Modern Mosaic equivalent?

Digsy 1971

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently own an old OFA Mosaic. I got it 6 years ago and so far it has been able to cope with anything that I've bought to add to my AV system. OFA still supply upgrade files for these old bricks, even if you can't get them direct from the website or over the phone any more (how good was that system????). I have always been able to get an upgrade by e-mail after a few days' wait though. I'm hoping that they will shortly be sending me files for my new LG plasma and SlingMedia SlingCatcher. Fingers crossed :)

However it got me wondering if there is another remote out there that is a modern equivalent? It would need to be:

Fully touch screen. All "soft keys" with only a few hard buttons rather than the other way around like most remotes.
Fully configurable keys (i.e. put any symbol you want on any Key).
Macro-capable.
Upgradable via the internet.
Sub £100!

I suspect the last one might be the issue. Back when I got my Mosaic the nearest thing was the Philips Pronto, which cost a bazillion times more.

Before anyone screams at me to get a Harmony - I detest them. I bought my girlfriend one for her AV system and I spend more time telling the remote what the poxy Actuivity buttons did and did not sucessfully switch on and off than I do watching films. Also the web-based setup is clunky and sooooo sloooooooowwwwwwwwwww. :)

I saw a post on here about Prontos going cheap on eBay, so that might be worth a look. But is there anything like the Mosaic out today? A fully touchscreen remote that doesn't break the bank, is easy to configure and actually works?

Who might be able to do one?

Who might be able to do one?

Do you fancy one?
It's a nice looking remote and certainly got good pedigree but I must say the software is a little clunky.
Mine's just pitched up today, I ordered it together with the RF base which comes with a stack of emitters.

Who did you order it from? I can't find anyone who sells them on the web.

Even their one and only official stockist (SmartHome) don't list them in their catalogue.

ok guys forget this product, it's crap!
it looks the part but in use it's dismall.
Xantech make some clever products.... this isn't one of them.
i was offered this at an unmissable deal of a price, i should have passed.
regards mark

Back to Mosaic then - that was a real brick.:D

2nd Hand Prontos are several orders of magnitude better than the Mosaic (I still have mine in my loft)

I now have a Pronto RU950 (well 2 of them, a charging dock and a an RF extender) You just can't compare the mosaic to the Pronto. My Pronto cost me about £55.

Even the original Prontos are heaps better than your Mosaic and available for about £20 on Ebay if you're lucky.

If you can afford it the NG remotes are the way to go though

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom