• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Modes P-A-S-M

tontoshorse

Prominent Member
Hi, anyone help with the setup modes P A S and M? I have lost my instruction manual for my Fuji Fine pix and I'm trying to set it up for my daughter to take on holiday (in 2 hours time!). Could anyone give me a clue?

many thanks

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
P is program mode, use this most of the time, it is like an auto mode.
A is aperture priority, if you want a specific aperture, use this.
S shutter priority, use this if you want to control the shutter speed.
M is manual, you shouldn't need to use this, it allows you to control the shutter speed and aperture.

Peakoverload

Established Member
Probably:

P = Program. Set to that and then select one of the scene modes from your menu e.g. landscape, portrait etc

S = Shutter Priority. Set the shutter speed you want and the camera will choose the correct aperture to match it

A = Aperture Priority. Set the aperture you want and the camera will select the correct shutter speed to match it

M = Manual. You set aperture and shutter speed yourself.

Peakoverload

Established Member
Or what Jazz Monkey just said ;)

barongreenback

Established Member
I disagree with using P most of the time - horrendously limiting to the quality of your photography. You may as well just buy a point and shoot with no creative controls whatsoever (on the proviso that I don't know if the Finepix's creative modes are any good).

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
He said it was for his daughter, I was assuming shwe is quite young and only really wants to point and shoot, therefore P is ideal for holiday snaps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom