Modern Equivalent of WD TV Live

JeffGaines

Novice Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to post a "what is the best.." question so I will try and be specific.

I am on lockdown because of this dreadful Coronavirus and have taken the opportunity to sort out my digital media. My films are pretty well all in VOB format and VLC Media Player says they are MPEG 1/2. My WD TV Live plays them with no problems but they can raise issues. My QNAP NAS won't stream VOB files (due to copyright issues they say) so I installed Plex server on it which streams then fine. My "smart" Panasonic Blu Ray player won't play them but if I convert them to mp4 it will.

What I want is an up to date WD TV Player that will play whatever is thrown at it. I am happy to research, I can't go anywhere, but what are these things called nowadays?
I found a Roku but the description is all about connecting to Netflix and loads of other services that I've not heard of, I don't now if it would play stuff streamed over a home network.

Can people advise me (a) the generic name of the device I am looking for and (b) and particular makes that are good/bad.

Many thanks.

First, it might be easier for playback on the majority of devices if you use mkv toolnix, to convert vob files or other media files to mkv.
It is quick.

Ruku, will playback online services like netflix, which you pay for

For Kodi (libreelec/coreelec) this will play back media over a local network, ie NAS

Android media players, lots of cheap ones out there.
Libreelec or coreelec installed onto android box. bit of work needed
Raspberry Pi
nvidia shield
small factor pc's

Plex, will playback media over a network, also easy to playback media away from home.
Note, you will need a plex server, which you could probably install on your qnap. In fact before spending money, install the plex package to the qnap, & copy movies to the nas hard drive. mp4 should play ok, but not sure about vob, so use mkv toolnix to convert first.

Just thought, installing plex to qnap, gives you the server, you will need a client for playback, if you have a newish tv, it might have plex app.

Forgot to answer part b of your question.

This is my personal take, forgetting HDR+ atmos etc

Best, Nvidia Shield Pro not basic. about £190, Based on android, so netflix, freeview catchup except channel 4. Kodi. Plex, server & client.
Amazon Fire tv 4K stick, can be on offer for £30, only wifi, so large movie palyback might not be great. netflix, & catchup tv apps available. Kodi & Plex, still needs Plex server
Raspberry Pi, with all bits, can work out expensive £70? needs DIY
Small factor pc, with windows, you can install Kodi, plex server & client. £150 ish
Cheap Android tv box, circa £40, kodi & plex clients, still need a server for plex.
You can install Libreelec or coreelec, takes DIY.

Forgot to answer part b of your question.

Thank you very much for both your replies :)

mkv toolnix is certainly fast! Handbrake took 1.25 hours to convert a VOB to mkv, toolnix took 5 minutes!
I will have to think about & absorb the rest, looks like the Nvidia Shield Pro has been discontinued unfortunately.

Thanks again.

I doubt the shield 2019 as been discontinued. Just problems getting hold of them.

if you a PC and you want convert video file use this current giveaway

if a Mac user

Just ripping DVD

Do not need Netfix, Amazon etc 4K Android app playback ( only get 480 mobile )

I suggest this

Also for reference.

Want to playback on PC , DVDFab Player 6 Ultra Free 1 Year License – 4K UHD Media Player

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom