Modest DIY sub

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Yairisan, Jun 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yairisan

Yairisan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking to build a modest sub to take bass duties off the FR and FL Celestion SL6s. Love the sound, and the Cel's can muster a lot of bass clout (plenty for me) , but their surrounds are showing signs of cracking so would like to put less strain on their cones for LF excursion.

Anyone that thinks the SL6s are slouches have got it all wrong. But they are showing their age and would rather not destroy them during a bass heavy movie!

The amp is a Denon 1612. Old, but sounds great to me. Just need a sub to lift that duty from the Celestion SL6s.

Cheers

2. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    Modern speakers don't tender to offer vast amount of bass, so you might find there good in the bass stakes.

Adding a sub would would help the surrounds much as these channels contain little below 80Hz.

Maybe if there are signings of cracking and your happy with them, you could replace the drivers. Could be a fun project. Ive seen a few site which you could google and get ideas

3. neo_2009

neo_2009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    How much are you looking to spend and what are the maximum dimensions you can use for the sub box?

Is this for a music or HT system?If for both, which is the more important?

4. Yairisan

Yairisan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Movies and music: All genres. System gets the odd 5.1 music workout, too. The Celestions are lovely speakers, but are working beyond their design limits at times, hence the concern.

$200 is the limit really. It would need to be no more than a 10" driver, in a fairly snug box. I am toying with the idea of spreading the load over two boxes/drivers, having them double as 'tables' to place drinks on at both ends of the sofa (WAF prevails - I snook the center speaker in there and got away with it. A subwoofer might be pushing my luck though.) The table idea gives me some leeway with box dimensions, I suppose, but compact is definitely up there.

Rather than plying for the proverbial holy grail of extended-yet-tightly-controlled-bass, I'm OK with just filling out the bottom end some, and extending the life of the Celestion SL6s.

5. Yairisan

Yairisan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I should look into replacing the rubber surrounds. I have performed this surgery on a pair of Electrovoice speakers, but they were the proper replacements, and were a more typical paper cone/foam surround affair. There doesn't appear to be an official replacement surround for these drivers, which are something of an oddity with a seamless cone/surround design, which is supposedly part of their magic. (And they are magic speakers IMO, despite all the online flak they get!)

6. neo_2009

neo_2009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. gcogger

gcogger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Given what you want the sub for, I'd suggest saving some money and getting something like a second hand Wharfedale SW150 sub. It doesn't go very low, but is very tight and musical in the range it does cover. It would come in way under budget too :)

8. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    DIY>off-the-shelf

9. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
  10. Yairisan

Yairisan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I did look into that model, and while it's apparently a nice piece of kit, it won't go any higher than 85 Hz—more like 50 Hz—which means the poor old Celestions will still be having to deal with that region, which is where they are getting beaten up slowly but surely.

Thanks for the tip, though. Certainly looks to be a good piece of kit, indeed.