Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

modify us gamecube?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by keyser, Jun 2, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know I´m probably asking questions that have been asked before, but all help is appreciated. I have a US gamecube and here come the questions:

1: Can the US gamecube be cracked so it can play european games?

2: How do I get the best picture quality, I plan on buying a TV, what combo would be best? I currently have it S-video, but a RGB scart mod would be better wouldnt it, are there any TV´s coming that can take progressive scan from the components (and why not buy an USA HDTV instead of like the PALplus, what would be the downside of that) Is the best combo a good TV like the palplus and a RGB mod, or a Tosh TV and component inputs?

3: If I get my Cube modified for RGB scart for my current TV, can´t I then use components if I maybe buy a TV with such inputs in the future?(does the RGB mod have the same picture colours as the s-video, because on my old super nintendo I had a rgb mod and some of the colours were dramaticly different than my uk snes, I remember in one game the sky was purple on my rgb us and just blue on my pal one)

4.What TV do you suggest I would buy? I´m thinking about the a 36" palplus (is it coming later with a different philips tube) when it arives here in iceland, I think I have to wait til next winter for it. Can´t use uk tv´s here i think because you have vhf sound and we have uhf or something.

please help

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only heard about boot disks on the net that enable import gaming on a european Gamecube... I'm sure the same company will enable PAL games to work on NTSC consoles as well... But then you're better off buying the games online. At least you will be assured of full screen, full speed games and not poor PAL conversions. Just look at Final Fantasy X on the PS2. Plus the games will often be cheaper...

An RGB modded cable would be the best bet for european viewing thats for sure. As for TVs that have prog. scan capabilities... Only the new Toshiba model has such a feature. As for buying a US HDTV... If you've got the cash then you could. I was imagine that the shipping would be pretty steep along with the custom taxes however.

As for the last question it depends if you really must have prog.scan at all costs. The RGB picture will do for most, but I suppose you want prog.scan as much as I do so you'd be better off to wait a few more months and see how it all pans out.

You would have to buy another component cable to use that feature. The RGB mod isn't a hardware one like the SNES, you have to mod a component and a SCART head. The info first broke out at lik-sang and now a few sites have the info posted around.

The RGB mod would offer a better picture thats for sure. I haven't had my SNES modded yet because its dying >_< Bought it on launch and used ever since so I might get another one and mod that.

If prog. scan is a must then wait for the new Toshiba and pray to god that you don't have a faulty unit. Just make sure that you get cover for any faults. As for the other TVs, the Philips and Panasonic TVs rate v.highly for me but they don't have component inputs. Picture quality IMO is on par with the Tosh, especially with a digital source.

Hope that helps.

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks alot for your very helpfull reply.
    1.Where can I buy these bot discs so I can play pal games on my us cube and vice versta (i have a us gamecube and my little uncle has a pal one, so it would be great if we could trade games)

2.Where can I see how I mod my cube to RBG?

3.what´s the name of this tosh tv that can take progressive scan signals, and do you think that the progressive image would be better than the higher resolution phillips pixelplus one?

Thanks again.

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs mate, glad to help out. So far anyway the boot disks are vapourware... Someone said on these forums that Datel will be releasing the boot disk sometime in June/July. I personally would rather a hardware mod via a chip.. But we'll wait and see. NTSC games are better than PAL anyway since they will run at full speed full screen. Not every gamecube game has the 60Hz option... But then its your choice.

I found out the news first via lik-sang.com. Heres the full link to the place - http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.groundwater/
    Please note that you need a Scart head, a component cable and a resister.. The full details are on the site anyway. I've got both the DVI and Component cable so I'll be modding mine in a week or so.

All I know is that its the next model up from the Toshiba 36ZP18P/Q... I don't know the full model number myself just yet. I want to know as well since I might give it a try.

Prog. scan would certainly give a better picture than Pixel +, mainly because the signal would be pure and not processed - which leads to smearing, esp. for viewing sports and fast DVD films. If you have the option to go for prog. scan then I would recommend doing so... If not then RGB + a Philips TV won't hurt at all.

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NeoBlade:

Just to correct you, Lik-Sang did not break the news first about the Gamecube RGB Scart Cable. I did. They kindly asked me if they could link to my site to which I agreed. The site you posted above is my site and those instructions were written by me. ;)

A bit of free advice. When modding your Cable, use the D-Terminal instead of the Component Cable. This provides a much neater solution for the switching voltage issue. See Section 5 on "Modding the Q" for full instructions. I no longer use the Component Cable in any of my mods. :)

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy, yeah I noticed mate. When I clicked on the URL on your sig it was the same place. I just thought I'd mention that I found it first via lik-sang, which posted your link, rather than saying lik-sang are responsible for the RGB mod details. My apologies for not stating it clearer (plus I didn't know you own a site, along with millions of others on the net).

Full credit deserves to go to you alright since I admire the peeps that develop such mods, esp modchips since you need to know plenty of technical detail to make it work.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to use the DVI cable because my mate has a projector and he's buying a Gamecube, so I'd need to keep the component cable around. All that I need now is a prog. scan compatible TV...

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No worries NeoBlade ;). It's just that Lik-Sang are a bit too presumtious sometimes. Credit also goes out to "Oscar" at AtariLabs for discovering the original YPrPb to RGB DAC modification via VGA connection (RGB HV). I modified the cable further for RGBs via Scart by including the sync from the standard AV cables Composite signal.

Now RGB gaming can be enjoyed by all :).

8. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Brilliant. Thanks guys. I think I´ll wait a little and see if this tosh progressive thing will come true. I guess I will see it somewhere here first , right?

9. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What would happen if I plugged a rgb scart euro plug to the back of my us gamecube, nothing?

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll get sound but no picture.

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
  12. Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought both the NTSC and PAL SNES' standard supported RGB...?