• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

modern Sony TV to (only) Stereo amp - cable question

bugbear6502

Standard Member
Following the acquisition of a Sony KDL-40HX853, I wanted to connect it to my (high quality) stereo/music system (so hmdi and optical are not an option).

I looked (both in the manual and on the unit) for RCA phono "out" sockets, in vain.

Some (increasinglyfrantic) googling revealed that "audio out" on this box (and other recent Sonys) is done via a dual-purpose 3.5mm mini-jack (blech), which is switchable in the menus from "headphone mode" to "audio mode".

So; I need either a 3.5mm to RCA female converter, or (ideally) a 3.5mm to RCA male cable.

I headed to a supplier I've used before, tvcables.co.uk.

3.5mm To Phono Cables | Audio Cables | Jack To Phono | 3.5mm to 2x Phono TVCables

OK. They do the cables I require in 5 brands: "Profigold", "Techlink", "Professional", "Premium" and "Lindy".

Their site offers no guidance whatsover (other than an implication by price) about the merits or properties of the various brands.

I have tried to call their "Expert Technical Advice" phone number (0207 100 4874) for 4 hours to no avail.

So - can anyone help or advise?

BugBear

bugbear6502

Standard Member
OK. They do the cables I require in 5 brands: "Profigold", "Techlink", "Professional", "Premium" and "Lindy".

Their site offers no guidance whatsover (other than an implication by price) about the merits or properties of the various brands.

OK. I'm (at least half of) an idiot.:confused:

Whilst there is no general "brand comparison" anywhere on the site, the individual item detail pages do (in fact) list all the information I need.

My mistake was wanting to decide on the brand BEFORE going into the detail.

BugBear

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Any general purpose 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 RCA lead will do.
There will be no audible difference between any of those leads and a £2-£3 one is all you need.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom