Modifying marantz cd-63ki

krishen

was wondering what the implications of modifying my current cdplayer. do mods such as superclocks capacitors etc make a difference to the sound? are any of these mods able to be done by myself? any1 had level 1 upgrades for this player? audiocom do it for 275 pounds is this worth it?

Levi-501

Standard Member
In my experience these a great players and respond well to all manner of mods.

For undertaking mods on your own, you may be better off chatting on a DIY Hi Fi forum, or zerogain-Zanash and a few others are very keen to help others.

I myself have the Marantz own DP copper plated modification.

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
The CD63ki was not the best player around of it's time despite the glowing reviews it got. While it did some things quite well it's failings were far to obvious. In this respect any mods that have been devised for it (probably for this reason & it's popularity at the time) would likely improve on those failings. Whether it really is worthwhile forking out such dough to upgrade an ultimately failed (IMO) CD player is another matter. It might be better to save that money & buy a s/h player of more modern ilk.

krishen

two different points of views there. levi do you think the cd player sound improved after modding it? i believe the marantz is a gd player for the price i paid for it (147) but as i have recently upgraded my kit to quite a few notchs i believe the player is the weak link. a relitive of mine has had two of his players modded by audiocom and thought has mf a3 sounded much better after modding. he has recently modded has shanling cd-t100 and is waiting to recieve it. it will be interesting to see the outcome. is there any easy methods of modding that can be done by myself?

Advice I was given by someone on here although looks like I will be selling my whole set up so not done it myself so couldn't possibly comment:

"hi, try trichord research website they give advice or you could ring them,they're very helpful,they usually reccomend a guy called colin from cpt acoustics,i sold mine to try a marantz cd17 ki with clock4,never connected psu,and other capacitor replacements,beleive me if you get your ki clocked it'll blow away any thing £1k+ i should know i had a naim cd5x with a flatcap psu,and the 63ki modded wiped the floor with it"

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
......beleive me if you get your ki clocked it'll blow away any thing £1k+

:eek: anything? surely not.

i should know i had a naim cd5x with a flatcap psu,and the 63ki modded wiped the floor with it"

Well it beat the CD5. Not a player I thought was outstanding either (no disrespect to what you like).

Levi-501

Standard Member
Since having the DP modification undertaken on mine, I can honestly say, it has more life and envolvement than any other CD player I have heard.

May not be to everyones tastes, but I have had it now for two years, and I can say I have no intention of replacing it with anything more expensive, exotic or similar.

I use it with a Bent Audio custom built silver wired pre amp and Rega power amps, and IMHO, it sounds outstanding.

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
Since having the DP modification undertaken on mine, I can honestly say, it has more life and envolvement than any other CD player I have heard.

May I ask what is involved in that modification? It surprises me that such a "small" outlay can have such outstanding results on an otherwise "entry level" CD player. You'd have expected Mr Ken Ishiwata to implimented a few of these tricks for a few bucks more & made it a sure fire winner in the CD market. At least this was his intention in the first place.

alexs2

May I ask what is involved in that modification? It surprises me that such a "small" outlay can have such outstanding results on an otherwise "entry level" CD player. You'd have expected Mr Ken Ishiwata to implimented a few of these tricks for a few bucks more & made it a sure fire winner in the CD market. At least this was his intention in the first place.

Having got a quote and description from Audiocom of what they would do to my X-DAC3,that I intend having upgraded,the mods include changing a lot of the very cheap caps commonly used to Black gates or Os-cons,upgrading PSU regulators,changing the cheap op-amps,and obviously the clock.

All in all not a very expensive task,but a fair bit of work to be done,and a lot of it directly in the signal path,removing the cheap and sometimes nasty components used.

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
Not my advice but what I was told by someone when I enquired about Trichord mods a while back.

OOO yea. A paragraph from an anonymous member. :oops:

:lesson: Don't rush reading posts while at work :)

Another :lesson: Find more playtime while at work :D

Yet another :lesson: Don't believe everything you read (don't include my posts in that :laugh:).

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
Having got a quote and description from Audiocom of what they would do to my X-DAC3,that I intend having upgraded,the mods include changing a lot of the very cheap caps commonly used to Black gates or Os-cons,upgrading PSU regulators,changing the cheap op-amps,and obviously the clock.

I don't disbelieve these mods make a difference, although I'm not sure changing some cheap components for some better spec'd counterparts is the route to audio nirvana as it is made out to be.

I played about with a Naim Nait 1 quite some years ago. Changing ALL the signal caps for black gates, some of the resistors for Rodenstiens & a few diodes for schottky barrier types in the rectifier stage along with some other small mods not targeted entirely at the electronics & I can say that it did not turn a Nait 1 into a NAP 250 but it did turn it into snap, crackle & pop a few times :D. Otherwise when it was up & running it without doubt make quite an audible difference but still had the usual Naim trait of running out of steam when pushed to hard. In many ways tho' it (err :rolleyes:) out peforms a Krell 300i (may have something to do with the Naim speakers it drives) but could never become one. I just wished I had a original Nait to compare the two performances.

alexs2

I don't disbelieve these mods make a difference, although I'm not sure changing some cheap components for some better spec'd counterparts is the route to audio nirvana as it is made out to be.

I played about with a Naim Nait 1 quite some years ago. Changing ALL the signal caps for black gates, some of the resistors for Rodenstiens & a few diodes for schottky barrier types in the rectifier stage along with some other small mods not targeted entirely at the electronics & I can say that it did not turn a Nait 1 into a NAP 250 but it did turn it into snap, crackle & pop a few times :D. Otherwise when it was up & running it without doubt make quite an audible difference but still had the usual Naim trait of running out of steam when pushed to hard. In many ways tho' it (err :rolleyes:) out peforms a Krell 300i (may have something to do with the Naim speakers it drives) but could never become one. I just wished I had a original Nait to compare the two performances.

I can see what you're getting at....I think the (ab)used term synergy has a lot to do with all of this.

Some mods,using the right components,in the right places DO work,but others dont,irrespective of cost or component quality,and I think that's the bottom line of it.

I changed some of the coupling caps etc in my 300B amps from cheap polypropylenes to (expensive) PIOs and found a very large increase in sound quality,but the mods suggested there were very specific and related only to caps in the signal path as opposed to PSU etc.

Another example is people who fill their gear with Black Gates and then wonder why the sound quality isnt great for the first several hundred hours,and then reverts to zero each time the thing is switched off.

Levi-501

Standard Member
The DP Modification was undertaken by Marantz about two years ago.

Apparently the CD63 is KI favourite machine, and he has never stopped tweeking it.

They took somewhere in the region of 30 machines (I could be a little out here) away for complete overhaul/rebuild incuding the gorgeous copper plating. This was done to improve earthing and eliminate eddy currents.

Many things were change, the power suply, components in the signal path and what resulted was IMHO, a CD player that does not sound digital !

I am not an electronics expert, so do not know the complete details.

Hi Fi World did not an extensive review prior to customer machines being collected.

To sum up, it is/was sonically a fantastic modification.

I am not aware that they are still doing it, but I know Heart (Holland) do some very good modifications. Also the Trichord is also a well recognised mod.

karkus30

Banned
This has been covered many times in recent memory. Do a search and the threads will unfold. I run a highly modified Marantz CD80 and have not yet come across anything that I like better. The reason for this model, others like the Arcam 5 and older Naim players is the inclusion of the 1541 single or double crown DAC.

The 63 is supposed to react well to modifications but I dont think it contains the 'magic' DAC so is limited in that repect..........however if you like it then who is to say whats best.

krishen

as long as the sound improves i think the upgrade is worth it, rather than changing the whole cd player. is there any other reputable places that do modifications?

zanash

Standard Member
Well I'm hear as well .....

I've done a 67 which was the latter version of the 63 ....to great effect if you need any help or suggestions pm me

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom