Modified Xbox 360 - Pros and Cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southeastblue

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any info on modded Xbox 360's?

I've heard they get auomatically banned when updating software on Xbox Live unless they have a certain version of Ultra flashed on them?

Somebody is offering me an Xbox 360 modded but I'm wary of not being able to play on Live... It's pretty cheap though at £140...

Shall I take it? Is there a way to unblock banned systems?

Once a 360 is banned its banned for life, it will still work fine but you will not be able to use it on live. The one and only advantage of a modded or flashed 360 is it allows you to use backups on the machine, nothing more nothing less so its not as usable as say a modded original xbox.

Apart from no xbox live, I dont think MS will touch if you need to send it in for repair.

I don't think it's worth getting one to be honest, as there are more cons than pros... imo

I would love it if the hackers could sort out ripping the games to the hard drive, and then playing them from it.

This would get rid of the noise from the DVD drive, which really, really gets on my nerves.

I genuinely would not pirate any games, I would just love to have a quieter 360.

Cool maybe I'll give it a miss as ideally I wanted it to play Forza 2 online against/with my brother.

I've had another offer of an Xbox 360, hard drive, wireless control, lead etc... yet it's Japanese.

The guy says because of this it's region free... But yet again would it work OK on xbox live? Anyone here got a Jap version?

Thanks! :cool:

The japanease version will work on Live, but since not all games are region free, a lot of UK games will not work on the console.

So basically the guys lying by saying it works region free? I've done a search on google and can only find that some games are region free... Nothing about region free consoles.

Does anyone here have a Jap system?

Am I right in thinking this would also need a power convertor?

You must have some crazy friends, one with a Mod 360 and another with a Jap :eek:

Just stay away from them both ;)

Not friends... Just people I've selling Xbox 360s that I've sourced through the net.

The search goes on for a 360! :rolleyes:

If I was buying today I would possibly consider an Asian console due to cheap games from playasia(nearly always $39.90 or $44.90). Not to be confused with the Japan version though, the NTSC/J Japan games are a different kettle of fish from the NTSC/J Asian ones, with later release dates & often a higher price than even the UK Pal games.

Be careful what you buy in other words. By the way most of the Asian version 360 games come in English language, some are region-free so will play on any console but not all, EA for instance are always region-locked.

I'd be more worried about the fact it now has no warranty. A 360 with no warranty is bound to end in tears.

Not friends... Just people I've selling Xbox 360s that I've sourced through the net.

I think your looking in the wrong places. Hunt around and you'll find brand new core packs for around £150.

John Lewis are selling their Core systems for £130. They will also price match their other stores if your local one isnt at that price, and they will also mail order from your nearest store (So i've read).

see here (A HotUKDeals thread).

John Lewis are selling their Core systems for £130. They will also price match their other stores if your local one isnt at that price, and they will also mail order from your nearest store (So i've read).

see here (A HotUKDeals thread).

Sounds good I'll have a look! Thanks.

The japanease version will work on Live, but since not all games are region free, a lot of UK games will not work on the console.

Does M$ detect the region of the 360 being used and where it's being used? If so, wouldn't you get banned for that?

Does M$ detect the region of the 360 being used and where it's being used? If so, wouldn't you get banned for that?

Whether they can or not I can't answer but if they can then they are not bothered about it. I've used my original US Xbox on live as well as my US Xbox 360 for years and never had a problem. A lot of others have done the same.

Managed to win an auction online core system with memory card - £142 delievered on ebay. Plus comes with the box. Fingers crossed it works ok.

Annoying thing is somebody just offered me a Core system, memory card, and PGR3 for £115! :( Already payed for the ebay item so I couldn't do anything. DOH!

You can buy a brand new core for £150

You can buy a brand new core for £150

Boots website is out of stock and don't include shipping which is £20. That's £170 straight away.

Haven't found any links to £150 brand new consoles with free delivery.

most places are still about £180 without delivery! :eek:

I'd still rather pay a few pounds more for a new one especially when it comes to the 360.

I'd still rather pay a few pounds more for a new one especially when it comes to the 360.

Judging from ll the hitec stuff in your sig you can afford to.

I bought a second hand one 'cos I'm on a budget! ;)

Judging from ll the hitec stuff in your sig you can afford to.

I bought a second hand one 'cos I'm on a budget! ;)

Well all that has been purchased over a number of years and from hard earned money and at the expense of other things I wanted to spend it on. I appreciate that some people will be on a budget but I still would not buy a second hand 360 and would rather wait until I've saved some money to buy a new one. The only time I would even consider buying one is if it was from a personal friend. There are just too many issues with the 360 to risk buying a second hand one.

Got to agree with Moogle . Have often thought about importing a US 360 ,but the issue of reliability has always put me off . By the same token I would never buy a 2nd hand one .And I am not loaded either ..but sometimes cheap works out more expensive in the long run.

I have a NTSC j Asia 360,works perfectly with my UK XBL account and i have no problem playing online game, but you can only run either ntsc j or region free games, pal wont work.

The big advantage being that NTSC j (asia) games are half and in some cases three times cheaper than the UK RRP, plus 99% are in English.

As for modded 360s,steer clear of them, if they have not already been banned they will be, and once that happens you will have lost half of the benefits of having a 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom