Modifying a sound bar for use as a centre speaker?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by karldonteljames, Feb 11, 2014.

1. karldonteljames

karldonteljames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all. I'm after some advice please. I currently have an eltax symphony centre speaker, but we are redecorating at changing the TV, so I would like to slim down the centre speaker.

I've been looking at sound bars purely for the aesthetics, I know these are active and require low level input, however I was thinking of purchasing a broken one and converting it to passive. I've been looking at the lg NB2020a its only 40w (20w sub and 20w speakers) however I was wondering how much of this was the built in amp over the speaker power.

I have a Sony amp currently driving a set of Tannoy M3 cherrys at the front and another pair of eltax rears, although I've just purchased some wharfedale PPS-1s to replace the rears.

Does anyone know if it possible? Thanks.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Personally I would look at a proper passive soundbar for the front 3 if you want to go down this route. Something like the Wharfedale LCR would be ideal.
    The chances are the drivers in the LG will be low impedance and hence cause issues with your amp. Unless you know the impedance of the drivers and how they are combined together then this is not a route I would go down as you run a real risk of damaging your amp.
    The other option would be to replace the front 3 speaker will smaller satellite speakers.