Modern film/video interpolation

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cherrcherryball, Feb 14, 2014.

1. cherrcherryball

cherrcherryball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I think that is the best thing to call it, on my old crt I never once noticed problems but on I can tell the difference between a modern programme and a older one i.e more modern ones often have scrolling text issues, or pan and scan is bad.

After years of wondering what was wrong I came across a article online that mentioned about the effects of playback speed and framerate, I knew videos were filmed different but It reccomended a codec pack that let you readjust framerates to whatever you wanted, now this helped HUGELY with videos on my pc as it got rid of the problems with scrolling text, and pan and scan movement was smoother but still not perfect but not jumpy anymore.

I was just wondering things like who notices problems with playback, my friend never noticed it until I put on a film with loads of zooming and pan and scanning then reopened the blu ray with the better plugins and he admitted how shocked he was.

Also wondered the real world reasons for this i.e do more modern tvs have less options to process the image resulting in the issues I mentioned, or is it something like response time

2. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,081
    Th old crt set could display and interlaced picture so there was no processing to do in the set itself. Any film rate conversions or slight speed ups were done by the TV company.
    New sets display a progressive image and that is why they can get caught out when transmission contains scrolling text on a background that is also progressive. Sometimes they are out of step and you get break up of the text. Sets are getting much cleverer and can detect 2:2 cadence and even a conversion from 60 fields 3:2 pulldown.
    But look at it this way, the old CRT was only showing half frames every 50th second. All flatscreens show a whole frame (which of course has to be constructed if the source is interlaced)