Modern Replacement for my cassette deck?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stevedster, May 6, 2007.

1. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am currently upgrading my Hi-Fi setup. I would like to replace my cassette deck with a modern version as I no longer have any cassettes!

Was looking at something like this, but it seems very overpriced...
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-640H-SIL

Now what I really want to know, are there any multimedia HDD enclosures that have a phono loop (2 sets of phone in/out) like my current cassette deck which I could simply plug into my Hi-Fi amp?

All help is welcome, thanks :)

2. Tice

Tice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what your budget is but this may be a viable alternative :

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2292

£200 cheaper with a bigger hard drive but it will only store uncompressed data (which is no bad thing). It provides a number of recording modes including an Auto Period option which is ideal for recording FM/DAB broadcasts and the editing facilities are unbelievably good. On the down side, all track information has to be input via a keyboard rather than automatically through the internet and the HD can't be backed up although you can burn CD's. It also has the 2 sets of in/out phonos you're looking for.

3. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for that, what about any of these multimedia HDD's / enclosures that I have seen floating around? I like the idea of them as they are cheap plus I can put a whopping great HDD in them. anyone?

4. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hmm been looking and the closest thing I can find is this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hard-Drive-HD...0QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[​IMG]

Its got one pair of L and R at the back, which is just gonna have to do by the looks of it. However this is from America, anyone point to an online store where I can get one in the UK? Would also be nice with a USB2 or card reader built into the front so I can transfer MP3's and recordings to it without moving it.

So essentials are...

1. L and R inputs.
    2. USB or card reader on front.
    3. An LCD screen would be nice but is not a must.

Thanks in advance guys.

5. Arfa

Arfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Dunno if I'm just restating the obvious, but have thought of just getting a basic quiet PC or Mac Mini? You want something to record too, hard drive you say, so you're not bothered about taking the recordings away from the hifi? A PC can be made pretty quiet, especially if you go for mobile or older processor, which runs cooler and needs less fans. Laptop hard drives are much quieter than desktop one, but can be still fitted in your desktop. There's numerous graphics cards and PSU's with passive cooling these days (ie no noisy fans). Just get a good sound card like an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or a Creative Audigy or X-Fi.
    I have a Creative Audigy sound card in my PC, with the line in/out hooked up to the tape loop in/out on my amp. I just use the open source app Audacity to record/edit stuff, then just compress as I like. Apps like iTunes, amaroK, Winamp and FooBar2000 are great for no compromise playback and media organisation.
    Sure you need a screen somewhere in your setup, even if you do get a good remote for handling playback. But I reckon it would prove far more versitile, give you lots of editing functionality and be much more intuitive once you have more than a few dozen recordings.