interesting because as far as I could tell it's the same thing as I've posted but with the benefit of not having the partition screen attached, that seems to be the only difference, doesn't it?

It's not a "system" as such, it's just some metal with some appropriately sized channels in it, I would feel it's worth a try that if monitors mounts are being advertised as "fits most rail systems" then there's a common size in place for this type of product. They probably refer to them as systems for the corporate world to try encourage take up of multiple related products, mounts, rails, laptop holders, privacy screens etc.

Your rasoning seems very sound to me 🙂 what's your next step?
That's the dilemma,
Part of me wants something that looks nice and easy to add/move monitors around
The sensible part of me thinking HOW MUCH for a bit of metal with channels in it!!! :)
Don't think the actual mounts are too over priced, just the rail thingy, it extruded not CNC milled I don't get it.

The main reason I wanted to go down this route was ease of mounting and flexibility.
And I have tried to mounting, granted different types of mounts in a row all with differnet offsets and erm it didn't go well.

Maybe I should just buy 4 of these and make some sort of template on a bit of MDF as a drill guide? Since the desktop will be on the level/straight, I make the guide with the factory edge on the desktop side and lay it up the wall?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom